Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Review new and improved portfolio site

Member #
    Liked
    181 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Review new and improved portfolio site

I finally got around to finishing my new portfolio site and I would love to get some reviews and criticism on it.
    Please note that the text content has not been optimized and reviewed so it isn't very good. I will try in do that by the end of this week.

Andrey Yurlov Web Designer and Developer in Portland Oregon

Thanks
    ~Andrew
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Bravo! I like the design and concept. I would like it more if there is a well planned landing page. Just my opinion

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    It looks good. The background image did take a noticeable amount of time to load. I would recommend moving up the text (SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL DESIGN
    BASED IN PORTLAND OREGON) up some so that you can move up the button that is below, it so that it's visible without having to scroll down.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LearnWebsiteDesign.com View Post
    It looks good. The background image did take a noticeable amount of time to load. I would recommend moving up the text (SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL DESIGN
    BASED IN PORTLAND OREGON) up some so that you can move up the button that is below, it so that it's visible without having to scroll down.
    That may be because you are using a lower resolution monitor. I will try to account for that and fix it. Thanks

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    You suck, Andrew! Oh, this is about your website? You suck, Andrew!

Seriously, I think the previous posters covered most of what I wanted to say. Nice layout overall, and you just need to tweak some things here and there:

1) Your text foreground color. Against the background color, it only has a 3.64:1 contrast ratio. That's actually good enough to pass Level AA accessibility, which is pretty good...but a few shades darker and you could go to 4.5 or higher:1, which is AAA (the bestest of the bestest). Here's a wicked awesome tool to help you with that. You'll want to do likewise with the orange...orange is a bugger that way, though. That's why I don't often use it.

2) Check your spelling and grammar. Not your unique brand of lorem ipsum copy...that's the first time I've ever seen "Kickstarter" used in lorem ipsum...but the copy you've written for your target audience. "You're" website. In "todays" world. Etc. and so on.

3) I thought you did more stuff for some reason. You'll want to beef up your portfolio somehow if you can.

That's basically what you're down to....tweaking.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Thanks GAME. Yea the text content really sucks for now. I was just using it for more of a placeholder for my design. The tool looks awesome I will give it a try as soon as I can! By the way I think I used the Chuck Norris Lorem Ipsum generator for this site just for shits and giggles haha.

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Hey Andrew, I really like what you have come up with. I like how the orange "simply" section works well with its background. And using Dark Gray and Orange is always a good combination! I received this advice when I posted my last website and it made since, but I was recommended to fix the Menu to the top, which i feel would be a good idea for you too on this type of design.

I like your font choice for the Name/logo, but the "Based in Portland Oregon" is choppy on my 1920x1080 screen(s), maybe if you made it bold it would fix it and once you get to 680px width and lower the titles such as Web Design and Seo start to show discrepancies, but that is shrinking the window down to see the responsiveness. Though after saying this I checked it out on my Iphone 5 and it looks perfect.

Member #
    Good work.I like your design...The background image take amount of time to load.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I like the design, but spelling mistakes ruin it for me.

The only design related criticism i can make is that you need to do something about your background image, 1.6mb is way to big.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I know I'm posting on an old thread dragged up by other people, but I didn't see this before. You have a hell of a good design going here. The photo is still huge in terms of file size. Here's a copy I've optimized that's about 1/5 the size of the one you're using with no visible degradation I can see: http://ronaldroe.com/clients/port.jpg

Still takes a second or so to load, but not bad.
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; May 14th, 2015 at 05:34 AM.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads