Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Well, I've published only 2 other sites right so far, so bear with me! I'm creating a layout for an an artwork site. I decided to use maximum amounts of white space, and keep the site clean and simple. Please note that every image will change in the final version but they will be made in the same style and feel as the current ones.

Also take note you'll have to open up all of the image and css files before the main page will load correctly...

I am a newbie at this so any pointers would be helpful. I am looking mostly for comments and constructive criticism. Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Oops, I might need to attatch the site..

Member #
    This is a pretty nice looking site.
    At the moment the layout looks fine. Mayby you could use a bit more space for your content.

Concerning your code, its best to make it XHTML compatible..

1. Use double quotes on all tags
    2. Use lowercase for all tags
    3. end all single tags correctly

eg. <BR> should be <br />
    eg. <LINK REL=STYLESHEET HREF="style.css" TYPE="TEXT/CSS"> should be <link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="text/css" />

good job

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Originally posted by buntine
    Concerning your code, its best to make it XHTML compatible..
    Your listed rules are good to follow in general, but I personally never follow XHTML standards strictly (although I try to put your listed rules to use where I can).

XHTML is one of those funky standards that really isn't useful for anything EXCEPT HTML generated by XML / XSL-T. The reason is that when you generate any markup through transformation, you want to validate the result via an XSD schema to ensure that the transformation is executed properly. XHTML is the schema that ensures your HTML validates.

Of course, in the future, almost all HTML will be XML generated... but until then, using XHTML is kinda pointless... it only adds unnecessary and pointless restrictions to your design. For example, it won't allow body margins, because neither the marginwidth or leftmargin attribute styles are universally accepted. Things like that will fail you in validation, but will make your site better overall.

Member #
    oh true, but the reason i advise people to write valid XHTML code is so they dont have to rewrite it all in the future when XHTML is the standard.
    Good point though.

Member #
    If you're trying to maximize whitespace, you certianly did it. On an 800x600 resolution, the site looks ok, but on my 1280x1024, the site looks very empty. The corners are so far apart, they look a little odd. Cool concept though, keep with it.

Member #
    lloks liek theres gonna be alot of whitespace...

Member #
    mmmmh. I generate HTML using XSLT, not XHTML.

Remove Ads