Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

The link is a screenshot of a design I'm playing with viewed at 1280 x 1024. (Not the best quality though but it's the overall appearance I'm concerned about.)

www.lobsterweb.com/images/design.jpg

It's a text heavy site generated dynamically so I don't know how long each section of text will be. It's also fluid so the width will change according to the browser size (hence the amount of white space in the banner at 1280px).

The main aim is to make it clear and simple to navigate yet stylish.

The navigation tabs change to white when a page is selected to highlight the position in the site.

I'd be very happy if you could let me know what you think.

BTW - This is my first ever site built using PHP/MySQL and {shudder} Dreamweaver. It seems that Dreamweaver lends itself to PHP a lot more readily than ASP - where I found it to be next to useless - I may even change my view on DW

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Another BTW - The blurred tab on the image contains the name of my DB, nothing sinister!

Member #
    Its a nice looking site.. Though i hope it will be optimised for 800x600 in the future.
    Im not a real fan of that shade of purple and i would consider implementing some more images into the layout.

I look forward to seeing the end result. Good luck

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the positive comments. While it's not 'optimised' for 800 x 600, there are no errors when viewing in that resolution, if anything it probably looks best at 1024 but 800 to 1280 are fine.

Attachment is an 800 x 600 screenshot:

www.lobsterweb.com/images/design_small.jpg

Unfortunately I am completely colour blind so I will have to ask my colour consultant (girlfriend ) to choose a better set for me when she's got time.

As an aside - I've got this weird bit of software that allows me to extend my desktop up to 9600px wide (the monitor scrolls). While this is completely crazy it's interesting to look at web sites in that res! Dynamic sites look ridiculous and static ones take ages of scrolling just to find amongst the sea of background color or image!

Member #
    lol..
    Just wondering, are you going to write your own forums or were you going to use an open-source forum package?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm converting my own forum from ASP/Access to PHP/MySQL.

I've spent quite a while on it now and it's got a comparable level of function to this forum - it's just not been thoroughly tested yet - specifically security on the admin pages.

the only thing lacking at the moment is an email option but that will come with the new PHP version. Ultimately I would like to distribute it as a forum plug-in (for free of course ).

Member #
    ok, sounds good. Last year i spent six months coding some forum software in Perl, and i accidently deleted all the files and i hadnt bothered to backup for like 2 months... i learnt my lesson though.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Never a good thing. I'm a bit lax about backing up. I've got a batch file that moves all the site files to my server but I can never be bothered to click the shortcut to it!

Bear in mind, if you write another one it will be that much better than the one that was lost.

Member #
    Nice design. It seems to scale different resolutions nicely. I agree that the color scheme needs to be tweaked (alot). Also, the background behind the tabs could use some sprucing up. Maybe a subtle pattern, or a different color background. The gray is just a little boring. Nice work overall.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks.

The evils of colour will be overcome this weekend when I have a better pair of eyes with me and I'll improve the graphics overall.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads