Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By heike

Thread: Please review my website!

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Post Please review my website!

Hello, my website is new and I created a HostGator review website, and I need feedback on the wordpress design. My website url is www.hostgatorpennyhosting.com.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Well it is a blog that looks like a blog. If that's what you wanted, it's good.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I will give you credit for one thing..this doesn't appear to be a thin affiliate site. I was expecting that when you said it was a review site for HostGator.

Mind you, I'm not a fan of your site. It uses this Wordpress theme, which means you didn't spend a lot of time on it...and more importantly, HostGator would have to improve significantly just to be ranked "terrible". They are the worst host, by far, that I have ever come across and I have successfully migrated all but one of my clients away from it.

Why?

1) They're an EIG host. EIG hosts, and in particular HostGator, are known for poor service and major outages.

Thoughts on Endurance International Group (EIG) Hosting | Linux Depot

If you've ever had to live through any of these outages...and I have...you'll get your site away from these idiots with the quickness. No one should reasonably expect a host to be perfect all the time, but the clients I had with HostGator experienced four major outages within a year ("major" being defined as "at least 24 hours"). That's bad.

2) The PCI Compliance Lie. This is where HostGator will openly state that they're PCI compliant...but then they indicate what their definition of "PCI Compliance" is. Ask any company responsible for PCI compliance scans and they will tell you that this isn't PCI compliance. A PCI compliant host proactively makes sure that your server is constantly kept patched and updated without your intervention. HostGator doesn't do that. If you haven't had to do a PCI compliance scan on a HostGator site, I hope you never do. The results are brutal, and take several hours to deal with.

3) Support. The live chat support is all but useless, and it's still better and "quicker" than the phone support. You usually wait about 30 minutes for a live chat rep and 45 for a phone rep.

Now, if you're doing simple sites such as the one you put up, they're probably okay. Just about any host would be, even with the bloated nightmare WP has become. If you start building anything complex or nuanced in any way, you'll need to start looking for another host.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you for the comments guys! I'm glad you guys like my Wordpress theme.

Member #
    You need a logo. A good logo that doesn't look bland and spammy. The layout and design itself can look good with a little bit of tweaking and a little more to catch the reader's eye. Good niche too. Very competitive, but very profitable.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Not much of a comment on the design itself, rather on the business plan.
    I don't think that this is going to work.
    There is a bunch of small niche sites like this and your does not seem to be exceptional in any way.

Yes you provide some guide, but I don't think that you will get any direct traffic with this "blog".
    TheGAME1264 and hudwol like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Well put, heike.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads