Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Weird issue, my website doesn't show uploaded images.

Hello,
    I've got a weird issue with my website that I've built here and few years and it always worked as I made it. Suddenly (might be since few months!), it doesn't show two of the pictures I've put on it (one jpg and one animated gif). The pictures were uploaded (through FTP) in my remote host and are visible there. While I test my website in few browsers from within my computer, it all works fine and it shows them. So all links are ok. But still it doesn't show them on my website on the Internet. I've repeatedly re-uploaded them but still they're like non existing. What on earth could be the weird reason for that??

Thanks for your feedback!

BD

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There's about a million possible reasons for that. The most common is that you haven't used the right path to the images.

Go ahead and give us a link to your site and someone will probably figure it out, or at least get you pointed in the right direction.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    It's mind blowing about the million of reasons...
    I've checked the two files on the remote directory, the ARE there!
    I also, erased and re-uploaded ALL the files and directories on the remote site
    but the result is exactly the same - they don't show on the Internet but they
    show well when tested with browsers within my computer.
    I am with 'Mad Dog' for hosting.

Remark: Τhe two files are, one jpg with that well known picture of the Earth map
    with the night lights from space; and one gif (animated) I've made with personal graphics.
    Here the link for my website. What's missing is a picture (animated GIF) in the starting page
    and it shows just an empty rectangle instead, while in next pages the background picture
    (a JPG of the Earth map with night lights) in the top frame is missing.
    Here a link to my website: - A 1 action answer - Guitar Embassy

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    First things first.
    Please, for the sake of all that is good (aka the internet) remove the audio that starts playing right out of the gate.
    It`s annoying even for people who come to buy a guitar.

Google should penalize ppl for that.

As TheGame said, there could be millions of reasons for that.
    I think that it might be due to the fact that you have spaces in the src tag, however spaces is then encoded as "%20" and that might be why the link does not match with the URL of your site.

More on that here.
    HTML: href syntax : is it okay to have space in file name - Stack Overflow

Try removing the spaces and then report back.
    Also as mentioned before, get rid of the audio track.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The other thing you may want to try, besides the spaces, is naming your file all lower case (along with all the subfolders) and then using the lowercase filename/path as the source. Filenames can be CaSe SeNsItIvE, depending on your host and server (Linux is...Windows isn't). I can't remember if GoDaddy/Mad Dog is like that. I think it depends on the server you're on.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    543 times

Weird issue, my website doesn't show uploaded images.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    The other thing you may want to try, besides the spaces, is naming your file all lower case (along with all the subfolders) and then using the lowercase filename/path as the source. Filenames can be CaSe SeNsItIvE, depending on your host and server (Linux is...Windows isn't). I can't remember if GoDaddy/Mad Dog is like that. I think it depends on the server you're on.
    On my GoDaddy Linux server it is case sensitive, at least from what I recall. I quickly got in the habit of using camel case so I may be mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Guys you are geniuses or if you don't accept that title, you're close-to-geniuses!
    And I'm a close-to-desperately-DISTRACTED one.
    Of course, I had forgotten about spaces and especially NOT to put signs like "+" etc.
    Never the less, all my other pic names with spaces work fine, only these with "+" had the problem.
    So now everything looks fine again. But I'm asking myself, should I not rewrite ALL my file names
    with no capital letters and underscores everywhere so that no host or browser would exclude or modify them?

On the other hand, 'heike' suggests that I get rid of the audio.
    I am surprised why you say that, as so many websites have not only audio, but really annoying
    sounds and also VERY annoying ads etc. WHY should audio be considered as annoying and even
    to such a degree that "Google should penalize ppl for that"??... My website is about guitar lessons
    in the modern music field and some audio would give an appropriate ambiance for it. I'd be thankful
    if you could give me few good reasons for why not having that?

Greatly thankful anyway, TheGame, heike, Vapr_Arts, for reminding basic truths to an amateur in Website building.

BD

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Use dashes if you can instead of underscores.

https://www.mattcutts.com/blog/dashes-vs-underscores/

As far as the audio thing goes, the major reason you don't want to do if you can is an accessibility reason. Screen readers "talk" and your sound interferes with their "talking". It's explained here in more detail.

Autoplay is bad for all users | Punkchip

Yours is one of the few cases where the argument could be made for sound, but I would suggest to you that you let the users control it.

And you're welcome!

Member #
    With the below question ...
    Quote Originally Posted by BadDisciple View Post
    So now everything looks fine again. But I'm asking myself, should I not rewrite ALL my file names
    with no capital letters and underscores everywhere so that no host or browser would exclude or modify them?
    ... I would say no, unless you have the time and inclination. Browsers don't care about case, servers do. As you are using Linux and everything is working, that means your html matches the case of your directory structure. The case structure you use is a personal preference, I prefer camel case. hardtoreadwhenmanywordappearasonewithoutcamelcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads