Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe
  • 1 Post By Fireproofgfx
  • 2 Post By sasha_bolcina

Thread: Website Layouts And Color Coordination

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Website Layouts And Color Coordination

Hi All,

I am working on a low-budget project (which means no Graphic Designer). I need advice on my websites wireframe. What can I do to improve the appearance (color coordination and/or layout)?
    My client would like to have the following colors on the website: purple, gold/yellow, black and white.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    First, if your client is stuck on those colors, stick to just those colors. Lose the blue.

The rest is my ever-so-humble opinion:

It's hard to say for sure without knowing more about the business, but in most cases, I'd do the background in white, and the text in black. Stick to one shade of each color as much as possible, and use the purple sparingly, mostly as just a highlight color.

I'd keep the yellow for the header, but I'd start the gradient at the color around the center of yours, and only shift 2-3 shades lighter. Set the menu apart by either going white text on black/gray background or that's where you use a bluer version of the purple. If they really need you to block the content area in, I'd use either a super thin, 1-2 pixel, very light purple border on the sides or a very subtle purple or even better gray box shadow.

Normally, I'd say make the link colors the highlight color, but since that's purple, you'd do better not to. Best to either stick to the default colors or find another way to make them stand out, like bold 75% gray with a 2px bottom border.
    rAv3N AsSasSiN likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Hi,

My client preferred those colors - but shouldn't be limited to those colors only.

Thanks for the guidance. I've sent 3 different revisions to my client (one was my original idea, the other was your advice and the third your advice + a little modification).

Of the 3 revisions, the client seems to be pleased with my original idea (the one posted above ^_^).

Thanks once again. The client was blown away with all three revisions.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Here is a website I created not to long ago with these colors a similar color scheme. I hope by looking at it you will have a better idea of how better to use colors to compliment each other and work together. Again like Ronald said depending on what the website is for, I wouldn't chose black as the background, unless its a photography or Rock Band website. You need to use cooler variants of the colors (yellow and purple).
    rAv3N AsSasSiN likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Yellow and purple are complementary, what means they are opposite each other on the color wheel. They have to be separated by white to look well. Also, its good idea to desaturate, to mute them to look more gray, as Ronald and Fire said.

Member #
    Thanks for the input. In fact, I didn't agree much with the purple, yellow and black (particularly the latter) when I had a second look at it this morning. I will try to reinforce the idea you guys have put forth. I also have a friend who will be helping me out (a Graphic Designer).
    Thanks for all the response. Much appreciated.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    It's hard to say for sure without knowing more about the business...
    Sorry about that, my client specializes in consumables of safety wear (and other services including welding).

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx View Post
    Again like Ronald said depending on what the website is for, I wouldn't chose black as the background, unless its a photography or Rock Band website. You need to use cooler variants of the colors (yellow and purple).
    Agreed. It's pretty much a difficult color palette to integrate into a website (for me at least).
    But how would you suggest I go about it?
    Is there anywhere I can use the black, or should I drop it completely?
    I'm planning on keeping the yellow/gold (a yellow to gold gradient), purple and white only. Would this be a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by sasha_bolcina View Post
    Yellow and purple are complementary, what means they are opposite each other on the color wheel. They have to be separated by white to look well. Also, its good idea to desaturate, to mute them to look more gray, as Ronald and Fire said.
    I will take this into consideration. Thanks.
    Last edited by rAv3N AsSasSiN; Sep 09th, 2014 at 03:11 AM.

Remove Ads