Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Review the final draft of my portfolio

I've been working on my personal portfolio for some time, and I'd like some feedback on two things specifically: The design itself, and it's components, the layouts and typography. Also, I've been ripping my hair out trying to write a good About me page. Any help there is appreciated.

The contact and portfolio pages are not yet complete, but the design is the same. To be clear, I want critiques of the design, and the index/about me page only.

There is an error in Chrome that puts the white text of the about me page over the yellow heading, and I cant figure out what's causing it.

x64Designs - Home

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The error on the about me page is caused by 2 things:

1) Lack of a defined width on your bio paragraph. Since your layout is fixed, you can get a way with a fixed width here.

2) Remember TheGAME1264's Immutable Law of Floats: When you float, you must clear. You need to clear floats because the height of a floated object isn't related to the height of its parent (in this case, the section tag).

Fix both of these things, and you should be fine.

Now, if you're looking to be hired (as I suspect you are), you're not going to get much useful feedback since the key elements to your site are going to be the portfolio pieces and your contact page. Those are the two you haven't started and the two places potential employers will look (I know that for a fact, because I am something of a potential employer). One thing I'd suggest is to go through your copy:

've been doing web design for mine years. I got into it when I was about ten years old, and did it as a hobby amidst school work, and internet games. The one thing I've learned through doing this as a hobby is to never underestimate someone because of age.
    That should be "nine" years.

The overall tone of that section isn't going to get the message across, either. Smart employers don't give a damn if you're 20 or 200. They give a damn about your portfolio and what you can do. A negative message like that only serves to try and convince others who you probably won't convince anyway, so it's not even worth saying that. You want to try and stay positive here if you can (and yes, I'm aware of the hypocrisy of negatively communicating a "stay positive" message).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks for the feedback man, I always get excellent feedback from you.

What about the About page specifically?

Also, I cleared the parent "wrapper" div with the clearfix hack. I need more than that?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hey Kyle, I think your site is looking good I really like the typography and image in the header, also the nice little fade effect on the logo.

One thing I might mention is that when you hover over the menu text the yellow color is a little hard to read. I think some text shadow might fix that up nicely. (a quick tutorial if your interested : CSS3 text-shadow property)

Also, I do like the the look of X64D across the bio....but it is a little distracting to the actual text.

that's just my two cents, hope it's helpful. I'm also trying to work on a portfolio site so I'm right there with ya, lol.

Member #
    I'm thinking about putting a translucent background to give the text more emphasis

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
    Thanks for the feedback man, I always get excellent feedback from you.

What about the About page specifically?

Also, I cleared the parent "wrapper" div with the clearfix hack. I need more than that?
    That's 'cuz I'm f**kin' awesome like that.

You'd need to put the clearfix hack on the section itself. Personally, I prefer the last technique listed here, given that Microsoft retired support for XP and all their other OSes pretty much automatically update unless IT depts. specifically tell them not to (which most smart ones won't):

Force Element To Self-Clear its Children | CSS-Tricks
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads