Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 2 Websites I'd like to get some thoughts on.

  1. #1
    Senior Member timbo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    126
    Member #
    49722
    Liked
    26 times

    Current Rating

    Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

    Accessibility:
    2.0 out of 5

    Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

    Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

    Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

    Rate This Site


    Advertisement (login to hide this!)


    You must be logged in to view this site

    2 Websites I'd like to get some thoughts on.

    Creswick Motel - 2 Cushing Avenue, Creswick VIC

    and

    North East Counselling - Professional Counselling in the North Eastern suburbs of Adelaide

    Let me know what you think, any suggestions, feedback, criticisms?

    Both 'should' be responsive, they are just basic sites, no database access, purely html/css and php

  2.  

  3. #2
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,482
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2784 times
    The first one isn't responsive. It's missing CSS for tablets, particularly portrait oriented tablets.

    My big issue with the first one is that I can't see the full rates and images, nor can I book a room. It could be a roach motel or it could be a 5 star place. I really don't know. All I have seen are a couple of vague exterior shots, which makes me suspicious...especially when you talk more about Creswick and the surrounding area than you do about the hotel. Photos are key here.

    The second site seems to be okay with the responsive end of things.

    "Services" is missing.

    The home page could use some copy work. Rather than talk about "why counselling?" talk about "why OUR counselling?" Common web design mistake...people want a life jacket and web designers/developers describe the benefits of a life jacket while swimming.

    On both sites, take your name / hyperlink out of the footer. It's a bad practice. I know it's a common practice but it's a bad practice unless you built the sites for free. Don't take potential business away from your clients just to feed yourself.
    amanmohammedali21 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  4. #3
    Senior Member Fireproofgfx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    839
    Member #
    31498
    Liked
    171 times
    The first site needs margins on the side and maybe add a little more line-height. As it stands right now each page looks like overwhelming text. The colors work good together. I think you should have built the site with the width of 960px instead of 780px, at least that would give you more room to work with.

    On the second site, again it needs padding both sides, the colors work fine. I personally don't like the menu on the right side. It took me a second to realize "oh, the menu is on the right".

    I don't agree with TheGames last comment about taking off your link. I do the same thing. You are not competing with the client, you are offering a totally different service, where if someone comes to their websites and they like the design, they can look down at the bottom in the FINE print and find the designer. You are not stealing viewers, though I would make your link, target _blank so your site opens up into a separate window so the person doesn't leave the original website.

    To elaborate a little more on this. I do a lot of political websites and I add my link to the bottom. I did a site for a Congressional Candidate and I get an email a week later from a lady who was running for Commissioner and needed a website, she told me she found me on the Congressional Candidates website. She technically wasn't on his site to look over his issues or anything else she was their to see what other candidates sites are looking like and to possibly get a designer. Anyways I don't see it as an evil like some do. But do what you feel is best.

  5. #4
    Senior Member timbo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    126
    Member #
    49722
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    My big issue with the first one is that I can't see the full rates and images, nor can I book a room. It could be a roach motel or it could be a 5 star place. I really don't know. All I have seen are a couple of vague exterior shots, which makes me suspicious...especially when you talk more about Creswick and the surrounding area than you do about the hotel. Photos are key here.
    Yeah, I've been bugging them for more photos, most of the content was taken from the old website: Welcome to Creswick Motel

    As for rates and online booking, the owners didn't want an online booking system (i would have attempted it if they had asked).

    I'll see if i can chase up a few more photos today

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    "Services" is missing.

    The home page could use some copy work. Rather than talk about "why counselling?" talk about "why OUR counselling?" Common web design mistake...people want a life jacket and web designers/developers describe the benefits of a life jacket while swimming.
    This site is still semi under construction; i've never been the best at creative writing so i'll usually leave that to the business, unless i actually know what i'm talking about.

    As for the 'responsiveness' of the creswick motel site, I haven't actually looked at that on a tablet yet. It should render correctly on a tablet and then on a mobile device it should all be displayed in one column.



    Thanks for your feedback

  6. #5
    Senior Member timbo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    126
    Member #
    49722
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx View Post
    The first site needs margins on the side and maybe add a little more line-height. As it stands right now each page looks like overwhelming text. The colors work good together. I think you should have built the site with the width of 960px instead of 780px, at least that would give you more room to work with.
    The reason i've kept the page content an a narrower column is because i don't have a lot of content to fill the page. I do need to find a way to fill the empty space though, i might try messing around with the background once i get a few more photos.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx View Post
    On the second site, again it needs padding both sides, the colors work fine. I personally don't like the menu on the right side. It took me a second to realize "oh, the menu is on the right".
    I like my spacing (i'm not saying your idea is a bad one :P ), i try to keep all of my spacing the same, horizontal and vertical, it just looks better to me. So if i was to add more padding to the sides it wouldn't look right to me unless i added more spacing before each heading and then i'd break everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx View Post
    I don't agree with TheGames last comment about taking off your link. I do the same thing. You are not competing with the client, you are offering a totally different service, where if someone comes to their websites and they like the design, they can look down at the bottom in the FINE print and find the designer. You are not stealing viewers, though I would make your link, target _blank so your site opens up into a separate window so the person doesn't leave the original website.

    To elaborate a little more on this. I do a lot of political websites and I add my link to the bottom. I did a site for a Congressional Candidate and I get an email a week later from a lady who was running for Commissioner and needed a website, she told me she found me on the Congressional Candidates website. She technically wasn't on his site to look over his issues or anything else she was their to see what other candidates sites are looking like and to possibly get a designer. Anyways I don't see it as an evil like some do. But do what you feel is best.
    I agree, as long as the content has actually been made by the web designer, they should have their name somewhere on the page, as long as it is not branded all over.

    I hate it when i find an awesome website and can't figure out who made it, the same goes for awful websites...

  7. #6
    Senior Member timbo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    126
    Member #
    49722
    Liked
    26 times
    also, one more thing, can i ask which devices and browsers you were both using?

  8. #7
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,482
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2784 times
    Chrome on Windows 8. I drag my window slowly to resize it to see if any combos got missed and/or I see horizontal scrollbars.

    You can also use this extension if you're feeling lazy: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...cgefonfh?hl=en
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  9. #8
    Senior Member Fireproofgfx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    839
    Member #
    31498
    Liked
    171 times
    That is a cool Chrome extension!! Thanks for sharing that Game!!

    I am just finishing up on this Ocean Shores Gibson's BnB/Vacation and I too had to pull everything off of the old website using the Wayback Machine archive here lol. I don't write the content, I leave that responsibility up to the client.

  10. #9
    Senior Member timbo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    126
    Member #
    49722
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    The home page could use some copy work. Rather than talk about "why counselling?" talk about "why OUR counselling?" Common web design mistake...people want a life jacket and web designers/developers describe the benefits of a life jacket while swimming.
    I've re-worded it slightly using your suggestion, it does sound better... and probably better for SEO chucking in the business name a few more times too.

    I also added a quick fade in for the text content on page load, and set the fonts to cache properly, it makes page changes a bit smother.

  11. #10
    Senior Member hiitsme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    141
    Member #
    49461
    Liked
    35 times
    First website: The top part of the homepage looks too crowded. There should be a bit more space between the menu and the heading, and between the text and the adress on the right. I actually don't understand why you have the address there, because you have it on the map at the bottom as well, so you have exactly the same info twice on the same page. Other pages need a bit more empty space between elements as well.

    Second website: Menu on the right is hard to notice - people expect it to be on the left and it's always better to stick with conventions unless you have a good reason to do otherwise. It is quite hard to read the text - personally, I always find handwritting looking fonts harder to read, also, there needs to be more contrast between text and the background, especially when you scroll down on the homepage. Older people amd people with less than perfect eyesight are likely to be interested in the counselling service as well. The Send Message form needs some improvement as well - error messages should appear above the form, not on a separate page with a Go Back button. It is a good practise to use <label> tags for form labels, think accessibility. I also don't like the picture of three kids on the homepage, the quality of it is so bad, that it makes the whole page look unprofessional, looks much better without it.


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2021 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com