Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Corporate website, looking for critiques to improve our site

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Corporate website, looking for critiques to improve our site

Would really appreciate some advice on how to up our game on our corporate website for a company selling [EDIT: link moved to URL box by TheGAME1264].

Thanks!
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; May 25th, 2014 at 07:06 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    1) You probably don't want to use a theme.

WordPress - Delicate | Responsive Multi Purpose Theme | ThemeForest

2) I'd suggest not using W*rdPr*ss at all, but I'm in the minority on that (I don't care, but I'm in the minority).

You've actually done a decent job of improving the load time compared to most WP sites, although I suspect that's largely the WP Total Cache plugin and I've seen that one cause problems in the past with my clients who use WP. So not bad.

Looks nice overall, although I haven't the foggiest idea what any of this stuff does.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Man every where you look is a wordpress site... AHH they are taking over. I made a custom design the other day and the client said oh it looks like a wordpress site lol..

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    So do cockroaches. Quite frankly, I'd rather deal with a cockroach problem than a WP site.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Why do you think I shouldn't use a theme? Do you think there is some negative SEO effect of using a theme? Or is it just that if the customers realize its a theme it gives a poor impression?

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Option 2. It's like using stock images...sooner or later, they get recognized.

Member #
    Hi,
    I took the liberty of popping your site through our simulated eye-tracker and UI/UX analyser. The heat map is attached below:

surfaceoptics.com1402001054-final-overlay.jpg

The design is pretty high impact (score of 70%), particularly the big picture which changes. It's also quite a balanced site (balance 92%) meaning that it doesn't lead users through a predefined path. It's pretty even on the simplicity/information scale, which is probably about right for a site like this.

Compared to other similar sites that act as "billboards" for companies, it sits in a similar position to USPS.com or FedEx.com.
    optics_graph.png

You can run your own tests for free at [EDIT: link removed by TheGAME1264. Please don't drop them again. Thanks.]
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Jun 05th, 2014 at 03:25 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Jon: that's an interesting heat map, but please don't drop links and you probably should explain more about those figures and what they really mean. You've come up with a few generalities, but most people won't know what they're looking at.

Member #
    Sorry, didn't realise I couldn't link to the site. Won't again!

The heatmap shows what people are most likely to look at. Redder on the heatmap means most attention. The impact score I gave is a about how strong that attention grabbing is. You can compare this site to other top US sites on the graph by comparing the size of the orange bubble to the blue. As can be seen, this site is towards the higher impact end of similar sites.

The position on the graph represents flow/balance and simplicity/information. This site is quite balanced (towards the left) which means the hot spots don't lead a user through a particular path. It's in the middle on simplicity based on the number and distribution of hot spots, which is perhaps a bit more simple than similar sites.

Remove Ads