Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Review my new portfolio website

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Question Review my new portfolio website

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."
    Last edited by harkon; Jul 08th, 2014 at 07:44 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, kid, I'm going to give you a word of advice...you're missing the most important part of design.

You do nice work. As in...you make pretty pictures. I can't make pretty pictures. I can admit that. But you know who can make pretty pictures? Over half of this forum alone can. That makes you one of a million. Offering PSD to HTML services doesn't in any way distinguish you either.

From the standpoint of someone who hires people such as yourself, I took a look at that and if I had a project that you'd be a potential fit for, I wouldn't hire you. Here are the three reasons from the home page alone:

1) "Port Folio". It's one word. Spell it properly.
    2) The links to DP and Warrior Forum at the bottom of the page. If you're going to tout an association with the narcissistic get-rich-quick cult-of-personality idiots that post there, there's no chance whatsoever I want you touching anything I'm involved with.
    3) Your name. I'm not going to hire someone named "DuneDreamer".

Your content is what people worth dealing with will focus on, and your site is lacking it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Who talks about design? I'm not a designer. I'm offering PSD to HTML services. You are missing the main point of this thread and demonstrating your poor judgment and lack of insight. This is not my design. I found the PSD design online, converted it to html and modified it to suit my own purposes. I haven't made one "pretty picture" from this design.

"Port Folio" is graphic and I did not do it. It is part of the original design
    The links to DP and Warrior Forum are fine. There are a lot of people who offer quality services there and have years of experience in either web design or web development.
    You are right only about my name. I do not want all kinds of people to examine my work or whereabouts using search engines - only those I want to work with.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    So, you're asking us to review someone else's work? And you couldn't even fix obvious flaws? You're either completely inept or hopelessly lazy. In either case, you're wasting everyone's time.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    So, you're asking us to review someone else's work?
    Ronald Roe, are you stupid? Judging by the determination in your answer, I believe that you are. This is my work.
    Last edited by harkon; Jun 29th, 2014 at 02:02 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Your words exactly "this is not my design"

So you changed a few things around and want to call it your work? Doesn't make it your work! Explain to me exactly what "work" is yours.

The port folio graphic you have shows me you just pieced things together if it wasn't something you created. A bad choice of a graphic if you did choose it.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by harkon View Post
    Who talks about design? I'm not a designer. I'm offering PSD to HTML services. You are missing the main point of this thread and demonstrating your poor judgment and lack of insight. This is not my design. I found the PSD design online, converted it to html and modified it to suit my own purposes. I haven't made one "pretty picture" from this design.

"Port Folio" is graphic and I did not do it. It is part of the original design
    The links to DP and Warrior Forum are fine. There are a lot of people who offer quality services there and have years of experience in either web design or web development.
    You are right only about my name. I do not want all kinds of people to examine my work or whereabouts using search engines - only those I want to work with.
    I didn't miss the point at all. You didn't communicate it well. That's not on me. That's on you.

Let me explain to you why that's on you...because you communicated that it's your portfolio website. Portfolio implies your work...not someone else's, PSD to HTML is at least partly someone else's work (i.e. the graphic design); in many cases, the work is already done (e.g. anything bought from Template Monster). There's nothing wrong with converting a PSD to HTML; I've done it. But not as a standalone service. You need to be able to add something to it (e.g. server-side code) to make yourself something other than one of about a million slice monkeys. Come to think of it, that's what we will now call everyone who offers PSD to HTML services from now on...slice monkeys. Hey Ron, you on board with that?

Whether you did the "Port Folio" graphic or not doesn't matter. You could have edited it and didn't. That's lazy. That's like saying, "Okay, I bought a car and because it was sold without a safety inspection, I don't have to make sure it's safe." NIMBY logic doesn't work here. You see a problem, you fix it if you can.

The links to DP and Warrior Forum aren't fine. They're full of vested interest, arrogant, lazy, self-righteous narcissists who have nothing of substance to offer and proceed to show a lot of the same traits you have when confronted (arguing based on fallacy, anger, and abuse).

If you don't want people examining your work using search engines, block them. Two lines in a robots.txt file solves that.

Just so you know, you can call me any name you like in the book and I won't ban you...you can say any stupid thing you want about me and I won't ban you, either. But..and this is your one and only warning...if I see you abusing other member, I will ban you. That includes Ron, Vapr_Arts, and anyone else. It won't be tolerated.
    Ronald Roe likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    ...slice monkeys. Hey Ron, you on board with that?
    I like it. I think we can make it stick.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    At first you were like:
    This is not my design.
    But then you were all:
    This is my work.
    And I'm the stupid one?
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    I like it. I think we can make it stick.
    Sweet. Mr. GAME, make it so!

Oh wait...that's me. I made it so. And now it's stuck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads