Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wim
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi all,

I have a site (for my work) running for a while now, it's made with a combination of techniques, and I would like more experienced people to take a look at it and tell me if there are some things I have done wrong or if they have some interesting tips on enhancing it... ( beware: it is a site in Dutch and French, as English is of no significance in our line of business...)
    Thanks in advance.
    The site address is www.debaillie.be

Member #
    It's hard to comment on most of the site because of the lack of english, but here's a few things I notice:
    1. You essentially have TWO splash pages. One to click enter, and one with your flash intro. Splash pages are just another hurdle your visitors need to get through to visit your site. Additionally, your two splash pages are designed completely different, and don't fit in with the design of your site at all.
    2. Looking at your site on a large resolution, the banner doesn't go all the way across. You could slice that image up and make it tall and skinny, and use it as the background for that top cell. This way it would span the entire width at any resolution.
    3. Your mouseovers aren't preloaded.

Those are some things I notice, others may have additional comments. Don't get discouraged, they are minor things. Nice site overall. Welcome to WDF.

Wim
    Member #
    Thank you for your comment, Splufdaddy,

I had been thinking about dealing with the two splash-pages, but now I finally did something about them, too bad for the Flash-page, because it took a while to create...
    About the menu stretching, I will have to look further into doing that, I will have to experiment with that...or do you have tips on doing that?
    The preloading of teh menu is a matter I completely overlooked, and I will see to that in the shortest of time...
    Meanwhile I hope more people visit the site for more helpful tips...
    The site is www.debaillie.be -> NEW Splash-page !

Member #
    i think you should merge the two splash pages together and maybe have a non flash site, its not really needed for that type of site??? but it looks good, i like the layout

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    On Mozilla Firebird on Linux the graphics don't tally... there is a gap on the top left-of-middle where (I assume) the black line on the red background is meant to join the top graphic?

Sean

Member #
    I see the same thing at lower resolutions (using Moz F-bird/Linux). I'm at 1280x1024. When I resize the window though, the top graphic resizes with it and misaligns itself as it does so.

It's okay for the top graphic to be horizontally liquid, but vertically shouldn't be an issue as vertical scrolling is usually expected. To fix this all you would need to do is give the graphic a pixel height instead of a percent.
    - Brian

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    To just clarify what I see take a look at
    http://www.seanmiller.net/images/redbad.jpg

[sorry - have not figured out how to attach files yet!]

Sean

Member #
    Click the "Show Full Reply Form" link and there is a button on that page to attach a file. As far as the images not lining up, it could be a text size problem. If users make their text size larger/smaller, the images might move around. Defining your text size via CSS can fix this problem.

Member #
    [quote]On Mozilla Firebird on Linux the graphics don't tally... there is a gap on the top left-of-middle where (I assume) the black line on the red background is meant to join the top graphic?[/qutoe]

Surfing through sites using Linux? thats "ugly."

I can't say much about this layout. Looks okay for me.

Member #
    Have you ever used Linux, or even another browser besides IE for that matter? M$ isn't the best answer for everything. I for one am hooked on Mozilla Firebird, after never thinking that I could use anything besides IE.

Even if Linux were ugly, it's accepted as being more stable and more secure than M$.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads