Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

lustaekwondo.net16.net

Good day all,

http://lustaekwondo.net16.net

I am looking forward to getting some helpful feedback on a site i've been porting over. I am not a professional web designer and am a 1 man team doing this pro-bono for my club. This is written purely in HTML5, CSS and JS. There is no Wordpress or other templates.

This is hosted on a free web hosting company during its "build" phase, so please forgive any speed and "ads" that may occasionally popup.

I am primarily concerned with the front page as I should be able improve the subpages based on the feedback before asking for more feedback.

Things I know need work and am looking for help to improve even by just a little:
    • Too many navigation buttons. Am working with the owner to reduce by 1 or 2 choices. The extra width gained should allow bigger font.
    • I feel the main images are too tall. Shrinking by 20-30% should allow a bit more room. (But I will happily be wrong here)
    • I need more professional and less grainy photos. (These were taken from a tablet on the wrong side of the room with people doing fast movements).
    • I hate the color of the banner... (Solid vs. Gradient?)
    • I should probably reduce the number of rotating images to 5 to relieve the load speed more.
    • The bar with the tournament listing is meant to show an upcoming event.
    • That awful amount of text. I have to convince the owner to remove most of it. But I feel like I need something.

Things I like and hope to keep:
    • The animation in the top right. It took me forever to figure out how to do it. 8-)

Thank-you for taking a look.

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    You have absolutely to many images on one page. I never got the page fully loaded before I backed out of it. There's several ways to have an image gallery other than trying to put all of them on one page.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Ive reduced it down to 4 images in the meantime and reduced the image quality to shrink the file sizes by about 15%

Can I assume you mean some sort of gallery that shows say the first image then loads the other images in the background and will only display once they are loaded?

I've also moved the "tournament ad" lower.

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Hi there again. How many images do you have on that page you want people to view?
    Looks awesome to see those kids.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    No number in particular. I could definitely capture all the different essences of the club within 3-5 images. There is a photo gallery elsewhere on the site, so this isn't meant to be a gallery, but just a quick showcase.

I wonder what the best tradeoff is between size of a image vs quality.

Ive been working on high speed this whole time, so your remarks caught me off guard in a good way. I'm going to start using a speed limiter.

Member #
    I'm at 699kb for the page. 24kb smaller than the original site, so that is good. It looks like the average page weight for the top 1000 sites is 1.6mb , i'm doing not too bad.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Generally it's not bad looking. The main problem is that it is not fully responsive.

The number of navigation buttons is fine and I would not change anything. Well, maybe Schedule could go under Members,but not sure about that, since non-members might be interested in that. I suggest rewording the "Other stuff" link under Members, links need to be descriptive and thats the complete opposite of that. Also, I would get rid of the icons on the menu. They just make it look a bit old-fashioned, also, they are from different icon sets, don't match thus look weird.

There is a problem with the rotating images: there is no way for users to go back to the previous image, stop it to have a better look at a particular image etc. And that is very frustrating, especially since the majority of other websites have these controls and people expect them.

As for the amount of text on the homepage - it would be alright as it is if it was made to look a bit more exciting: bigger headers, more difference between headers and sub-headers (h1 and h2), possibly using colours, highlighting main points... Just helping people to find what they are looking for without reading A to Z.

Also, users need to know what is clickable and what is not. For example the "2015 General Choi..." block is clickable (a link) while the green free class block is not though they look the same. Such inconsistency frustrates users.

Remove Ads