Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need some feedback please!

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Need some feedback please!

Hi guys. I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this so I apologize if it's not!

I'm am a professional translator and I'd like a website where my clients can read more about me and my qualifications. I'm a beginner at Photoshop and, since my needs are extremely simple, I decided to make it myself.

I'd like to make it clear that my livelihood will not depend on this website at all, so don't worry about advising me to hire a professional. The gigantic majority of translators don't even have a website, so this will just be an unexpected plus.

Here's what I have so far:
    My preferred, no footer version:

And one with a footer:

Ok, so I am quite happy with the general scheme, but I think many things could be improved.

1) Do you think the lack of a logo or even just my name (Josť Guedes) at the top will affect the overall look and impact? Please keep in mind that I expect the gigantic majority of visitors to be clients who got the link from me personally, not people who just Googled it, so they will have a general idea of who I am already.

2) Should the bottom part have dividers? I tried actually separating the 3 sections (About/FAQ/Contact) as well as using dividers of other kinds but nothing seemed to work, does anyone have any ideas? Or do you think it should stay like this?

3) Is a footer necessary? I think I recall reading somewhere it's good for search engines, is it true? I only added one because of that, I think it looks much cleaner without it

4) Globe or no globe?

5) Any tips regarding the fonts? I only used Open Sans and Helvetica, I think. Also, are there any drawbacks of having only images and no text on the website? For example, instead of actually writing "In this section... blah blah blah", would it be bad if I simply used an image instead?

6) What about the color scheme? I think I kind of like something along those lines

7) What color should I make the chat bubble? I don't like the current one, but it's the best I managed. 100% white just seemed too boring

Thank you so much and sorry for the long post!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

Forget how it LOOKS for a second as that is less important than the question of does it function?

You CANNOT build a website in photoshop.. I know it will now render out css (and maybe html) BUT thats not always the ONLY thing needed..

For one.. I notice the language buttons at the top right.. Will these change the language depending on the selection? That requires a lil more than what PS can deliver.. And thats only the first i mention..

You want to be able to upload a file? Do you know how to make this happen? Hint: photoshop doesnt!

The point im trying to make is that ur approaching this all wrong..

A bigger question is.. Do you need a website? Will a Facebook fan page work? What about buying a theme? Some you can even find for free.. i don't work with themes so i have no recommendations nor price range for you but others might.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    Forget how it LOOKS for a second as that is less important than the question of does it function?

You CANNOT build a website in photoshop.. I know it will now render out css (and maybe html) BUT thats not always the ONLY thing needed..

For one.. I notice the language buttons at the top right.. Will these change the language depending on the selection? That requires a lil more than what PS can deliver.. And thats only the first i mention..

You want to be able to upload a file? Do you know how to make this happen? Hint: photoshop doesnt!

The point im trying to make is that ur approaching this all wrong..

A bigger question is.. Do you need a website? Will a Facebook fan page work? What about buying a theme? Some you can even find for free.. i don't work with themes so i have no recommendations nor price range for you but others might.

Thank you so much for your answer!

Yes, I am aware! I know beginner-intermediate CSS and HTML and I know how to program the basics myself (I also program in C++). I was even thinking about learning some animations and stuff, once everything is done. I've researched a good deal about forms and a lot more. I even considered implementing an e-commerce kind of thing for a short while.

Yes, a website is the ideal choice for me. The gigantic majority of translators have no website, so those who do, even the incredibly poorly constructed ones have a huge advantage. I've literally seen websites with nothing but text (no formatting of any kind, basically an online notepad).

But getting back to the design, I still want to play with it a lot before I decide on it, and only then will I start worrying about the programming. Do you have any tips? I know my skill level makes it more of a "throw it away and start over (and/or give it to somebody else)" kind of thing, but I'd really like to try and improve this one, even if only as a learning opportunity. Especially since anything at all will be more than great in the end, compared to having nowhere to put up more information about my work.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    1) id include your name at the very least..it just adds a little more personal touch to it..

2) looks fine like that.. Except for the fact that it serves no purpose.. Most people already know what those sections mean.. Maybe instead of describing the sections u could add an example of what they might find in the section with an option to read more by going to the page..

Also.. How are these other pages going to look? They should look cohesive to the page you are showing now

3) Ive never heard that from any reliable source so i cant say if this is true or not.. I include them

4) the globe looks outdated in my opinion.. In design less is more at times.. I also dont really like the arrow next to the next

5) Font names? No.. But i have suggestions on how some of the fonts are being used.. The welcome is too small.. Its a header bolden it.. Its not centered with the copy under it.. Make sure you align it..

6) colors look corporate.. If thats what your going for you succeeded..

7) i think the color looks fine.. No real recommendation on it..

Overall the site works considering your low expectations.. Some may say its a lil outdated looking.. Looks like a template you would find on a free web host..

Member #
    Thank you so much, you made some great points! I will take them into consideration and keep working. Thanks a lot!

Member #
    Ok, so this is what I have so far after changing it based on all comments I received here and other places. The file upload form is just a placeholder for now

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Great post! You know what you want and you are precise with your questions. Vapr did a great job answering most of your questions and your latest revision looks good!

5) For example, instead of actually writing "In this section... blah blah blah", would it be bad if I simply used an image instead?
    Page's ratio of text to HTML code is below 15 percent, this means that your website probably needs more text content.A ratio between 25 and 70 percent is ideal. When it goes beyond that, the page might run the risk of being considered spam. As long as the ‪‬‬content is relevant and gives essential information, it is a plus to have more of it. Source - Website Review - SEO Tool | WooRank.com

So you would use keywords in your text that are relevant to your website such as Translator, Translation, etc. Also if and when you do add an image say like your logo add the alt tag to it and add keywords to that as well.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx View Post
    Great post! You know what you want and you are precise with your questions. Vapr did a great job answering most of your questions and your latest revision looks good!

Page's ratio of text to HTML code is below 15 percent, this means that your website probably needs more text content.A ratio between 25 and 70 percent is ideal. When it goes beyond that, the page might run the risk of being considered spam. As long as the ‪‬‬content is relevant and gives essential information, it is a plus to have more of it. Source - Website Review - SEO Tool | WooRank.com

So you would use keywords in your text that are relevant to your website such as Translator, Translation, etc. Also if and when you do add an image say like your logo add the alt tag to it and add keywords to that as well.
    Thank you so much for your answer!

When everything is done, the FAQ section will contain around 20 questions and answers, and the About section will have around 1000 words, do you think that'd be enough to prevent it from being categorized as spam?

I changed what's under Contact for all pages. This is what will happen when the person clicks "Next" (not finished, I'm probably going to remember a few more fields to be added and am going to reorganize all fields). What's the best way to add animations to the design? I'm thinking of the box expanding and sliding to the left once the person clicks next, how could I do that? I program in C++, so I can easily create a program that does that with regular words.

Last edited by ZeHgS; Oct 02nd, 2014 at 08:33 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

There are also css animations but they require js to recognize an event to start/stop the animation..

Easiest way that i know of is with jQuery's "toggleClass" you would create 2 separate classes with the css properties that make up the way you have the box appear.. Using jQuery to recognize when you click on the box and switch out the css properties

Member #
    Thanks a lot, I will look it up!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads