Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello all
    Ive just joined the forum and would like your opinion on one of my sales sites ( www.ebookstall.net/sales.htm ). I used Dreamweaver MX but could have used notepad for what's up on the site.

After looking round the posts on the different forums here, there's a lot better sites than mine. But there again I can always better the look of the site on your recomendations.

I read one post that said you should go to Google and see if your already listed. So I went and put my manuals title in the window (How to make imitation oil paintings) and it came back in the No.1 slot.

Does this then mean I'm listed at number one on Google for that calegory, or am I breaking open the champagne prematurely.

Anyway they say laughter makes the world go round so it should be spinning a lot faster over the next couple of days.

On a more serious not I would like your feedback and then I can get something done to upgrade the site in question.

Many Thanks.

p. s. There was a post that listed the top essencial search engines and their individual links to submit to. But I'm unable to see it now. Could some one point me in the right direction. Thanks again.
    Michael

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Google is a bit misleading when it first crawls your site.

Initially you tend to get a higher ranking until the deepcrawler bot takes a full look at the site. Then the site tends to drop right down in the rankings and then comes back once google reindexes (every 4-5 weeks or so). This final position is a more realistic slot and tends to be lower than the initial ranking.

Although your site is easy to read it's lacking visual impact. With your subject matter you could easily add some images and a banner including imitation oil paintings to give the visitor something to look at. At the moment it looks like a standard advertising site similar to those popups that drive people mad, it doesn't look like there is any soul to the site.

Also you need to add a title tag and close your head tag if you want to get teh best search engine ranking you can.

You've got a good basic structure but you need to make it look more like a designed site rather than a list of type.

One last thing, the free reseller bit if you buy before misnight at the bottom of the page should go. It looks like it's always there and seems like a bit of a sales trick. If I don't order by midnight today then I'm sure the offer will be there tomorrow. It's like those stores that have permanent closing down sales and it's a bit of a hard sell turn off in my opinion.

Member #
    Hello Mossoi
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to look over the site. I was a bit taken aback with your critical eye. I imagined it was going to be a lot worse than it was. I'll certainly do ask you surgest. When you say "it needs to look more like a designed site" I already thought I'd like to get someone to give it that look of professionalisam, also adding the right tags in the right places.
    I'll have a look around the forums and see if anybody can help.

Thanks again for your observations.
    Michael

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No problem.

The site is pretty much perfect for adding a Stylesheet. Have a look at www.w3schools.com for a quick tutorial on CSS. It's pretty easy to use and is great for stylising your type of site.

Member #
    OK Mossoi

I've got a CSS chapter in my DreamweaverMX manual, but I don't hold out much hope of picking this up as it took me over six month's to work out how to manipulate DW MX and look what I ended up with.
    I believe a designer is a better choice even if I have to pay for the privilege.

Thanks.
    Michael

Member #
    Mossoi brings up some good points. This is more of an advertising flyer than a webpage, IMO. A banner and some navigation would be a good place to start (and that baby blue bg should be the next thing to go). Some examples of the art would also look nice. If you're selling something artistic, the site should have atleast some artistic merit, IMO.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Dreamweaver MX etc. can sometimes make things seem a lot more complicated than they actually are.

I would recommend considering writing some test pages in HTML (or XHTML) using something like Notepad and seeing how you get on. The fact is that HTML is not difficult at all, neither is css, you just need to get your brain thinking in the right way. Get a piece of paper, draw a picture of what your site will look like, decide what dimensions it will be (790x400 or similar is probably pretty good as a starting point) and then just write some code... in Notepad, not Dreamweaver. It doesn't actually matter if it looks terrible, because it is through experimenting in this way that you will progress.

Then, once you're happy you know how everything works you can either return to Dreamweaver, or code your pages manually using Dreamweaver only when you want to do something "clever" that you don't feel comfortable doing by hand.

I think it's important if you're trying to build sites to understand what it is that a WYSIWYG editor is creating for you, so that if it goes wrong you are capable of finding the problem as they will often hide the cause (eg. missing closing tags -- this is a problem that is forever being caused by Micro$oft Frontpage and its ilk!! Missing closing tags in IE often don't matter, in other browsers they can completely obliterate the page)

Best of Luck,

Sean

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh, just to add to that if you're going to use cascading style sheets (which I *really* recommend, not only because of the ease of changing things but also because you get *far* more control over your look and feel... HTML only allows a very small number of font weights and sizes, css gives you total control) then you want to define your css styles *first*, before you write your page.

Otherwise you'll end up having to re-code, which is a waste of effort.

Sean

Member #
    Hello Sean

Thanks for taking the time to look over my site. I'll take the time to look more closely at coding in future as it will definitely give me a better insite to building a more constructive site.

Thanks again.
    Michael

Member #
    Although your site is easy to read it's lacking visual impact. With your subject matter you could easily add some images and a banner including imitation oil paintings to give the visitor something to look at. At the moment it looks like a standard advertising site similar to those popups that drive people mad, it doesn't look like there is any soul to the site.
    Couldn't have sayed it better. Try making it more orginized other then all blobbed out like on the main page. Thats all I have to say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads