Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts

Thread: Color and the design of my new company website

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Question Color and the design of my new company website

Hi all, first time caller here with a question about color and websites. So I just created my company website (www.pcatww.com/training) by initially choosing a wordpress theme that i liked based on me being a 1950's kinda guy who always has had an earthtone kitchen from the 60s and 70s, even today. For me, my kitchen always says "come on in and have a chat" which is what I really want the site to convey. Let me say that I am not a professional designer, although I have been employed as one in the past.

But then I read this: https://blog.kissmetrics.com/gender-and-color/?wide=1 and I have to wonder. Is Orange really that hated, and considered "cheap"? It seems to very popular, even google uses it for the analytics tool. Orange and brown "hated" ?!? Maybe it's a generational thing, and the data looks old. But it made me stop and scratch my head!

So, what do you think? If I were to change the color scheme, now is the time to do it before I go out and print the marketing materials and business cards for all. Everything so far is keyed off this palette, even our plan for painting the new office. One caveat, my main competitor in my market has an all blue and white color scheme, which according to the cited survey is a sure bet. But anything blue is not an option for me outside of the blue toned photos we will be posting later to illustrate the site.

Cheers,
    Jigs
    Phoenix Consulting and Training Worldwide | Helping you help the world.
    Last edited by jigs; Sep 01st, 2015 at 08:22 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    When it comes to a stock WP theme, the truth is it really doesn't matter. It's a stock WP theme.

The cited survey is generalist, and it depends on your industry and who you're trying to target. Sometimes different colors work for different things. Orange tends to be tricky for reasons of contrast ratio (it's actually better to use black or dark colors with orange but it tends to look better on white), but that's not a reason in and of itself not to use it. Among others, A&W uses it quite well.

My major suggestion would be "if you like the scheme, keep it, but significantly edit your theme."
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You should consider looking into design theory and more precise color theory. Colors can mean all sorts of things and like Game said sometime different colors work for different reasons. For example I wouldnt use Orange on a Banking website as orange tends to be more playful and banks need to look professional. On the other hand orange would be a great color for say a Halloween shop site. There are tons of reasons why you choose colors and I would advise you to put personal opinion to the side and focus on what color best suits your needs. My favorite color is green. I own tons of green items and if it were up to me I would use green in almost everything I did, that isn't realistic though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheGAME1264 and timbo89 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Tangerine begs to differ, Vapr_Arts.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    You should consider looking into design theory and more precise color theory. Colors can mean all sorts of things and like Game said sometime different colors work for different reasons. For example I wouldnt use Orange on a Banking website as orange tends to be more playful and banks need to look professional. On the other hand orange would be a great color for say a Halloween shop site. There are tons of reasons why you choose colors and I would advise you to put personal opinion to the side and focus on what color best suits your needs. My favorite color is green. I own tons of green items and if it were up to me I would use green in almost everything I did, that isn't realistic though.

Hmm, I might look into that, I always have trouble trying to decide on colours.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo89 View Post
    Hmm, I might look into that, I always have trouble trying to decide on colours.
    Color theory really helped me understand what colors I should start with. For picking the actual color shades/tints I will go to colourlovers, Adobe color, and another color palette site I bookmarked. I usually don't use the whole palette but pick and choose from the ones i like and compliment each other. Colors are one of my biggest hurdles when doing any design.

timbo89 likes this.

Member #
    You definitely need a logo. The big text at the top doesn't convey professionalism.

Remove Ads