Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Fireproofgfx
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Yellow Pages 360 Alert

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Yellow Pages 360 Alert

Yes, it's a site pertaining to Yellow Pages and a service that they offer both in the US and Canada that clients of mine have purchased without having it properly explained to them...so this is of some potential relevance.

Yellow Pages 360 Alert

I have two primary things I want to focus on with this site as far as a review goes:

1) Do you understand the information? I intentionally kept things out in order to give more of a summary and tailor it more to businesses than to webmasters/webmistresses, but hopefully it's clear.

2) Does it make you go "holy SH*T, this is wrong!"

If you have any other comments pertaining to the layout, etc., that's fine too...but I'm not particularly concerned about the layout as I've intentionally tried to keep it simple.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Information is laid out nicely and after reading the homepage the following pages helped answers questions i had. I didn't see any "programmer language" which i had predicted i would see in some places so i believe it is written to tailor the audience you wanted.

I did get the "holy SH*T, this is wrong!"
    Not for anything you had done, but for the type of things they are doing. I am not only glad i haven't had any experience with them and am even more happy i now know how to react should a client ask about the service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Thanks, man. That is exactly the answer I was hoping for.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    1. Yes, I do get the information. For more commentary, see #2.
    2. I don't get the "Holy Sh!t" factor. I mean, I get it. I just don't know that an everyday consumer would. I mean, why is it bad that they've assigned a temporary number to my site? As a developer, I get it. Things that confuse users are bad. It stops users from connecting with you, and may cost you that lead. However, as a site owner, I'm not sure that I'd get it. I mean, if they call the number, and it doesn't work, wouldn't they just search around and find the right one? You and I know the answer to that question is "sometimes", but I'm not sure a business owner would realize that. As far as the Leads Page goes, as a business owner, I'd probably think that the more my name is out there, the better. I know this would be a good bit to do, but maybe with some real life stats on why this is bad for them, like maybe stats on the effect of a changing phone number, would help people understand why what they're doing is going to hurt their business.

What they're doing is wrong, for sure. Don't get me wrong, but I'm just not sure your target audience would see it.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You bring up a great point. I ran through it looking for programming jargon to see how understandable it would be. I also ran through it relying on the idea that all business owners understand business, which we all know isn't true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ronald Roe likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Vapr_Arts hit on something I was trying to go for...I very intentionally stripped away programming jargon for that specific reason. I didn't even put the Javascript or proxy server code or some of the other stuff that I have sitting in my back pocket as far as knowledge is concerned...and gathering more and more. It's a real rabbit hole, and I wanted to keep it as simple as I possibly could.

Ron: I partly agree with you, partly disagree. I disagree on the phone number, and the reason I disagree on the phone number is because of things I know about the phone numbers that you don't. Believe it or not, what I put up there as far as examples go are the "weakest" since they're the most common. The "stronger" examples of things I've seen aren't as common, but trust me when I say "if I showed them to you, you would definitely understand why at least a large percentage of businesses wouldn't require further explanation."

One of my clients nearly lost it when he found the altered website and wondered at a volume normally reserved for small plane engines, "WHO THE F**K REPLACED THE PHONE NUMBER ON MY SITE WITH THIS BULLS**T?" Fortunately, he knew I wouldn't have done that so he wasn't mad at me. I would expect this sort of reaction from business owners in general...you just don't screw with company phone numbers and websites no matter what you're trying to do. So I'm not overly concerned with having to explain this in detail, although if I find people are confused later on I intend to add in an FAQ based on the comments I see from the target market. I don't think this is something that will come up, but I'm not prepared to discount it either.

The leads page...that's where I agree with you, but I'm not really sure how to deal with the stats issue or how to bring out the problems with it. YP provides "reports" on "leads generated", but they're some of the most ridiculous-looking things you'll ever see and basically fit the Mark Twain "three types of lies" quote to a T. I tried to use the "How it Works" section to explain some of the flaws in it since there are both commonalities and differences with the "altered website" variant, but I'm not 100% sure this is the right approach. What do you suggest here?

And respek to your opinion. We must always show respek.
    Ronald Roe likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I am to tired to do to much feedback but I noticed that information is spelled wrong lol... INFORAMTION - INFORMATION

Besides that you have already received great feedback from the previous guys!
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Uhhhh....it was not!

Thanks, man. I rewrote that header four times.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Remove Ads