Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    5.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Start Page Project - Review and Feedback

Hi there! This was intended to be a personal project but it has turned into something I am actually releasing so other people can use it if they want. It's not much more work to do that rather than just keeping it internal. The domain extension .xyz is kind of silly but hey, it works (for the most part)...

https://mystartpage.xyz/

Known current problems/to do (as of 10:09AM PST 8/15/15)
    -After registering, no feedback is presented before redirecting to login page.
    -When registering, if email is already used, it displays MySQL error not a friendly error
    -No feedback besides redirecting to proper page after login
    -No email verification
    -When using as guest, "Bing" is not selected, even though it does work and will by default search bing if no search engine is chosen.
    -If you close browser and come back the session is broken (refresh is required for proper functionality) and it may not remember login (in which case log in is required, will be fixed soon)
    -Favorite sites not responsive
    -If user changes the favorite sites and does not use format http://www.example.com or https://www.example.com the title does not work, and the favicon only works if the site stores it at URL/favicon.ico
    -In the future I want favicons to be stored locally and cached for better performance
    -Screenshots do not work
    -Favorite sites can be rearranged but it does not save so if you refresh it goes back to the same order.
    -Misc optimization for better performance

But other than that do you like the general style of the page and what the service does. Do you think it is too flat or OK? Is it something you would use is if it worked properly? FYI, the about/features text and the advertisement are NOT shown to logged in registered users only to guests.

Thank you for any opinion good or bad. And do feel free to use the service just keep in mind it's not quite working perfectly yet, so some patience is required

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I like the style, is clean and simple enough for a search page/browser homepage.

The reasons I would not use it for myself are these:
    1.It does not have instant search (like you type and suggestions appear), I love that.
    2.Generally I hate registering for things that could be done without registration;
    3.I use adblock, so don't see any ads anyway;
    4.Most of the things could be done using the default browser functionality(saving favourite pages, choosing default search engine, using a different search engine for a particular query).

I guess it might be useful in situations when multiple people share one computer and all of them are motivated to have their own starting page.

Anyway, don't take my words as a discouragement, it's just my opinion, other people might find it useful.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    My take is sort of the same as hiitsme's take. I registered just to see what would happen, and I think what it's missing overall is the "unique" factor. It looks okay from a strictly aesthestic point of view, but it also looks like a weekend project in that..."okay, it's a start of something, but what is it and so what?"

I'm not even sure about the shared computer aspect hiitsme is referring to. In this house, all the tech-minded people have their own devices now and in many cases multiples. That's where mystartpage.xyz MIGHT be useful, but even then it's a limited use. The only thing it might be useful for is carrying across favorites, but Chrome does that with bookmarks if you'll let it (I don't personally).

So that would be my overall take...you may or may not be on to something, but you need the unique or at least rare factor.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Thank you both for your input. Your points are all completely valid and I am not 100% sure if I can fix that - simply due to the nature of the service being as simple as possible. It works great for ME because I use so many different computers and devices. There is definitely some redundancy with Google Chrome's syncing functionality (that I do use heavily) but some people do not trust Google - also sometimes I would like to access my top sites or be able to search without signing into Chrome. Perhaps on a client computer or just a random computer at work where I don't want all of my bookmarks to show up and I don't want all my saved passwords and Google account info on that particular computer if I forget to log out.

The site is rather useless without registration because there would be no way to sync the user's favorite sites and search engine preference. If you simply want to search just make your home page Google.com or Bing.com or whatever it is you like

I am not sure how I would go about adding instant search suggestions. For me this is not very important but I do know this is personal preference for many people. Unfortunately this is not the easiest thing in the world to do nor is it free if a lot of people start to use it. It's especially difficult because I offer so many different options for search engines. Currently I do not log or store search history in any way and I intend to keep it that way - the search function is completely separate from everything else and does not pass user id info. The only thing that is stored on a per user basis as far as the search thing goes is the default search engine.

You know what, even if it's totally useless for everybody else it is useful for me, it's a good experience and practice working with PHP/MySQL/etc, and it will be a good portfolio item I don't envision being able to make the big bucks based on that one banner ad - just enough to cover the $2/year that domain cost me. I will continue to refine it and will report back when I have fixed all of the bugs and it's actually usable on a production basis and maybe then the opinion will be different - but I suspect that the niche for this is not so big and it won't grow huge. But it was still worth my time to make it, so I am not bothered or insulted at all.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    And that's cool. If you learned something from it and you can use it on other sites, or in this case if you built something that's useful and/or a time saver to you, that has value as well. I try to do that with every project, so that even if it doesn't make a lot (or any) money, I still take something away.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Made lots of progress screenshots work now for logged in users!
    Last edited by noodles415; Aug 22nd, 2015 at 11:42 AM.

Remove Ads