Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello all,
    Hello all,
    First, Id like to thank everyone who has reviewed my previous sites. You'll have been most helpful.
    For the last 2 years I have been planning to launch a portfolio visibility and project lancing based site. I have gone through many ups and downs with the layout architecture because I got many reviews from co-workers, testers and even folks like you from other discussion boards. Inspite of having so much feedback, the project has not yet gone live to this date and I am peeved by it. I have decided to make this my final version whether good or bad because I can only gauge it's success once it is tested by it's actual audience.

There have been several versions of this but I now have only 2 online on our development servers.
    The first one that was previewed in April of this year and is at:

http://www.wcti.org/2tone
    -few notes here:
    1) You can test the registration process now as thats the only module we have online.(Click on Tone setter and then "open account now")

The second one which will be released at the end of this month has a one page preview available here:

http://www.dbryant.com/testing/default.htm

Please let me know which site works better in your taste. The second one is XHTML/css compliant, loads in half as much time and has more color, but the first one has a lyout that is conducive to content oriented sites. I would appreciate your comments on this. Thanks alot.

Member #
    I like the second design much better. For a portfolio site, it shows more creativity and has a better "wow factor". On the first design, I don't like the navigation at all: it should be more than text links going across the top. Also, your banner is empty, with the exception of a small logo on the left. The second site clearly shows that you have graphical talent, while the first one looks like you are more skilled at coding than designing.

Member #
    Thanks alot spluff daddy!
    I do like the newer version better as well. Thanks for your review. Well the ocde has not yet been trasferred over to the new version, so I guess it will be "code friendly" once it is tested with code in it, huh?

I appreciate you taking the time.

Member #
    I didnt look at your code for the second one, I was just comparing it to the first one, which had alot more plain text. The second one shows that you can do alot with graphics, and that you dont need to rely on text only elements in your design. I like!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Personally, I like the second layout better. It loaded much more quickly for me and despite that, still looked nicer. I think if you cleaned up some of the minor issues with it, which I'll list below, you'll be fine:
    1. "Its whats inside" should be "It's what's inside".
    2. I'm seeing that damn Pixel font everywhere now, and for the size of the graphics you're using, it's too small. Try a larger, less widely-used font.
    3. I think you should look at anti-aliasing the "Empowering Web Professionals Worldwide" part. The letters tend to collide with each other.
    4. Make the links on the top roll over once the user puts his/her mouse over the parallelograms, not the words. it's not consistent with your left side navigation.

Other than that, you're good to go.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks alot spluff Daddy and the Game!
    Those were some very helpful comments. I will make the suggested changes in TherGame's post. About the pixel fonts, the reason I chose it is because it is alot better than some of the other pixel fonts used out there. It is alot clearer, easier to read and has good kerning. Sites like k10k.net, and styleboost.com use the pixel font badly because useability suffers to the nth degree. Thats why I decided to use this one because although it may be common, it is tried and tested, and works. I didnt want to go with other anti-aliased menu's because of loading time, screen interoperability for different resolutions and smooth feel.

I like your idea about te parallelograms- Very nice catch and a very important concept in HCI(Human computer interaction). Thanks again guys.

Remove Ads