Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: A little intro, and a link to my website.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.5 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    5.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

A little intro, and a link to my website.

I am Matt, a web developer from Canada. I have had my own web design business for a few years now. I thought I'd come on here and give some guidance.

I am quite familiar with HTML, CSS, Javascript/jQuery and PHP just to name a few. I do have knowledge of other data storage technologies like JSON or XML, but they aren't really used to develop a website, just to assist in it's functioning. I started teaching myself Swift over the summer, havent had enough free time to really master it. I love the programmatic side to app development, I'm not so fond of the UI development portion, quite similar to my dislike for image manipulation programs like Photoshop or GIMP. There is nothing wrong with them, in fact my biz partner is a wiz when it comes to InDesign. I just prefer working in an IDE to an image manipulation program.

This is my business' website, it is the second version.
    Web and Graphic Design St. Catharines | Brand Web Design
    The first version has been archived and setup as a sub-domain.

I welcome any and all feedback. Love it or hate it, I would like to hear how you feel.

P.S. This is a responsive site, meaning it will look different depending on what type of device you are viewing from. Please consider that when commenting

Looks like my css needs some fixing. Validators are always shooting out errors on modern css rules like 'user-select' and 'zoom', or pseudo-elements/class'.
    Last edited by brandMatt; Oct 22nd, 2015 at 10:37 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Its nice strong and consistent branding

Some bits are hard to read though - the navigation items are a bit too small. And the "check out our work" link in the animated part goes to "brandweb.design/our-work/" which doesn't load for me.
    Alexey likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Thanks for your comments sarahswansea, I have fixed the broken link. I created the site on a different server, then migrated it after I was done. The CTA button with the broken link still pointed to the old server. Thanks for bringing it to my attention

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I like it. There are some small things that bug me and can be considered personal preference rather than something you have done wrong.

The color scheme feels calm and peaceful, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I just think a more vibrant and "exciting" purple might feel better. Again just personal preference and can be ignored.

Something that may not be preference is the way some of your links are formatted. Primarily the "Come meet the dynamic duo..." When i fist saw it I instantly ignored it and in my head thought that it was an ad of some kind. I had to take a second look to realize it was something I should click on.

Im torn between the bottom nav bar. I thought about using something like that and wasn't sure how it would be perceived. So i do like it but am worried it may confuse some less tech savvy people. Granted this is on my phone and may all look different on desktop. I actually thought about it for a desktop nav as well. You probably wont have that issue and I might have just over thought it.

Other than that, it loaded a lil slow for me but I'm also in class with bad service so that might be my fault not yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Yes it is responsive, the nav is in the header on the desktop version. I went with a lower nav on mobile so users' can reach the menu without re-adjusting their grip. Ill chat with my partner about making the links more apparent they are links, good suggestion.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Here's my take on this:

1) I think Sarah's half right. It's not so much that the navigation items are small (although they are) as much as they're lacking in contrast. For some reason, they seem to pass a Level 3 accessibility test for contrast ratio, but I still find them hard to read because the links themselves are too dark against the background. If you went to say #E0E0E0, you'd end up with a much higher contrast ratio while still keeping them from being completely white. If you did that and you increased them about 0.1-0.2em, you'd probably have something much more legible.

2) Did you use your fingerprint as part of your logo and favicon? If you did, that's kickass. I've never seen anyone do that before.

3) Here's my major issue...you guys have a nice-looking site. I won't say you don't. It's nice to look at, even with a few accessibility issues primarily pertaining to contrast ratio. But here's my issue, and this comes from someone who hires designers on behalf of a few of my clients...I don't see anything particularly unique, other than the fingerprint logo. Okay, that's cool. But that's one example of creative thinking...which is more than about 99.999% of what I see, but still not quite enough. I see a few examples in your portfolio, but I can't click through to the sites. I see you use WordPress. That means you've only distinguished yourself slightly from just about every other designer and what few coders there are out there. Mind you, I live about 40 minutes away from you guys (Mississauga) and this may not matter if you're only trying to stay in St. Kitts/Welland/the rest of the Niagara Region. If you're doing that, fine, this is probably about all you'll need. If you want to expand further, you're probably going to have to do more.
    brandMatt likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    We originally tried to use one of our fingerprints (there are two of us in this biz), but the tight lines didn't translate well to web, so we had to modify it. We purposefully chose not to link through to the sites because they are CMS' and we have little control once handed over to a client.

We are happy doing biz here in the Niagara region, though we don't discriminate Yes I have a strong grasp on the wp API, though it isn't limited, just favored. They have a well documented API, anything I don't know how to do, has been done before, and well documented to boot. I used to develop for Joomla, I just prefer wp. I also hear great things about Drupal, after I have a solid grasp on Swift, I plan to check out Drupal's API.

Thanks for your comments, I plan to show them all to my partner. Your input may directly guide the design direction for our site. This goes for anyone who throws their hat in the ring. I appreciate it.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brandMatt View Post
    We originally tried to use one of our fingerprints (there are two of us in this biz), but the tight lines didn't translate well to web, so we had to modify it. We purposefully chose not to link through to the sites because they are CMS' and we have little control once handed over to a client.

We are happy doing biz here in the Niagara region, though we don't discriminate Yes I have a strong grasp on the wp API, though it isn't limited, just favored. They have a well documented API, anything I don't know how to do, has been done before, and well documented to boot. I used to develop for Joomla, I just prefer wp. I also hear great things about Drupal, after I have a solid grasp on Swift, I plan to check out Drupal's API.

Thanks for your comments, I plan to show them all to my partner. Your input may directly guide the design direction for our site. This goes for anyone who throws their hat in the ring. I appreciate it.
    I forgot to mention Swift. I have been learning a little here and there as well. Now that someone else here has some experience I will be more inclined to post about issues Im having and I learn a lot from helping others as well so please if you have any issues post them somewhere here and I will try and help sort it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times

This is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for, for your sake. I'm not even a fan of WP, but I can respect where you're coming from and that you've thought about it. I can even respect not linking to something controlled by a client, although that may be a decision you're forced to make down the road. If you don't have to, though, and you're not comfortable...yeah, don't.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Hi - First let me say that I like the site - I particularly like the graphics on the "Our Team" page - they really get across the concept of the difference between dev and design. But I agree that the contrast on the nav could be a lot better.
    We purposefully chose not to link through to the sites because they are CMS' and we have little control once handed over to a client.
    I do quite a lot of WP sites - my clients often request it, and it's usually because they want to maintain it themselves.
    I also worry about live links to a site I don't control. I have a clause in my contract that requests that I can keep a copy of the site, with generic content, on my server as a displayin the event that the live site diverges substantially from the original design.
    Not all my clients agree but the majority do, and it lets me showcase the original work even if they change the site beyond recognition. Or if, as in one case, they move to the other side of the country and discontinue the site altogether. In these cases, I do clearly state this arrangement in my description in the portfolio.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads