Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Awesome Forms, my new product

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Red face Awesome Forms, my new product

I recently launched Awesome Forms, a web app which lets you create web forms with a drag-and-drop interface and embed them into any website you control with no server-side code required. You can create almost any kind of form you need, for example a contact form, a customer survey, or a simple sweepstakes entry form. Please let me know what you think!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello! I think the design and video look nice.

I had a look at the video. I would have wanted to see how the submitted forms are presented to the website owner. Does s/he get an email? Or is there a dedicated GUI for viewing all submissions?

""unlimited forms for free, no credit card required. You only pay if you need to see beyond the first 500 entries per month"""
    -- I would think that websites with such high traffic already have implemented contact forms or something like that already. I'm thinking you're too small scale for such a large website (500 submissions/month) to want to rely on you. I would guess you'll never earn any $.

What about privacy -- I'm wondering, where do the submitted forms end up? In your database? You'll be able to read all submissions then? I wonder if large websites would trust a relative unknown person/team with all their form submissions. If I had a website and were to use your service, I would want to know more about privacy related to submitted forms. (Without having to search for a small privacy-policy link somewhere.)

There are many sites that offer a lot more for free? This one for example: Feedback Management System, Help Desk Software, Support Ticket System there's a feedback form for free on that page, at the right edge. (And much more than just the feedback form.)

If I were you I'd keep my eyes open for other ideas too, so you don't have only this project in mind.

Best regards
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I think KajMagnus nailed the whole problem with your idea. High-traffic sites will likely have custom contact forms as they'll be looking to gather specific information for their sites and properties. I don't see how this is of use to anyone who would be a paying customer. Heck, even a lot of low-traffic sites will use some contact form plugin for W*rdPr*ss or other CMS. Even there, the "drag and drop" functionality that exists within them (e.g. LEAP CMS) tends not to be used by clients in my experience.

It looks like a nice enough site. I'm just not convinced it offers any functionality that would somehow supplant anything even a below-average developer could come up with.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The idea came from my own needs. Often times I would have a web design project without any access to server-side scripting. There are other options out there, but I find their limitations to be overly restrictive for what it is. The other thing is that adding a form with best practices, such as live validation, can be cumbersome additional work. Using Awesome Forms you just create the form you want and embed it, and the live validation features come for free.

There are certainly ways I could find to expand the offering and make it more useful. This is certainly valuable feedback. Is there anything else you guys might suggest to make the offering more appealing? There are several competitors in the market who are seeing success; right now my main differentiation is that there are fewer limitations at lower pricing. Any feedback I can get is helpful!

Edit: Sorry for the late reply; it's been a really busy week and I haven't had time to check in.

Member #
    Congratulations. This is a clean, professional presentation. The visitor understands immediately what the site is about, and the calls to action could not be more clear. Great job!

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cvincent View Post
    The idea came from my own needs. Often times I would have a web design project without any access to server-side scripting. There are other options out there, but I find their limitations to be overly restrictive for what it is. The other thing is that adding a form with best practices, such as live validation, can be cumbersome additional work. Using Awesome Forms you just create the form you want and embed it, and the live validation features come for free.

There are certainly ways I could find to expand the offering and make it more useful. This is certainly valuable feedback. Is there anything else you guys might suggest to make the offering more appealing? There are several competitors in the market who are seeing success; right now my main differentiation is that there are fewer limitations at lower pricing. Any feedback I can get is helpful!

Edit: Sorry for the late reply; it's been a really busy week and I haven't had time to check in.
    The question I have is "how do you know if they're seeing success?" Unless you work for a competitor, in which case you're in a conflict of interest position, you have no way to know whether or not they're selling one drag and drop form builder or one million. You can speculate and guesstimate, but I don't really see how you're going to know if they're doing well otherwise.

My take? I don't think there's much you could do with the idea one way or the other. It might work for you and your clients, in which case that's the extent of the usefulness of the tool. And that's okay. I have several tools like that; they work for myself and my clients, but I could never mass market them and I don't want to.

My suggestion would be that, unless you can think of some hook that would be difficult to duplicate and easy enough for you to create, to probably shelve this idea.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I do have a growing number of users right now. The competitors in the space are definitely getting somewhere as well, as evidenced by funding rounds and continued investment in advertising, active social media, etc. I can't come up with exact numbers of course, but where there's smoke there's fire. I do think that there's room for another competitor.

Right now I'm looking at adding a file upload option to the form builder. This is something that's a little bit trickier to pull off correctly than, say, a simple email contact form. I really think the sweet spot to target is anyone putting together a website which is mostly static but with a need for a form or two which isn't enough to justify the extra cost and risk of maintaining its own server-side scripts. I'm also getting ready to send out a survey (built with Awesome Forms, of course) to see what else my existing users want out of the product.

I think right now it's more about finding a niche and developing toward that than it is about whether to continue at all or not. It's still early on, with plenty of room to specialize. My last startup could really be described as a form builder geared toward a very specific use case, and we saw several years of success. With this product as a basis, I think I can find other areas of specialization and go from there.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    The funding rounds may be a sign of failure, not of success. Consider this...if the service is selling for a competitor, then they should be generating enough revenue and subsequent cash flow from sales that additional funding rounds shouldn't be necessary. Even if they were, then there should be enough of a base from whoever the angel investors were the first time around to want to invest more. After all, they're making bank, bro!

I would say the same thing about being active on social media. It's not really an indicator of anything. Now, if they start investing in say radio, TV, billboards, and other offline advertising methods...then they're going big. Just having a Twitter or an FB account and posting on it regularly doesn't establish much, other than they're trying to promote themselves online.

I'm not saying any of this simply to argue or be contrarian, either. I hope your forms project works out for you. I just can't see it, though.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Obviously VC money doesn't necessarily indicate success. But it also doesn't indicate that the company has no revenue on their own. Often times it's injected with the intention of helping the company grow faster with more marketing and engineering budget than they would have simply bootstrapping off their own revenue. It's also an indicator that at least one person with a lot of money sees potential in the idea. Again, that doesn't mean it isn't a gamble, and most VC-funded startups fail as it's a numbers game. But I certainly see potential in this idea.

I do appreciate your feedback and I know you're not just trying to be a jerk. It is helpful to see things from another perspective. But I've always had somewhat optimist tendencies, which I suppose is what keeps me going starting new ventures in the first place.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    I agree with that. I do however wonder who the audience is. If it's the professional web designer, the product and presentation is to simplistic. If for the beginner, good, but they would be better off with wordpress and plugin no? I was a web developer for many years, now retired, so I like beginner tools (too old to do anything else) and I love Wordpress and FormMaker there. The developers at Web-Dorado have a great tool, you should check it for ideas: https://web-dorado.com/wordpress-for...ting-form.html - best of luck vincent!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads