Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.3 out of 5

Compatibility:
    1.3 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

A website about everything. Can you rate my design?

I am a programmer, and I am totally blind as far as website design is concerned. I created this website from scratch(without using third party tools like wordpress etc..). Idea for the website is to keep the design as minimalistic as possible, content will be various articles of all subjects.

Anyway, I like the design so far, but other people don't seem to share my opinion. What would you change? Does the layout color "hurt" your eyes? Any advice is welcome. Also, website is not yet mobile friendly so better not view it on cell phone.

Here is a link to home page - Article Mixer

And a link to one of the reviews - The Ballmer Peak

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    First of all, I'd recommend centering the content on the page, and get rid of the :hover animations on the articles, it's too subtle. You might also be over using the border radius, with your color scheme and layout I think you might be better off trying to go without it, and go for more of a google cardsy design, because right now it kinda gives of a web 1.0/2.0 vibe. Lastly, you NEED a call to action, something that is really obvious for the user, like an article spotlight.

Appologies if I was too harsh by the way, I've done quite a lot of critiquing.
    Last edited by Noteleklabs; Jul 03rd, 2015 at 11:13 AM.
    Hey you! Go make something!

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I like the minimalism and simplicity, thumbs up for blue links (I am serious) though I would change the shade of blue. Apart from being not responsive (looks bad even on my laptop!), I think the main problem is that it's unclear what is this website about. Consider having some tag line or intro or anything... I agree with getting rid of :hover animation. Otherwise it's good, the layout is predictable.

Member #
    Thanks for the feedback! I am abandoning that design altogether. Wanted to make something from scratch, but it turned out to be too much of a hassle. I will redesign the whole website and probably use bootstrap to make it responsive/mobile friendly once I get the time.

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfArticle View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I am abandoning that design altogether. Wanted to make something from scratch, but it turned out to be too much of a hassle. I will redesign the whole website and probably use bootstrap to make it responsive/mobile friendly once I get the time.

Thanks.
    Id recommend Foundation over Bootstrap. Flexbox is a powerful tool to use if you want to do it on your own. Takes some playing around with but if you're anything like me its rewarding doing something on your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads