Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sstjohn

Thread: Why High Bounce Rate on Boat Classifieds Website?

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Why High Bounce Rate on Boat Classifieds Website?

www.eBoatListings.com is an online marketplace for buying and selling boats commission-free. We started this company (and website) because in our search for a boat to live on in the Caribbean, the tools didn't exist to search for the details we wanted (like a water maker, solar panels, etc). Other sites (like BoatTrader.com, YachtWorld.com, iBoats.com etc) also charge boat sellers extra to post more photos so lots of boats didn't have many photos...frustrating! So eBoat Listings was born.

We launched a little over a year ago but our bounce rate is still pretty high on the eBoat Listings homepage and on the boat details pages (the page where you get the most details about a specific boat). Here is an example of a boat details page: http://www.eboatlistings.com/sailboats/listing/1807/Nautical-Development-Corp-Stevens-56

Any suggestions on design that would help with the bounce rate?

Thanks very much for everybody's help!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Wow...someone's rocking .NET. I'm automatically obliged to help in any way I can just because I don't see a PHP sheeple W*rdPr*ss slapassed site. Awesome.

Define "high" "High" is relative. Figures are the way to go.

With that said, bounce rate is arguably in the top 3 misunderstood website statistics (behind "hits", and "Alexa Ranking"). Pages such as a detail page on a classified site will be more inclined to have a high bounce rate simply because the information a boat buyer might want is already there. Boat, specs, pictures, phone number. A user might not want to go anywhere else after that. There was a Google video put out about this very issue on YouTube, but now I can't find it to show you.

As far as your home page is concerned, this comes under the "could be anything, could be nothing" category. The one thing I noticed off the top is that it's a fixed width, which can cause issues with users on cell phones and portrait-oriented tablets among others. If you can create one, a responsive design may take care of a lot of that problem, depending on how much mobile traffic is hitting the home page. After that, it's pretty much a matter of trying different experiments, seeing what users respond to, what they don't, etc.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I am inclined to agree with theGame. Responsive, mobile friendly sites are in high demand. Also, it might be simply a matter of content overload. The "featured boats" would probably work better if only a handful of boats were showcased. As it is now, the vast number of featured boats loses its nuance based upon the fact that it would seem ALL boats are featured, at least at first glance. Try enlarging the search feature as an attention grabber and call to action instead of a sea (pardon the pun) of listed vessels that make the eye dance all over the place. Also, just purely aesthetically speaking, blue is a massively used color in site design, especially when the theme is inherently nautical. Not that it doesn't work, but it just gets drawn into the cookie cutter idea of "seen one, seen them all" mantra. Think of it this way...you ever drive through a housing complex and all the houses seem to have the same bricks, siding, or any number of collective color schemes? Sure, they look nice, but how many of the houses do you actually remember that stood out from all the rest? it's the house with the bright red door, or the one that was round when it should have, by all accounts, been square. Simply put, its the "against the grain" design that makes the most waves (I know, another nautical reference) and will get users interested. Try mixing up the design scheme and find a niche that stands out among all the others out there, and by all means, make your site mobile friendly
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Something tells me sstjohn is a nautical wheeler who calls himself a sailor.

If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    high bounce rate? could be many things.

here's another idea: if you folks are advertising the site using PPC like Adwords, maybe your campaign is a bit loose, resulting in unqualified leads coming to your site (maybe someone who wants to buy toy boats).

best to check the avg time on page of bouncers. if it's like 5 sec, then it means they immediately weren't interested in your site. if they stayed like 30 sec, that probably means they did some reading, browsing, but in the end didn't care for it.

Remove Ads