Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: First post; love some feedback <3

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

First post; love some feedback <3

Hello lovelies,
    I am a photographer, not a designer. Ill say that right now. I hired a friend to help me connect everything and make some basic changes and such but I have to say Im still not happy. I am focusing now on not appealing to everyone, but instead doing what I want with the site and changing A LOT of stuff around. I am a christian, I added my testimony video to my about me page, and I am going to be changing the Logo as well as the colors very soon! But anyways, suggestions for layout and other stuff I'd appreciate

Also I am here mainly to learn! I currently use squarespace as my website, but if I can learn coding and such I will most likely switch to wordpress and build an awesome site there!

I'd help if I added my site huh? lol sorry about that! It's [EDIT: TheGAME1264 moved the site to the URL box.}

Thanks and I look forward to getting to know some of you!
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Jun 07th, 2014 at 09:21 PM. Reason: needed to add site

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Hey Missy, you didn't leave a link to your website... Anyways, welcome sister in Christ, glad to have you here, enjoy the community and add your link.
    missy likes this.

Member #
    Oh my gosh I noticed that and laughed so hard at myself. I thought I updated it though! did it not update?

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Overall the site looks nice, the colors work well together, even with some of the photography, which is what I would have done if possible. One of the only things I don't like is the font choice for your quotes. Its hard to read and I am not that old lol.. I understand the idea behind it, making it personalized/set-apart but you should use a different font. Other than that I think the website works, and will serve its purpose.
    missy likes this.

Member #
    Yes, it was made to be appealing to everyone and I like that, I really do, but I want to stand out and be different as well with my true personality standing out. And those are not my favorite colors lol. The font thing, I totally agree have no idea how to change that though. I am trying to learn so I joined this forum. Is there any way to search for topics maybe specific to 'squarespace" which is what I use. thank you for taking your time to look and give me your thoughts, i really appreciate it!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Its not bad at all. The font is, like Fireproof said, hard to read but other than that the only advice i can give on how it looks now is that the menu when on a phone is very large . I had to scroll down more than id like on my iphone5 to see all of the menu options. Id shrink it by making it so once it was clicked or hovered over the main nav would appear and hovering/clicking on specific categories would bring u to a sub menu or to the page you wanted.

Is your site going to be set up as a way to generate business? Or for yourself personally. Build the site to appeal to your target audience. If you are trying to pull in clients and business it is a better idea to appeal to those clients rather than just to yourself. It may be a daunting task but with the right research and time you can make your site appealing to others while still showcasing your creativity and personality. If you cant, maybe consult a designer or hire out to get the site done.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First of all, you'll never appeal to everyone no matter what you do. That's a noble goal, but it's also very unrealistic for the same reason that you've outlined here:
    So, I want to give you some tips on how to make sure you do end up choosing the perfect photographer for your family, even if that isn't myself, because just like any other relationship, I believe that not all photographers and clients are great matches. Each session with a family should be an experience, and without that 'connection' between you and the person doing your photo shoot, you can lose out on what could be some great memories for your family!
    Although I am like you in many ways I'm sure, we are all made different, unique, and special. Each family lives a particular lifestyles that suit you. And each photographer also runs their business in their own 'style' that works for them.
    If we're all unique, we're all going to like or dislike different things, right? In your case, you've indicated a niche...women and their families. So cater to them. What I like or dislike as a man really doesn't matter all that much, even though I do have a family of my own. Ultimately, your most valuable opinions will come from women from the purely design point of view, so cater to them first.

Side note: that page should say "Why Choose Me?"

Second...I get that you're a Christian. I get why you're happy to have found Jesus. I get that He plays a role in your life. I'm an atheist myself, but I have no problem with Christianity or any other religion as long as no one tries to force it down my throat or turn zealot on me. As long as no one gets hurt and no one's expected to swallow blue Kool-Aid, we're good.

With that said, there's a time and a place and more importantly a website that you'll want to use to talk about that, but this isn't it. There are a lot of women out there from many other faiths, and none at all, that could potentially be your customers. A message like that could completely put them off even though you meant no harm by it. Maybe you build yourself a personal blog for something like this, but this isn't something that belongs here. Again, I mean no disrespect toward your religion...I'm just trying to point out that you'll want to separate faith and business, unless faith is your business.

You do some nice work, too. My daughter would love those Dress Me Up sessions if we could afford them and didn't live in another country.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    On the other hand Game, if someone didn't go to you because you stated a belief on your website then you probably didn't want or need them anyways. I personally don't mind it there, it's on her about page anyways which is a huge part about her, but then again I am a christian myself and believe we should let our light shine in whatever arena we are in whether it be at work or over the net.
    Last edited by Fireproofgfx; Jun 08th, 2014 at 11:19 AM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    Its not bad at all. The font is, like Fireproof said, hard to read but other than that the only advice i can give on how it looks now is that the menu when on a phone is very large . I had to scroll down more than id like on my iphone5 to see all of the menu options. Id shrink it by making it so once it was clicked or hovered over the main nav would appear and hovering/clicking on specific categories would bring u to a sub menu or to the page you wanted.

Is your site going to be set up as a way to generate business? Or for yourself personally. Build the site to appeal to your target audience. If you are trying to pull in clients and business it is a better idea to appeal to those clients rather than just to yourself. It may be a daunting task but with the right research and time you can make your site appealing to others while still showcasing your creativity and personality. If you cant, maybe consult a designer or hire out to get the site done.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    Thank you! Yes actually that is my photography site, like my portfolio, blog ect. and it is ranking in Google on the first page, where I want it to for people searching for photographers. I want to appeal to a very specific target client however, so that is what I am working on doing now

Member #
    Yes but see that is the exact point I want to appeal to 5% roughly of the people that hear or see or think about hiring me. I want to appeal to Christian families and Women that are a good match for me and that we will have stuff to talk about and an actual experience together, so by that turning others off, thats good, let them go somewhere else I am putting myself in my business and my business is a Christian based one, so people will know me as my work and my work as me if that makes sense. I want them to know me more than just the photographer they hired they cant even remember my name, but work with clients that enjoy the whole experience so much they become my friends.
    Its really about psychology and stuff I guess, and yes in your comment you are right, as I stated I FIRST wanted to design to appeal to everyone, then after praying and really really thinking about it, listening to wisdom of others they told me appealing to everyone appeals to no one and that I needed to inject myself into it. Okay cool, well I am that jesus freak and im proud of it. Im honest and my values and principles that my family live with are the same i use in my business and Id like people to know that.
    It made me really happy to hear that you don't like it, because that means I am doing exactly what I want to do. Thank you so much for your compliments and yes those dress me up sessions are a huge hit! lol so cute!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads