Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts

Thread: Feedback needed for a client

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Feedback needed for a client

I need a little help here. Think of this as an experiment in the psychology of what is pleasing to the eye. There is a list of websites in the Phoenix area that have to deal with painting. Are there things that are good about these sites, bad, things that you feel like are scams or just a waste of time? Any feedback would be welcome.

My client is looking to change things up, but does not know what to change and why he should. To remove some of the bias his site is included in this list but I am not pointing out which one. I just need honest feedback about the sites to see what people like and do not like.

Phoenix Painting and Drywall Phoenix AZ

Phoenix Painting Home Page

House Painters Phoenix AZ - Exterior and Interior Painting

Phoenixhousepainting.com -

Phoenix House Painter Pro | Professional House Painter in Phoenix

Marcel Painting | Arizona Painting Company

Phoenix House Painters | Judon's Custom Painting LLC

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    The approach of your client is wrong. There is no logic in just changing things for the sake of changing. There is no need of copying the others, he just needs to identify what the goals of his website are and see if the website meets them (user testing, professional evaluation etc.). I'm not going to evaluate someone else's websites unless the owners of these websites ask me to do so.

Member #
    1st one: The design is clean, I like that. But it's still a bit hard on the eyes. I don't believe that the pictures are really this business' recent work. Looks like stock imagery. Furthermore, I feel like a business that did that good of work could at least spare $5 to get a professional logo on Fiverr! 5/10

2nd one: I wouldn't take a second look at this website. A website portrays what a business is. If your website sucks, I don't trust your business either. So this website... no. 2/10

3rd one: Too much text! It's not simple enough. No one wants to read that much crap. They want the big picture in a smaller area. The logo is boring. The slider takes too long to load and is UGLY. I wouldn't stay on this site long. 3/10

4th one: Terrible logo. Terrible website. And the whole JavaScript effects that build the page slow it down too much. Just bad. Enough said. 2/10

5th one: Looks like crap. The best part is the footer. No logo portrays that this business isn't legit. 4/10

6th one: Better. Ugly logo. All the gradients make it look outdated and cheap. Not enough info on the page. 6/10.

7th one: Outdated, boring, ugly design. The logo is okay, but not great...or good. Too much text, not enough to catch the eye and sell the customer on their service. No call to action. 5/10 on a good day.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    1) I don't see what hudwol is referring to...as in "I don't see any recent work or any work at all." A painting company should have pictures of their work, and should send their crews with cameras to shoot before and after shots, among other things.

2) This may be what hudwol is referring to.

http://trevorneilsonpainting.com.au/...nnum-sands.jpg
    http://phoenixpaintinganddrywall.com....3015030822570

I'm not going to say who took what picture from who, but those are the same. Watermarks are in order here.

They're also using this theme:

https://nexusthemes.com/wordpress-th...rdpress-theme/

3) The text hudwol is referring to is "SEO text", and it ruins what started out as a nice site. "SEO text" is only useful when it serves both users and search engines, and since painting is visual, people want the pictures. There's no reason for this...only an excuse. The top menu also doesn't function.

The job shots appear to be theirs. That's a plus.

The watermarks make sense here...but these are the wrong watermarks. They should blend in more with the image.

4) This was built using Themify...yet another reason why drag and drop building for websites doesn't work.

https://themify.me/

The job shots appear to be theirs, but they don't lead with their best job (the backyard rocks) and they show an "in process" shot for the epoxy job rather than showing the final output. The "in process" shot could work as the second or third with a brief description...not the first.

5) Another theme, and not a particularly good WP theme. These guys use it too (and I'm not linking to an SEO company).

seosydneysolutions.com.au

The theme is called "Christianus". I can't find anywhere that sells it or gives it away.

Again, no job shots.

6) Decent site. It's customized, which is more than some of the sites up there are concerned. They need job shots for each of the categories. The ones on the home page aren't bad, but they're small.

7) Based off of this theme: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/themes/weaver-ii/

Some shots that would look good enlarged but are too small.

As far as which one I'd probably be most likely to buy from is concerned...I would organize them this way:

#6, and if they ever put any decent job shots up in a gallery it would probably be a no-brainer

Here's my reason: if I'm looking for a painter, I'm looking for someone with expertise and that isn't going to be lazy. If I see a WP theme on the site and/or shared images, I'm going to assume right or wrong that the painter him/herself is lazy. I'm not necessarily going to judge the aesthetics of the site as such, since I'm more concerned about what the person can paint and how they indicate their skill and what they did. I would probably run screaming from anyone other than Michel, especially #3 due to the SEO text (even though I ranked it #2....this is primarily due to their usage of their own job shots). This is why I tiered/grouped them...in my eyes, it's "guy who actually had someone put forth a bit of effort", "two companies with job shots", "four companies that I would use if I was feeling particularly cheap and wanted to hire someone I expected to give me student painter output".
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. It gives me something to bring back to the client. Now I am off to find random people to see what they say as well. Thanks again!

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    We weren't random enough for you?

You're welcome!
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrane View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. It gives me something to bring back to the client. Now I am off to find random people to see what they say as well. Thanks again!
    That would be a mistake. Never just ask a bunch of random people what they think. Most times you will get crappy advice.

You asked us, people who build websites, which was a good idea. Now you need to ask people who your client is trying to target. For example, i would be a horrible person to ask if I hadn't been in the dev/designer group. I rent and have no intentions on hiring painters. I am not in your clients target market. You should only ask random people within a specific target market, not just any random person.

Trust me, never ask for advice from say people on your Facebook page. You will have everyone and their mama giving you their "expert" advice. Stick to those who know what they are talking about, or those that your client is trying to reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hiitsme likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Yeah never ask a "random" person a professional question. At least here you will receive professional advice from people who know what they are doing in an industry you need true advice.

1) nicest looking site theme or not. Most complete site of them all.
    2) one of the worst websites out of the bunch. No layout, color or images. Looks like this was the old website and then the above theme website was built.
    3) has a lot of issues from the slider displaying two pics of the same pic. Too much text, water marks are horrible and distracting on the Images.
    4) Home page looks cheesy as hell and doesn't work properly. Amateur looking website in all.
    5) Basic Theme, with pro stock graphics. Looks and feels cheap.
    6) Yet another theme, with no pictures to sell the product. Bad idea in my opinion.
    7) there has got to be better Black and White "photography" WP themes than this one.

Remove Ads