Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Please review my combined Forum + Q/A software

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Question Please review my combined Forum + Q/A software

Hello

Would you like to review new forum software, under development, a bit inspired by Discourse? From a design and usability point of view I suppose since this is a design forum?

Here: http://www.effectivediscussions.org/

Is it clear how this software differs from other similar software or is it just ... you feel like there're already 999 things like this?

Please click the Demo button and have a look at the demo section. There are some unusual design decisions and features I think. What things give you a not-good impression? (And is there something you like or anything else that comes to your mind?)

Best regards, KajMagnus

(I know that the topmost video is broken -- I just haven't made any video yet, it's a placeholder)
    Last edited by KajMagnus; Aug 23rd, 2015 at 01:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It looks interesting. I say "interesting" because I guess my biggest concern is that I don't fully understand what it is. It kind of looks like a Reddit/Intense Debate thing, but I can't quite tell.

The source code thing...if you tell people you don't know if it works, they probably won't download it and use it. You should make sure it works.

I like the self moderation idea myself. It would be nice to know how it self moderates and if those settings are adjustable (e.g. 100 likes, a net positive of 50 likes, 100 comments, whatever.)

Not crazy about the two column layout for cell phones. You may need a way to hide the comments on the right side and show them when a user clicks on them (kind of the way some sites handle their main navigation).

"Upovte" is misspelled on the home page.

I think you're definitely on to something, though, and it may have a market if you're willing to invest some more time and patience into it. I wouldn't use it personally, but I can see how some other people would.
    KajMagnus likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi TheGAME1264 and thanks for the feedback :- )

I'm also not totally sure what it's going to be. Something like a forum + QA + gathering ideas & user feedback perhaps. I just added a "chat comments" section on each page so now it's Reddit & QA + traditional forums kind of. The next step could be to find out if this is a good idea or not ...

I told people not to download the source code. (Short of time, don't want to try to make it work now)

Good to know about 2-columns on cell phones. I've been thinking about hiding the recent comments list too and show on click.

Fixed the spelling error.

If there are other reasons why you wouldn't use it, except for you not being sure about what it actually is, then I'd be interesting to know :- )

Best regards, KajMagnus

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It basically comes down to "I don't really have a use FOR it as such." It's nothing you did wrong; that's why I can see how other people would use it. It just doesn't fit anything I'm doing, that's all. Hopefully that makes sense.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads