Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Website Feedback for Design Course

Hey everyone,

I've created a website for a fake company and I've been asked to gather some feedback. I'm being assessed on not only the design of the site but also the functionality, it has to be working without errors. I've done my QA and I'm fairly sure I haven't missed anything. Would you be able to leave me some feedback on your thoughts of my website?

Travel Tasmania

Thank you,
    Guy

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Hi Guy,

You actually did miss something on the functionality, but given that it's a design course, I'm not sure it has to "work". It's your contact form. It doesn't actually submit or do anything. My guess though is that it probably doesn't have to.

Looks nice overall, and the code is decent. A few things related to the table in the middle of the home page:

1) You can do this without a table by using the CSS height property and floated divs. Since you're using CSS3, you can also use the nth-child selector (or other "nth" selector of your choice) to clear them. How exactly you do that is up to you, though.

2) A little lesson in contrast, and you're far from the only person who doesn't know this. Contrast is important. Specifically, contrast ratio. There's a technical explanation out there, but the simple explanation is "you want to make sure your text and background vary enough in contrast for people to be able to easily see it." There are also accessibility specifications defined for contrast ratio, since a low contrast ratio can negatively impact those with vision disorders.

There's even a tool for it that you can use to analyze your foreground/background colours to make sure they meet the accessibility standards. And it's free. Colour Contrast Analyser (CCA) | The Paciello Group ? Your Accessibility Partner (WCAG 2.0/508 audits, VPAT, usability and accessible user experience) So go ahead and use it and drop that bit of mad knowledge on your design course teacher. You'll be the Professor Amari Tuss in no time.

I'm also not sure if you're supposed to make it responsive or not (i.e. make it work on cell phones and tablets), so I don't know if you're looking for any feedback that way.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I like the site a lot. It's refreshing to see a new development that's not full width. I like the colors and choice of fonts. I might go slightly off white for the background (f7f7f7), and possibly the home page image is slightly out of focus, which you may have intended, but I think would work better if not. Those are minor points; I think the site works very well.

Richard

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I really like the site. You might consider making the home page image a little bit less tall - it uses up most of the space on lower resolution laptop screen.

Member #
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it!

I'll definitely be implementing your suggestions before submitting.

And TheGAME1264, I haven't added any code to the submit button on the contact us page. For this module we are just focusing on the CSS and design.

Thanks again,
    Guy

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Looks good (good to see another Aussie on here too :P)

There's a few things i'd change. responsiveness is a big thing now, a lot of people will be looking at your site on mobile devices.
    as rechardw said, maybe use a very light gray rather than white for the page background.
    i'd change the social logos to fit in with the website theme a bit more, i find making them all flat 2 colour icons generally makes them fin in a bit better, see the footer on http://www.coyotecreekartistry.com/
    Last edited by timbo89; Sep 01st, 2015 at 06:27 PM.

Remove Ads