Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Will my Wix Website have a harder time of getting ranked high in search

my website is this. [EDIT: moved to URL box by TheGAME1264]

Will it be a waste of time to try to rank this website domain above. Wix says it Search Engine friendly, but has any one heard about ranking prolblems with a Wix website.

Thx for your time and thoughtful answers.
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; May 14th, 2014 at 08:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Sure they say it's "Search Engine friendly"...they're giving it to you / selling it to you. I don't know how long you've been in business or whether or not you've actively marketed it, but chances are if you've been around long enough one of the "phone book" sales reps will have contacted you (YP, 411, etc.) And they will make you all kinds of wonderful promises and talk about all the great stuff they can do! And if you ask the tech guys who work for these companies, they'll just laugh because they know that the sales guys will pretty much say anything because they're sales guys and completely lack independent thinking skills and / or a moral code.

For those who doubt that Wix made such a claim or that it is a claim that got lost in translation, here it is, verbatim:

How can my site be found online and how can I improve my SEO? | Wix.com

"AND I QUOTE" (emphasis placed by Wix, not me):
    SEO makes your site found more easily online and also be ranked higher on search results. Wix is search engine friendly butyou are the one that has the power, you design your site and control it’s settings.
    This is a classic example of one of those promises. First of all, one has to wonder about a company who can't even hire proofreaders that know the difference between "its" and "it is". Second, the regular text following the bold portion indicates who or what makes a site valuable and useful from a search point of view i.e. you. You design it, you control how it works, and you decide the content. Not them. They just provide an "easy-to-use" framework to allow you to construct your site.

If anything, either Wix or the template that they supplied you is holding you back quite a bit. It utilizes a Javascript menu on the top, which can cause problems with crawlers (Google usually figures them out and has in your case, but most including Bing don't). Wix claims that bots will find and navigate the non-Javascript version, which is located at a different URL (not true). They've basically handed you a template full of bloated code that will cause nothing but headaches in the long run.

The site you have, if you proofread your copy and get a proper template for it, could be designed fairly inexpensively (a few hundred would probably get it done) and hosted for about $10-$15 a year for a decent domain and no more than $5/month for the hosting. So for the first year, you're talking about roughly a $400 investment, tops. If it's built right and marketed minimally, you probably won't pick up all that much traffic (your target market is roughly 200,000 people based on crude math from population statistics I quickly looked up), but what you do pick up should convert, whereas the site you have built now probably won't. I don't know what your net profit per job on average is for the services that you offer, but chances are you'd pick up a few jobs a year out of this and that would probably make the extra investment worth your while.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads