Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By hiitsme
  • 1 Post By timbo89
  • 1 Post By St_Elmo

Thread: We need criticism (constructive), pointers & tips to learn & progress..review please.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

We need criticism (constructive), pointers & tips to learn & progress..review please.

Haaay All....,
    This is my 2nd test site I created...(learning web-design @ 58...:slow: )
    Please give me constructive criticism, tips, pointers & improvisation techniques on my site: DILIJ Restaurant and Wine Bar

All comments appreciated...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    That's great...I got zero's all around...! Oh Me Gosh..! what went wrong...wrong...wrong...?

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Looks good in general, predictive layout and navigation for a restaurant's website.

Things I believe need some improvement:
    1.The rotating images on the homepage - there need to be some arrows to go backwards-forwards, so that people can have a look at them at their own pace. They do that, believe me.
    2.The images below it should ideally get enlarged when users click on them. The quality of the images should be better in general, but I guess these are the images the client supplied.
    3.Generally it is not a good practise to have text as images - I am talking about the Business hours block. All that could be done with CSS.
    4.Email addresses should ideally be mailto links <a href="mailto:someone@example.com"> to make the life easier for users.
    5.The pages (about, the menu) need to be structured in a way that enables people to get the most important info without reading A to Z. Use bold, bullet points, subheaders etc.
    6.Most of the websites have Location/Contact info as the last menu link. It is best to stick to conventions, and it makes sense to do it that way- people read all of information first then check the location/create a reservation (well, in the ideal life scenario).
    St_Elmo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    It's a good start, I would change a few things...

1. Don't use images for text, it won't show up in search results as text would, and it doesn't scale without pixelating.

2. Don't display email addresses, use a php contact form, that way it's easier for your customers to contact you, if you use a mailto link, for a lot of people this will just bring up dialogue boxes and get annoying... Here's something to get you started https://css-tricks.com/nice-and-simple-contact-form/ ...just google "simple php contact form" if you want more

3. I like the colours and the image layout, the only thing i'd change is the spacing. The gap is bigger above the top 5 images and below the bottom 5 images than it is between them.

4. Your navigation bar is off centre and on my screen the font is a bit hard to read.

5. Fonts!! don't use times new roman, it looks boring and standard, changing the font will make your site look 10x better (in my opinion)... have a look at Google Fonts: https://www.google.com/fonts

6. Your description and keyword meta tags are empty, fix this if you want google to index your site correctly
    HTML Code:
    <meta name="keywords" content="Enter Keywords" />
    <meta name="description" content="Description Here" />
    7. On your reservations page; i'm not sure if your form works, I tried filling it out and it lead to a blank page... there was nothing saying my reservation was received. I also submitted a blank form and got the same result.

8. On your wine list page; the wine list is just a block of text, you should format it as a list or at least have line breaks in there.

9. On your about page; I don't think it's necessary to introduce every staff member for a restaurant, i'd leave out things like "Sandra runs the Financial and Administrative sectors" and focus on the people that your customers will be meeting, like entertainment, chefs and maybe the manager

10. All of your page titles are exactly the same, you need different titles and descriptions on each page if you want google to index.

11. Last one for now, the stock images down the right side on your pages make the page look tacky, i'd get rid of the 'reservation, receptionist and management' images

Hope this helps, like i said, good start, now you get to do all of the finer details :P
    St_Elmo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the wonderful advice guys...as I mention, I have only just started...about 2 x months now, since I did a self teach course via the net, so not formal experience...whatsoever...will keep trying. Best wishes...Theo

Saturday...14h00 here in SA

I spent the morning learning some CSS and create the Biz hours, purely in CSS..
    getting there....now to learn how to use Google fonts...
    Last edited by St_Elmo; Sep 12th, 2015 at 05:53 AM.
    timbo89 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    That's how i learnt... just fiddle until it looks good.

...and then you can start learning about cross browser compatibility, responsive sites and you'll learn to hate internet explorer :P
    Self-taught web designer. LinkedIn

Recent Websites:
    Coyote Creek Artistry, North East Counselling, Creswick Motel
    Feedback is always welcome

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo89 View Post
    That's how i learnt... just fiddle until it looks good.

...and then you can start learning about cross browser compatibility, responsive sites and you'll learn to hate internet explorer :P

Haha...very prophetic words...I just spent some time this weekend making some small changes (changed fonts, added a "back" button, etc) to one of my test sites, Nav's Interior Design Products and had a bit of a heart stopper when Firefox displayed my site incorrectly... which was quickly solved with upgrade to latest ver. Then I tested with Chrome, Safari, FF and was just patting myself on the back when "WHAM..!" IE 11 makes the site look...as if designed by someone dyslexic..!
    OMW...what does one do..?
    Any website where I can read and cross-browser compatibility..?
    regards..

Remove Ads