Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello.

First of all, I am new here. I just found this board today while looking for a forum soley aimed at web design and this seems to be it.

I would just like to ask opinions on the latest site that I have built. The whole site is standards compliant written in XHTML transitional with CSS.

www.student.twu.ca

It is my University's Student site.

Thanx to Jack Anderson for the original transparency idea.

Member #
    Very suited for a university website
    regards,
    robc

Yaz
    Member #
    I like it! it very cool... I have one question though, What did you use for transparencies??
    ..:: Yaz ::..

Member #
    Excellent site, I really like it, it has my vote, but the rollover nav's could do with being a bit more apparent?? just an idea - 9/10 - so 4.5/5 (i'll give u 4, but 5 if you improve the rollovers )
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Checked your code - how did you get the transparancies to work ( Yaz wants to know too) could you post a snippet of code or somethin?=g?
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Originally posted by justlivyalife
    Checked your code - how did you get the transparancies to work ( Yaz wants to know too) could you post a snippet of code or somethin?=g?
    I checked out the stylesheet and he used a semi transparent gif and then had a no repeat background, if that answers your question, atleasr thats what i make of it, he should be able to clarify
    regards,
    robc

Member #
    Nice!! Really, really well done. Easy to navigate, pleasant to look at: what more could you want from a site??

Member #
    Very nice design. I agree that the mouseovers could be a little more obvious. On a large resolution, the site looks bare, because the image is in the right corner, away from any of the site. But when I shrank my res down, the site was more appealing. Only suggestion would be to brighten it up, but that's probably just me, no one else seems to have an issue with it. Nice work, 4/5.

Member #
    I like very much this design, very clean and easy to read
    the idea with the transparent bg is cool.

i just have one suggestion: the content titles must be without under dashlines. you using them to separate the title in the navigation, so i think there is more logic not to use them in the content. May be you can use another font for the titles.

Member #
    Thank you for the reviews guys. I used a semi-transparent gif for the transparency effect. I am not very happy with it because of the feathered edges though. I will soon be using a PNG instead of a GIF, but internet explorer 6 does not support alpha transparency with PNG's so I need to come up with some JavaScript that will force it. It will look much better then.

I know the site looks a little bare on the high resolutions. This site serves as the home page to all the computer kiosks that are around our campus. They all have 15 inch monitors at 1024x768 so I decided to keep the image a little small.

I will try to make the rollovers a little more aparent but I was trying to just create something a little subtle because I thought it might look a little less kidish and more professional.

I am also just going to change the content headers to bold, but the underline will stay because it seperates each news post. Just my preference.

I still have some other work to do on it. That background image will change with each page via some embeded CSS as soon as I am done. Anyway, peace guys. Thanx again and keep the coments coming please.

NEW EDIT

OK, I have reworked a bunch of stuff. You will notice the header change. I pretty much just changed it to Georgia spelling it out for lack of time, creativity and simplicity. It suits the site well I believe but I still may change it soon.

I tried making the content headers and the section headers bold and I really was not happy with the way it looked. It just stood out too much, and was on the brink of distracting and ugly.

I had to add another login on the right, so instead of having 3 seperate boxes, I just added them all into one titled "forms."

Other than that, it has just been minor changes. Anything else I could do or does it pretty much look good?

OH YA, I forgot to mention, click on the navigation links.... the background now changes with each page. I had fun with this one...

Remove Ads