Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Please Review My New Site

I am new here and am by no means a web designer and I am self-teaching myself CSS through the trial-and-error method.

I am here today looking for reviews, comments and suggestions about a new site I have put together. The site can be seen at The Best Rated Smoker Reviews For 2014 - Pick My Smoker

Any and all input would be/is appreciated as I cannot learn if I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance . . .

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Not bad, needs some refining but not bad especially for someone that isn't a web designer and it's not a theme! I think you need to use similar fonts. The about, Contact and side menu uses Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; where you did not clarify a font for the menu so it uses the default font. I tend to do the following

body { margin:0; background-image:url(dark_bg.png); font-family: 'Roboto', sans-serif; color: #000; font-size: 17px; }

which covers all fonts and then if want a different size in a different section I can adjust that but at least the font type is the same.

I don't like the About and Contact links floating, they should be with in the menu section. Also looks like you have a float issue with the Side bar menu as it is overlaping your menu on all of the pages that have the Popular articles. I would also recommend a better image and company name on top, try (if you have Photoshop) messing with the fonts layer settings, specifically with overlay and soft light and see how it turns out. I would be willing to help you make a top banner for the hell of it, if you would like. I would add a little more padding to the main text on the home page.

Also you can see the Click Here to Read customer review on
    http://pickmysmoker.com/az_propane_vertical_smoker.php/ as the link is white like the BG, I only noticed it by accidentally mousing over it.

I would recommend more and try to help fix the float issue but I am leaving in a few minutes and I am strapped for time. I will check back in, in the next few days.

BTW, since you are in the process of self teaching yourself I would recommend Learn | Codecademy to help you learn

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx View Post
    Not bad, needs some refining but not bad especially for someone that isn't a web designer and it's not a theme! I think you need to use similar fonts. The about, Contact and side menu uses Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; where you did not clarify a font for the menu so it uses the default font. I tend to do the following

body { margin:0; background-image:url(dark_bg.png); font-family: 'Roboto', sans-serif; color: #000; font-size: 17px; }

which covers all fonts and then if want a different size in a different section I can adjust that but at least the font type is the same.

I don't like the About and Contact links floating, they should be with in the menu section. Also looks like you have a float issue with the Side bar menu as it is overlaping your menu on all of the pages that have the Popular articles. I would also recommend a better image and company name on top, try (if you have Photoshop) messing with the fonts layer settings, specifically with overlay and soft light and see how it turns out. I would be willing to help you make a top banner for the hell of it, if you would like. I would add a little more padding to the main text on the home page.

Also you can see the Click Here to Read customer review on
    http://pickmysmoker.com/az_propane_vertical_smoker.php/ as the link is white like the BG, I only noticed it by accidentally mousing over it.

I would recommend more and try to help fix the float issue but I am leaving in a few minutes and I am strapped for time. I will check back in, in the next few days.

BTW, since you are in the process of self teaching yourself I would recommend Learn | Codecademy to help you learn
    Thanks for your input, Fireproofgfx. I have made changes and corrected the problems with the links to reviews that you brought to my attention. The information your shared about font family within #body was helpful and something I will need to be aware of in the future.

I have checked a few of my pages in Chrome, Firefox and IE and for the life of me I cannot see the float issue you mentioned. Unless I am not looking in the right place, I cannot see where the sidebar menu is overlapping the menu on all the pages that have the Popular articles. In IE I see where the Popular Articles title does not line up where it is suppose to and have no clue as to how to fix that, but I cannot see the overlapping problem.

As for the logo, I am open for suggestions. Being that I am not a graphics designer either, I always welcome any help/suggestions that will make my sites look more appealing.

Finally, I am looking into Codeacademy. I have read positive feedback on other forums as the place to check out for those wanting to learn more.

Again, thanks for your input and I look forward to any additional comments/suggestions you might be willing to share with me.

Cheers . . .

Remove Ads