Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Portfolio site review

Moon Phase Media

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a review, mainly on performance / use-ability but graphic design critiques are welcome if you have them. As a warning, I'm intentionally not supporting IE8 or below.

Some considerations I have already:
    > Should I change the top navigation indicator to simply snap instead of having an animation? the animation might seem tacky or bothersome.
    > Should I make the background a static image to improve loading time? I spent a decent amount of time making it but I realize it loads slow. Would a static background image be less bothersome / intrusive to the design? If so, any suggestions on what it should be? Maybe a high quality photo of a place I like in my area?
    > Can you tell me what browser/version/OS you are using and if the site works on your browser?
    > Can you tell me how much CPU load the javascript is giving you, i.e. does the site run at 30+ fps or not?

Thanks,
    Evan

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Lightbulb My reaction to your website

Okay, first off, I'm not a professional. Just offering my reaction to your site:

1) From your page header:
    moonphasemedia is the professional alias of new hampshire based designer/programmer evan pipta. moonphasemedia offers services in front-end and back-end web development, game development, and graphic design.
    I get that it seems you have chosen to use all lowercase on your website. However, my first impression when I read the above was that the person writing it didn't know basic English capitalization rules. In my humble opinion, you should at least capitalize New Hampshire and Evan Pipta.

2) Under your Portfolio submenu you have an option that reads "Everything" . . . I found this unnecessary - you've already shown them everything in a nicely categorized way, why would you want to throw everything together in a jumble like that?

3)I like your static submenu that scrolls along with you as you go. However, your main navigation menu is only at the top and bottom of your pages. I would find it more helpful if your main menu was static as well. A very BASIC static menu tutorial located HERE might be helpful, but from the look of your website, your abilities are way beyond that. So I guess what I'm suggesting is that you also include your main pages in your static menu (not just the current subpages). Maybe a multilevel static menu?

4)In my humble opinion, your contact page should never have your email address on it. You'll end up with a bunch of spam in your inbox. A better bet is a customized contact form. You can create one free HERE that you can even configure to send you a text message when someone contacts you via your form.

5)Your code is nice and clean. Your original artwork is very good. You might consider using some of your artwork within your site's theme? Just a thought.

Hope you found that at least somewhat helpful!

Remove Ads