Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Please Review My Website - And Suggest any Improvements - Printing Press Company

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    1.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    1.5 out of 5

Compatibility:
    1.5 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Please Review My Website - And Suggest any Improvements - Printing Press Company

Hey guys i'm finishing up a website that i'm creating for the company i work for. It's using a Web-To-Print back end service that a lot of printing companies use. This was mandatory for me to use by my boss. They give me access to customize everything with HTML and CSS. Sadly they will not let me change any of their Javascript so i had to style it only with CSS. I had to find a lot of CSS work-a-arounds to try and get the same affects that i'd normally do with Jquery and try to pull them off with CSS3. (Ex. the slider at the bottom of the page, or the vertical navigation)

The Website is CMYK (Cyan, Magenta,Yellow and Black) themed being it's a Printing Press company. I like the direction so far, but i could use any advice on things i can better to make the UX better and overall design.
    Currently the website is not mobile friendly, that will be the next thing i work on once i'm finished to the current re-design.

Advanced Litho

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I think the main problem is with navigation. There are too many items on the main menu dropdowns for people to use it comfortably. Then you have a sidebar menu on the left as well with same items, but less, and grouped in a different way. I find it confussing. Anyway, most of the people will use the main menu at the top. I doubt if the grouping is user friendly, e.g. I am after a t-shirt, no way on Earth for me to know that it is under "4-color digital printing". I would go to the competitor's site where it is easier to find. I think you need to seriously re-think the navigation. Especially, since there are so many competing online printing businesses.

"Upload work" - what work, for what purpose? Not clear.

"Learn more" on the "Design online" block on the homepage leads to the product listing page. It needs to be renamed, since it does not help users to learn more. Link is a promise and you break it.

Also, I think it is unreasonable to ask people to create an account to get a custom quote. Why? Many competitors don't do that. If people are happy with your quote, they will create an account to use the service. Not to mention that the registration form is very long and boring...

Personally, I would never use this service, it has too many things that put potential customers off. People need to get what they need with as little effort and thinking as possible.
    Dshojaei3311 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I completely agree, the navigation is the main problem. I appreciate theyve advised not to use jquery which restricts the dynamics of the menu.
    However, catagorising the products differently would be beneficial. Heres a similar site which is easy to navigate - exaprint

On the homepage im not sure the vector graphics work, they dont entice me into thinking you offer quality print products. Id probably use actually jpgs of your products rather than 'fake' pictures.

'upload artwork' couldnt you add this feature only during check out? your drop box could get full and quite maliciously too. This would disable your actual customers from using the feature.

Contact us - you shouldnt have to be signed up to do so, you could lose potential customers straight away
    The same goes for your quote section

Shopping cart, again let users add to this before having to be signed up. They want to add multiple items but after adding one they are already prompted for 101 details. Offputting, makes for poor conversion and lost sales.

Monthly specials - make a feature of these? use the slider at the top, which at the minute isnt offering me anything informative, wow factor. Use this space to really shout about your best deals and convert sales from the first impression.

Homepage actually flows quite well, and better once the slider and product images have been addressed.

Styling on the product pages could do with some work. All of the relevant information is available, which is great. The layout/design isnt too far off of being great either but text sizes, shadows etc need a little work.

2 ways to order part - i would remove the upload artwork feature and advertise 'don't have a design? choose one from thousands here'...
    Dshojaei3311 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you for the advice. I actually agree with everything your saying. The site is a re-design from a site that was created by a Web-To-Print company called ZooPrinting. They are actually the ones that created the Top_Navigation bar with Jquery. Also i noticed that the original website was pretty much a wall of links. I can change the Parent category names, but sadly i don't think i can re-organize the categories. They make me use a back-end software that only let's me edit the HTML, and CSS in certain spots of the site. And all the drop-downs from the navigation are from their server with Javascript. The Front page was created by me, but the account sign up, and the quote service i can't control. Wish i could then it would be way more UX friendly. The service the company i work for uses seems to be limited. I also don't have any control over the account creation or anything like that sadly. Even though i really do agree with you.

I will work on changing out those vector images with maybe some good stock photos. I know my client can't afford a photographer. They wanted me to-go with a cartoony look, but at the same time i noticed that the images were not reading the way i wanted.

The Upload Artwork is something the client wanted that's from their original website. What would you recommend me do for something like that? Maybe create another page for such things?

What do you think on the Design Online image with the Laptop? Does that read the way you think it should?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Do these new Photos read better than the original illustration images?

Advanced Litho

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    They do work, alot better.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm glad to hear that. I created the vertical menu myself hoping that it would help with the confusing organization of the top_nav menu.
    I attached a screenshot of what the website looked like before i started working on it. Would you say before it was easier to navigate? What would you review it as?

C1.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Your changes have definately benefited the website. I like the section at the bottom of the screenshot for one simple reason.
    I work with printing companies on a regular basis myself and if I was to visit your website to either price a job up or to order, your category headings mean nothing to me. If I want business cards, it has to be obvious thats a) a service you provide and b) a quick link to it is beneficial.
    Id include something simular to that bottom section of your screenshot so no matter what i'm looking for, its easy enough to find. At the moment this is a huge pit fall in the current website.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Navigation is definitely easier in the screenshot than it is on the current website.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Are you responsible for the graphical work? I think you have made great improvements to the site. The issues I'm having is graphically. Mainly the use of Wreck It Ralph. I don't think placing another persons face over someone else's artwork is going to be ok. Definitely not creative.

The mouse in the "Design Online" section. That mouse is driving me crazy! Personally I think it should be removed. Most laptops have a trackpad and the laptop alone can work without one. Keep it simple right? If it has to stay at least get the dimensions right.

Theres way too many pages to go through and critique everything. I will say the site looks a lot better from the screenshot. I like the navigation changes, unless you added more to the large list of pages in the drop downs. I like the overall design. Not responsive though.. Thats an issue in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads