Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Go easy on me please

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Go easy on me please

Ok my turn , little nervous here so be kind !

Ok the site is my site Octerpus

The two main reasons for the site are to

1) Partner with web developers and web agencies to help white label our Magento extension
    2) Help online retailers who need drop shipping

I have gone with simple grey and blue colors to make the appeal nice and clean

Merry Christmas all and be nice please

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    First off, im the type of person that sees "go easy on me" and i instantly think that YOU already know something is wrong. Maybe u dont and maybe there isnt but from my experience a lack of confidence makes me wont to critique it harder.

With that said, for one i am glad that you made it mobile friendly. I started doing alot of my critiques from my phone on accident. Now i prefer it as i think mobile friendly is extremely important for most applications (of course there are exceptions to this). One thing i did notice is that there is a lot of whitespace above and below the video. The logo is also WAY too small in my opinion. Theres tons of whitespace there as well and you decided to make the logo really small. I dont like the teal color you added towards the bottom, i think it really clashes with the blue in your footer that says something about creating a system to run a business. I did notice that that is the blue you used on your menu and it looks light a darker shade to your logo? So maybe the teal should be reconsidered? Its just out of place. Other than that i think the site looks nice!

Just to nitpick, the choice for "demadware" on your form is getting pushed into one of the other options.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    Octerpus likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey Vapr, Thank you so much for taking the time with the detailed review
    Your right the wufoo form I used is not mobile friendly and is pushing the demandware over...great tip
    Last edited by Octerpus; Dec 11th, 2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: extra info

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Demandware just got the chop and I have made the choices two columns

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I usually don't try to criticize a product itself, but rather the website to see if it converts or not. In this case, though, I think the product itself is more important to focus on than the website.

Here's where I see an issue, and I'm going to use WDF as an example. There are almost 41,000 members here, at least a large percentage of which are professionals either in design, development, or some combination of both. That means that in theory most people in here would be in your potential target market.

The key part of that sentence is "in theory." In practice, that probably won't play out. Out of the nearly 41,000 people here, I can think of exactly one person who has even used Magento before...me. There may be others, but I'd be very surprised if out of that 41,000 you'd find 20 that have used it, and we have a handful of really smart developers and designers in here. Vapr_Arts is one. AlphaMare is another. There's Ronald Roe, mlseim, Andrew Yurlov, a few others. So that means at most you're talking about 0.05% of the members of a professional board are potentially in your target market. While WDF certainly isn't the only design forum out there and there are plenty of others, it's probably large enough that it would work as a representative sample. Your percentages may vary somewhat depending on different boards, but that alone pretty much defines a niche market.

Now...you take that niche market of 0.05% of professionals, and you factor out the majority of people who have built storefronts for people with single warehouse locations and who don't drop ship and/or developers who have used Magento and won't go near it with a ten-foot pole as it stands now (e.g. me, but I'll get to my reason in a bit). I don't know what that exact percentage is, but it's a fairly safe bet that we're talking about the majority of storefronts even with JIT being somewhat more popular than it used to be. So your 0.05% is no higher than 0.025%, and realistically it's a whole lot lower. It's not many people.

In other words, you need to reach developers and/or customers that:

1) Have a Magento storefront or are at least willing to consider it;
    2) Have the ability to implement your plugin, and;
    3) Have multiple shipping locations to worry about, be they warehouse and/or drop shippers.

Those are three pretty significant variables. I don't see where the market is as it stands right now...which leads me to my next point. The biggest issue, and the reason I won't touch Magento as it stands right now, is that it's insanely difficult and very finicky to work with, with a community support base that is for all practical intents and purposes non-existent. If you have a question, you either have to figure out the answer entirely on your own circa 2000 with a script that is basically the equivalent of an IKEA instruction manual to figure out, Some of this may be on me because PHP is my "third server-side programming language" and I primarily work with ASP.net and ASP, but I have worked with several other off-the-shelf carts in the past (e.g. ZenCart, osCommerce, VP-ASP, CyberStrong) as well as building my own...so it's not as if I don't have any experience with building a cart. I can kinda sorta do an okay job at it.

If you're going to get people to buy this product, you need to clear the obstacle of "how do we get people to even use Magento and make it easier for a web designer or developer of even average ability to convert from say WooCommerce to this?" In other words, you need to be active, helping out Magento users where/when possible, getting them through their problems, and hopefully for your sake bringing more in. Otherwise, you're pretty much looking at an all-or-nothing gamble of "find agency, let them buy several licenses, and maybe get paid to provide support." Again, pretty big gamble with some significant "what if"s.

Maybe you know something I don't, but I'm not seeing what that might be.
    Octerpus likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    You can take me off that list Game lol. I have never used magento and I'm not planing on it anytime soon. There is just no reason too because it's not very popular(from what i've seen anyway) which means not a lot of support and documentation. Thanks for mentioning me though haha
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Okay...so 19.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You might wanna make that 18. For one i hope im on the list as a designer! Cause i in no way would call myself a programmer YET! But hey i got a whole month off of my design classes to get a lil closer!

Andrew made a good observation though. Even if I were a programmer, from the short time i looked into Magento id never really use it. Like he pointed out there isnt much support or documentation for me to want to use it.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    So...18.

By the way, you two are right. Do you know how I know you two are right? You said exactly what I said.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    So...18.

By the way, you two are right. Do you know how I know you two are right? You said exactly what I said.
    Yes, that is true but unlike you we showed mercy to the readers so instead of reading your book of a reply they read a few simple lines of text
    TheGAME1264 and Vapr_Arts like this.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads