Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    1.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    2.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    2.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Lightbulb University Web Usability Critique

Hello all,
    Our team has been tasked with updating and managing a self-help tech support area for students and faculty on our universityís site.

I have some general ideas to improve (e.g., would like to find a way to avoid using drop-downs for main content), however Iíd love to hear what your thoughts might be.

We are looking at the Digital Toolkit section of the site and itís sub-pages. Link here:

Digital Toolkit | PACE UNIVERSITY

A few points:
    ó We donít have much control over the CSS or page templates in our CMS however we are free to reorganize the hierarchy of pages and do what we want within the main body of each page.
    ó From looking at a few months worth of data in Google Analytics, most users are browsing from a desktop or laptop. This makes sense as most of the content is to support desktop applications and tools.

Thank you!
    Academic Technologies
    Pace University

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I agree with the dropdowns, they look and feel bulky to use, I'd take all the content out of the dropdowns, and put it end to end, then move the dropdown titles into a dropdown on the sidebar that opens when the sub page is (also make the sidebar follow you as you scroll), that way you don't have to have all the clutter of dropdowns, and you have instant access to whatever you need to look at, regardless of page position.
    Hey you! Go make something!

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I think the main problem is having two separate menus, it is confussing at first glance. E.g. you have "Schools" link on the first menu, then "Colleges and Schools" under "Academics at Pace", which links to the same page... I would try to re-thing navigation (though would be very careful with it and do some testing, users hate changes in navigation). Don't see any real problems with having the drop-down though - users see what sub-sections are there, no wasted clicks - don't change it unless you have a good reason to do so (in terms of improving user experience, not aesthetics).

Remove Ads