Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Please review my portfolio

Hello everyone!

I've been getting into html, css, php and jquery more seriously now for about a year and I feel like I could finally take on an actual project to earn some money, however the few "potential clients" I've had so far have stopped all communication with me after the first or second email reply.

I've been thinking maybe my web design portfolio isn't as good? Or presentation skills? Maybe both...

Could you please give me some ideas what I should be doing better?

Here's the link:
    Ynef's Portfolio

Side notes:
    The portfolio itself is actually pretty old as I learned a lot of new cool stuff from my latest WordPress theme (first one in portfolio).
    For example the links shouldn't open a new window! I still like the simplicity of the design and that's why I have kept it the way it is for the time being.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Long story short, you need to use more css, the whole website looks like it could have been made in Microsoft Word, and that's not necessarily a good thing. You seem to be using red as an accent color, but it is full value red (#FF0000), and you are only using it in two places, which makes it look like more of a mistake or after thought than a design choice. One way to fix this is to use a color pallet (I really like the Flat UI or Google Material Design ones).

In regards to the rest of the website I highly recommend going on themeforest and looking at portfolio templates, find ~10-15 you like, and figure out why you like them ("I like the header on this one, but the slider on this one looks great"), look at the source code if your not sure how they pulled something off. Then close the themes and start to incorporate the elements you liked (header, footer, sliders, graphical style, color scheme). If you have any other questions feel free to ask, as me and many others are always on here willing to help out someone
    Last edited by Noteleklabs; Jul 18th, 2015 at 11:31 AM.
    Hey you! Go make something!

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Honestly, your portfolio is lacking both design and coding, Nothing about it tells a potential client "I need to hire this person here". Your website in its current state is really plain. You just need to keep getting better, building a better portfolio as you do and then start sending people to your portfolio after that, your portfolio right now will only hurt your chances of getting any jobs. I would also highly recommend finding other websites that you like, like what Noteleklabs mentioned and start incorporating the things you like in those website into your own design.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Also (slight side note), I really don't like your choice of font, you are selling yourself as a designer, a person who chooses colors, and places elements precisely. And a rounded font like that just doesn't sell that message, it's a step away from using comic sans. I'd recommend using a non-rounded serif font, I've listed a few of my favourites that would look good on your site below.

Body Text (Small Stuff)
    - Open Sans
    - Roboto
    - Source Sans Pro

Title Text
    - Raleway
    - CODE (This one comes as a file, you can learn how to implement it into a webpage here)

Member #
    Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it!

You have just pushed me to set aside everything else and build a decent looking portfolio instead :P

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Yup, good luck with your new site, and if you need any help just make another post!

Remove Ads