Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    2.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    2.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Porfolio site review

Hey,

Could I get some feedback regarding my website, I recently updated it to a minimal theme.

I still need to add copy to the projects.

Here is a link to the older version:
    www.patrickhdoorly.com/old/

Which one do you think is better?

Cheers,
    Patrick

| Digital designer | Patrick H Doorly
    Last edited by thepaddyman123; Jun 24th, 2015 at 04:41 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Looks ok - not the best portfolio I've seen but it has a professional looking edge.

1) If your a 'creative' designer, shouldn't you be adding a creative touch to the site rather than using a basic theme and populating it? im all up for using themes because they offer alot of features, but you should be doing your bit to customise it, make it your own, improve on whats already there. I use 'x' theme alot not for the design template but for a huge list of other reasons. The theme you have here is basic and something a non designer would use.

2) theres no copy, do you want google to find you? Even when/if you are found theres nothing to say what you do, what your skill sets are. You need some intro and alot of conversion techniques in place too.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Studio87 View Post
    Looks ok - not the best portfolio I've seen but it has a professional looking edge.

1) If your a 'creative' designer, shouldn't you be adding a creative touch to the site rather than using a basic theme and populating it? im all up for using themes because they offer alot of features, but you should be doing your bit to customise it, make it your own, improve on whats already there. I use 'x' theme alot not for the design template but for a huge list of other reasons. The theme you have here is basic and something a non designer would use.

2) theres no copy, do you want google to find you? Even when/if you are found theres nothing to say what you do, what your skill sets are. You need some intro and alot of conversion techniques in place too.
    Thanks for the feedback, yeah I think I might change the font and add a background pattern and maybe modify some other elements of theme.

Still waiting to add some description regarding the various projects and yes I think I will also add some information about my skill sets.

Regarding the conversion techniques, what are they relating to. I guess they are SEO?

Also do you think the older one is better?

http://www.patrickhdoorly.com/old/

Thanks again.
    Last edited by thepaddyman123; Jun 13th, 2015 at 03:55 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I definitely prefer the old one over the new one. Seems to show more personality than the plain and boring one you are switching to. It may be because of the content and none being on the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    I definitely prefer the old one over the new one. Seems to show more personality than the plain and boring one you are switching to. It may be because of the content and none being on the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I know what you mean, With the new one I am trying to go for a minimal blank canvas with more focus on the actual work I have done and less emphasis on the portfolio web site itself.
    Last edited by thepaddyman123; Jun 24th, 2015 at 04:39 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Any other comments?

Remove Ads