Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Please critique my site

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    1.7 out of 5

Website Speed:
    1.7 out of 5

Compatibility:
    1.3 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.3 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Please critique my site

OK so I am stuck and I need some help.
    So far I have been mainly focused on the backend PHP5 MVC, JS, MySQL, Github, Azure and I am setting up a projects section with a JS carousel that will read and display data (projects) from a JSON file. In my design I like the header (but maybe too big) and that it is a single page with a nice jQuery animation and that I am not using a template or framework, but over all I am not so sure. It would be great to get some advice from people here who have a good eye for design and functionality. I am relatively new to this game.

My Site:
    Stephen O'Connor Website & UI Developer

Thanks.
    Last edited by StephCake; Jan 29th, 2015 at 04:08 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Is this not ready for mobile? If it is you have some issues.

Theres huge empty spaces between the sections and the size of everything is way too small! Again im on a mobile phone and this may be the reason. If so ignore my comments and let me know when you are ready for me to see the mobile version.

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks
    StephCake likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Vapr_Arts,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes you were right, I was using web dev tools and just scaling the browser window and the text was fine.
    Now I am using web dev's built in mobile emulator and I put in a line of code to basically not allow the font to be scaled down.
    By not allowing the font to scale it sorted out that huge empty spaces you also mentioned.

If you have the time and your interested please have a look again.
    I don't have a fancy iPhone

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    The header is clipping the first section and there are still empty space. Unless you have it intentionally set this way to display the background?

StephCake likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Man, you have some cool tricks going on, and all but the overall look and feel of the site is drab. Colors don't mesh very well and are dull. Are you color blind? (I don't mean this meanly, my son is and he would like these colors so I would understand if that was the case). I also don't like your choice of font either.
    StephCake likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    @Vapr_Arts

Thanks the second look over and comments.

The header is clipping the first section
    I am not seeing that in chrome web dev tools iphone 4 or iphone 5 emulator.
    If you don't mind me asking what version of iphone are you using?
    I wonder can you post a screenshot?

there are still empty space
    You answered this one yourself, yep the space is intentional, I got a parallax effect going on in the background. You would see this better on a 21 inch widescreen monitor, one of the monitors I use to work on. I have a dual monitor set-up. I write code on one (Netbeans 8) and display (localhost) the pages in the other widescreen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Fireproofgfx

Thanks for the big-ups on tricks, it's mainly Javascript, jQuery and a little CSS3.
    The images are all mine I created them in 3d max and Gimp.

As for the colors I am trying for complementary colours and more like a type of pastel feel, muted tones.
    This is a hard task and maybe foolish as monitors vary and peoples perception of color also vary.
    I understand this as I studied art and was a 3d artist for a few years.
    See linkcomplementary colour color wheel van gogh painting for what I am trying to accomplish.
    As in Art, colors are subjective:
    "The colors perceived, however, are subjective, as the abilities of the perceiver vary from animal to animal, including from human to human. Some might be color blind, partially or completely, some might experience colors more vibrantly, and some might have a crossed wire in the brain making them see one color as being another."
    Also our monitors are calibrated differently.
    Would you mind telling what you are viewing my site on?

For the font I am using Source Code Pro
    And this is the main reason why I am using it.
    "Source Code Pro is a set of OpenType fonts that have been designed to work well in user interface (UI) environments. In addition to a functional OpenType font, this open source project provides all of the source files that were used to build this OpenType font by using the AFDKO makeotf tool."

Would you mind send me a link to your site, a site or set of colors you like, that might work for my site?
    Last edited by StephCake; Jan 30th, 2015 at 04:55 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Art and design are not the same thing.. This is not art this is design. In design nothing is subjective. Everything serves a purpose and has a reason behind the decision to use it.

I am using an iphone5 and the header is working properly now. You may have fixed it or there may have just been an issue at the time i looked last.

As far as the parallax goes.. Its not noticeable on a mobile device.. At least it wasnt on mine? If its not working on most devices id remove it as you cant really explain that like you did now and others who go on your site will not understand .

StephCake likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Art and Web are totally different animals. I understand your thought processes but it doesn't work the same. I believe they are subjective to an certain extent, in the fact that there are individual likes and dislikes, different screens, but if the colors don't blend well together on screen then they are not going to be appealing to your audience. You can sell an abstract piece of Art but an Abstract website will just confuse the audience and they will quickly move onto something easier to understand.

As far as recommending colors it's all about your client's or yours in this case, preferences. I like to take a logo and find colors that will work to accentuate the colors of that logo and blend the over all site colors together for example:

Tina Robinson for Kitsap County Prosecutor - Purple Campaign sign.... Man purple is a tough color to work with especially if its not a pastel.

Mr. Picky LLC, Full Service Building Contractor, Shelton Washington - Light Blue Logo

Here is my site Fireproofgfx Graphic and Web Design I just put it back up on the internet, it has been down since 2013, and I never got around to putting it back up, I have a lot of updating to do, I hate to even share it in its current state lol..
    StephCake likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    @Vapr_Arts

Thanks for the post and comments.

I will start with the last comment, first.
    As far as the parallax goes. Its not noticeable on a mobile device.. At least it wasnt on mine?
    Right so (with Fireproofgfx comments on colour in mind) I changed the background color to a dark blue, with this change: the parallax effect is now more noticeable, well at least the images are more noticeable.
    I also lessened the gap between the articles and centered some of the background images.

iphone5 and the header is working properly now.
    Great.
    Please let me know if there is anymore responsive issues, for instance when I use the chrome emulator for iphone 5 I have to refresh my browser for my site to scale correctly.

This is not art this is design. In design nothing is subjective
    Hmmm, first off I did not post anything about design being subjective.
    I posted in relation to colors and art being subjective.
    As for design not being subjective for me it depends, for me web design / UI development - includes code that has to be working and functional, however I know some programmers and they consider themselves artists and their code an art.
    So design (design / UI development / programming) has to be Objective and subjective?
    maybe its a fine line

---------------------------------------------------------
    @Fireproofgfx
    Hey chief, I hold my hand up, you were right I was wrong, and thanks for posting links to your work.
    Purple is a hard color alright, I think its better in small amounts, like what you have done.
    I like your site and the logo, however as you say, your site does need a bit of work.

On to my site:
    So I changed the tone of my colors to make it a lot less drab
    I kept with the complimentary color scheme that I like: van gogh.
    If you have the time and of course are interested: Take a look let me know what you think.

And I have a question I hope you don't mind me asking:
    In one of your posts you wrote, your son is color blind (forgive my stupidity in asking this) was he born color blind, did it happen over time and what type of color blindness is it, like is it greys or one color?
    I ask this because after your post I took an online color blind test and I passed with flying colors

Anyway if you guys or anyone else has anymore comments, please post away.

As a kinda of a thank you lads, I found this and its a really good read Thinkful | Color Theory Basics
    Last edited by StephCake; Feb 01st, 2015 at 02:09 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times

Please critique my site

I see what you are trying to say but you are mistaken in regards to my comment about art/design being subjective. Trust me when i say this, design is not subjective. I have been working on my degree in graphic design for the last few years and this has been cemented into our head. You dont just choose a color you think looks good, you choose the color that gives the emotion you are trying to give.

For example, do you think its coincidence that fast food chains all have red/yellow/orange in their branding? Ill give you a hint: its not! These colors are chosen because research has shown these colors induce hunger.

Is it a coincidence that most dental/medical offices use blue? Again, its not. Blue gives a calming/trusting feel. Something these places need as most customers are either in pain/panic.

This is where design and art differ. We make choices based on reasoning. Everything is done for a reason, nothing is done because of "it looks cool" at least not in good and proper design.

Edit: i just noticed your link in respect to color theory and if im not mistaken it goes into even more depth as to what my point was from the beginning. Art and design are not the same.

A quote i really like although am unsure who said it at this moment is :

Good art sends a different message to everyone.
    Good design sends the same message to everyone.

Last edited by Vapr_Arts; Feb 01st, 2015 at 03:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads