Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Would really appreciate some feedback on new website design and logos

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Would really appreciate some feedback on new website design and logos

Hi all,
    I'm not the best at designing things, my area is in programming and that is why I would love to get some feedback on my new website design and also my new logo designs.
    My new website design is at http://photongamemanager.com/Test001/
    Ignore the logo on that website as it is just a placeholder. I've had a few ideas for my logo but I'm struggling so I'd love to get some feedback on the following logos. Which one is better, worse or are they all crap?
    Logos 1-3
    Logos 4-5

Thanks for any help its really appreciated

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    None of them. These logos do not look game related. The 3rd one is the worst as it wont work in one color. (Try making it make sense in ONLY black and white. It wont work) the 2nd is pretty cool but try shrinking it down to a favicon, it wont look right. The 1st,4th,5th ones to me are just ugly(sorry just being honest)

Honestly designing logos is one of the hardest things to do even for designers. Someone thats not a designer is going to have a really tough time.

Id recommend hiring someone to do this. I know its expensive but its well worth it.

Theres so many variables that you need to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    thomaspreece likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I appreciate your honesty
    Guess its back to the drawing board, I would hire a designer but I can't afford it atm :/

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Yeah I agree with Vapr, I Like the bubble P but it doesn't correlate with Gaming rather the name Proton which means nothing of what you are about, which is gaming.
    Last edited by Fireproofgfx; Apr 19th, 2015 at 01:33 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaspreece View Post
    I appreciate your honesty
    Guess its back to the drawing board, I would hire a designer but I can't afford it atm :/
    Its understandable but a logo can make a huge difference in your success. You can be successful with a crappy logo but it just makes the odds less in your favor.

My advice for a non designer would be to literally go back to the drawing board, as in pencil and paper, avoid the computer until the final step. Sketch out the ideas as freely as you can. It doesn't have to be perfect its more like taking visual notes of what you like and don't like. We do a lot, typically 25-50 sometimes as many as 100. After thats done try to refine your favorites and then take it to the computer.

You should be able to get it so that it looks good in black and white. No gradients, no grey, solid black and white only. You want thick lines as thin lines will be problematic at a smaller size.

This is probably only 10% of what a designer does when creating a logo and this is why its well worth the investment. Id try my best to find a way to make that investment if all possible but if you cant keep coming back and ill help you as best i can.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've had a go at some more logos. Would love some feedback again. (Once I get the logo sorted I'll work on the font)
    And I really wish I could hire a design artist but I'm literally broke atm so it really is out of the question.
    https://photongamemanager.com/Test001/New Logo Ideas 4.png

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    These are a lot better man.. The first one and third one not so much but the other 3 i think you have something.

One question though.. Why the rectangle around it all? Id remove it all together. With the added rectangle surrounding the whole thing it looks less appealing to me. If theres a reason for it then please explain. If not id remove it.

We are taught to keep it simple. The best way to know when a logo is done isn't when you can't add anything else but rather when nothing else could be removed. For example you added that rectangle thinking it adds something to the design. Yet if you removed it it wouldn't affect it in any way, other than making it more simple of course.

These are great improvements lets just see if we can clean them up a lil and simplify it some. Lets see how the three look without the rectangle

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    These are a lot better man.. The first one and third one not so much but the other 3 i think you have something.

One question though.. Why the rectangle around it all? Id remove it all together. With the added rectangle surrounding the whole thing it looks less appealing to me. If theres a reason for it then please explain. If not id remove it.

We are taught to keep it simple. The best way to know when a logo is done isn't when you can't add anything else but rather when nothing else could be removed. For example you added that rectangle thinking it adds something to the design. Yet if you removed it it wouldn't affect it in any way, other than making it more simple of course.

These are great improvements lets just see if we can clean them up a lil and simplify it some. Lets see how the three look without the rectangle

Yeah I thought 1 would be a write-off as its way too complex. I also agree that 3 is not great, I quite liked the idea of a sideways arcade cabinet but it didn't work in practise. I'm not so sure about 2 either, it might be a bit too 'generic gaming website', what do you think?
    As for 4 & 5, I think even though 5 is slightly more complex, it still works better.

As for the rectangles, they are there purely to give me an idea of what they will look like when placed on my website's banner as it is the same colour. Guess I should just colour the entire sheet with that colour.
    Still a long way to go but at least I've made a start
    Now to work on the font and try to clean the logos up a bit.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Here is a logo I threw together relatively quickly. To give you some more idea behind the concept. Currently the your logos are pretty plain, though I like how you added some gaming concepts to them. Using your colors I added gradients colors that work together, and then I incorporated the color in your main subject PHOTON on the control pad to help the overall design flow together. I also turned the control pad a little so it's not the plain looking pad. I could have gone smaller on the Game Manager font underneath and gave the letters spacing to span the width of the Photon but felt this worked.

thomaspreece likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Impressive work Fireproofgfx. I've been working on the font today so colours will come later. These are my latest revisions of the logo:
    https://photongamemanager.com/Test001/New Logo Ideas 5.png
    I'm definitely leaning towards the bottom two but again all comments welcome and much appreciated
    (And thanks again, you've been a massive help)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads