Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Lightbulb Practicing Web Design, Need Opinions on design

Hi, I am practicing my Web Design a little before i start selling a web design service. I am making my portfolio / about me website at the moment and I would love some constructive criticism. Any advice would be great. http://www.hosfordryan.x10host.com

Thank you very much for any advice you have!
    Last edited by hosfordryan; Oct 07th, 2014 at 07:58 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Lets start by seeing a website.. Not an image of what it MAY look like once you code it

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    Lets start by seeing a website.. Not an image of what it MAY look like once you code it
    This is a screenshot from the website which has been coded. I just cropped out the other tabs i have open and all of that. How would you suggest I show the website? The Links do not work at the moment as I was just asking about the design aspect of the site. Thank you for the reply

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Well its difficult to critique a site that I cannot go to and actually see function. That is part of the battle. Not to mention Your image isn't a size that allows me to see it. I even switched from my phone to my computer in hopes that I may have a better chance of it being a larger image.

Its pretty plain. Not much going on. Im not a fan of the horizontal bars going across. It looks like 2 different colors teals. It could be because the 2 bars above and below the "Custom Web Design For You" is larger than the others and the font isn't a good choice. Pick something that gives a little more presence. Maybe a bolder font? The menu doesn't seem right on the right. That may be my personal preference but I prefer them up on top or on the left. Why the blue for the text? Id say it would look more appropriate matching the teal-ish color you used for the bars.

Was this site hand coded? Did you use any templates? Did you use a site builder?

is the site not hosted? What do you mean the links aren't working?

Member #
    This site was hand coded. I went ahead and found a free hosting service to use so you can actually see what is going on... Ryan Hosford Web Design... Sorry about that. And by saying the links aren't working, i meant that I only have the main page done, so the menu won't bring you to any other pages.

I agree with you when you say that it is pretty plain. Is there anything you would recommend to remedy that? Is my process of designing the website bad? What i did for this was design it in photoshop and then translated that into html and css. I used the blue for the headers in the main text so it stood out a bit. I tried with the same teal color that i used for the bars and it blended in a little too much. Was this a bad choice?

I really appreciate the help. I am still learning web design. I am ok with the actual html and css (the easy part) I am just struggling a bit with the actual design. Maybe this kind of thing isn't for me.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    First of all, I'm not a professional, so this is simply my reaction as a visitor:

1) I would move your menu from the right side and place it at the top to the right of your logo.
    2) I would use more interesting colors.
    3)I would use a more interesting font
    4)I would include some interesting photos or graphics - - perhaps examples of your designs.

On the bright side, it loads very quickly.

Remove Ads