Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 2 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By ViruZX

Thread: Building a personal website, what's wrong with it?!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Building a personal website, what's wrong with it?!

So I am building a personal website to have a chance to mess around with everything I can get my hands on.

My website is at KNYZ::Home

I feel like there is something fundamentally wrong with it but I can't figure it out. Help please?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Whats the point of the site? I see you said that its a private development environment? Easy access makes it sort of lose the "private" aspect no? Or are you looking for clients? Seems like you also want to pitch your services? Then theres the quote at the bottom that is more for people like me, coders, also known as your competition? You have no central purpose for this site so it lacks in substance. That to me is fundamental so maybe thats what you feel is wrong

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    TheGAME1264 and Fireproofgfx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    Whats the point of the site? I see you said that its a private development environment? Easy access makes it sort of lose the "private" aspect no? Or are you looking for clients? Seems like you also want to pitch your services? Then theres the quote at the bottom that is more for people like me, coders, also known as your competition? You have no central purpose for this site so it lacks in substance. That to me is fundamental so maybe thats what you feel is wrong

I started it a fair while back and the text becomes more and more irrelevant as I change stuff and since I don't have any worthwhile traffic I forget to update stuff as time goes by.

Purpose aside, I am really asking about the design. And as for competition I don't really care for it, I do web design as a hobby not as work.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    That is concerning design.. The difference between art and design is design has a purpose behind it. Your choice of content makes this wrong for the fact that it has no clear and definitive purpose. Your bouncing from one idea to the next. You also say the site doesnt look nice in your own words. So you are asking for a critique on something you admit is lacking and needs to be corrected.

Slow down a little. Go back and finish the site. That includes defining the purpose.

TheGAME1264 and Fireproofgfx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    The competition comment wasn't meant as a negative it was just meant to separate myself from a potential client. Trying to help illustrate the differences

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    That is concerning design.. The difference between art and design is design has a purpose behind it. Your choice of content makes this wrong for the fact that it has no clear and definitive purpose. Your bouncing from one idea to the next. You also say the site doesnt look nice in your own words. So you are asking for a critique on something you admit is lacking and needs to be corrected.

Slow down a little. Go back and finish the site. That includes defining the purpose.

Your post here... I think your post here alone changed my entire perception on design... I am going to rethink my life now.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Always code as if the person who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath who knows where you live.
    That's me. I'm that psychopath.

Vapr_Arts is absolutely correct. You can use the site as a test bed if you want, but then there's no point in us reviewing it unless we're reviewing something in beta that you're about to launch...which would give it a purpose in and of itself. Other than that, it needs a purpose. It's a few random ideas on one page with no connecting theme.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ViruZX View Post
    Your post here... I think your post here alone changed my entire perception on design... I am going to rethink my life now.
    Trust me.. When i first had someone explain this to me i felt somewhat the same way. It may sound intimidating but thats only because you haven't gotten the education. Design is both complex and fun (once you have a foundation). It requires critical thinking.

If you like design dont let this discourage you. Id recommend getting a better understanding of what it is to be a designer.

Is it the design aspect you were interested in? As in print design as well as web design? Did you want to just build sites? Maybe you confused a web designer with a programmer?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Trust me.. When i first had someone explain this to me i felt somewhat the same way. It may sound intimidating but thats only because you haven't gotten the education. Design is both complex and fun (once you have a foundation). It requires critical thinking.

If you like design dont let this discourage you. Id recommend getting a better understanding of what it is to be a designer.

Is it the design aspect you were interested in? As in print design as well as web design? Did you want to just build sites? Maybe you confused a web designer with a programmer?

Well I ideally would only do the programmer part of web development. The issue is that my code is pointless if I don't have a website to go along with it which must be visually appealing and I work alone (since none of my contacts do webdesign) so I need to do both.

Oh and also I stared at siteinspire.com for a few hours yesterday and changed the design a bit, I think it was the logo and alignment that made me feel uneasy. But I still got a very useful life lesson from you that I will apply eventually.

Remove Ads