Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 3 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Starting out, where are my mistakes?

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Question Starting out, where are my mistakes?

Hi, my website is Research your Jewish family!. I'm new to all this, i have had some clicks but no buys and i was wondering where i am making my mistakes?
    Looking forward to some constructive criticism!
    I know some of my links are broken, by the way, i'm still working on it.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    You have a lot of issue but that is to be expected when you first start out. It's good you started out and tried to code a site on your own, rather than taking the Wordpress route. As for your code it could be a lot better. You are using Tables with individual styling rather than DIV's with external styling which is easier. I would highly recommend https://www.codecademy.com/learn, it's free and you learn at your pace.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    There is nothing wrong with using Wordpress. I have been developing websites for several years now, and still use Wordpress. It gives you a solid and secure login system. It's api allows for some fantastic customizations. In fact even with my several years of web design experience, I would have used Wordpress with a custom theme and custom plugin to build your website.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brandMatt View Post
    There is nothing wrong with using Wordpress. I have been developing websites for several years now, and still use Wordpress. It gives you a solid and secure login system. It's api allows for some fantastic customizations. In fact even with my several years of web design experience, I would have used Wordpress with a custom theme and custom plugin to build your website.
    The reason for the WP hate on this forum isn't really an issue with WP. The problem is we see a lot of people who want to be "developers" but think that getting WP installing a theme and changing some text around is the way to go. Most will try and get by with little to no coding. So when we see a newbie trying to break out into the coding world its sort of satisfying to see them doing it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Starting out, where are my mistakes?

Right on. I apologize for derailing this thread with my pro WP post.
    I'm on my phone, your site isn't responsive, so I can't really comment beyond style, which leaves a lot of room for improvement. So I'll hold back commenting beyond that, until I'm back at my computer.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    The major reason you don't have any "buys" is very simple. It has nothing to do with the layout, although as others have pointed out it isn't helping. It has nothing to do with your copy, although that isn't helping either. The reason...you don't have a way to order anything! You have a list of services and prices, but no way to order them. I can't order online. I can't call. I can't figure out how to order it at all! I also don't see any refund or privacy policies, but that's part of the ordering process.

Even a simple Buy Now PayPal button would go a long way compared to what you have now. Start with that and then you can work backward from there.
    delstu, brandMatt and Fireproofgfx like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Before I go into my critique, I'll start off by saying I second Fire's suggestion on using codecademy. I got more from those tutorials in a few weeks than I did learning HTML in high school and Dreamweaver in college. Just reading up on html and css will do wonders for you.

With that said, I wouldn't feel comfortable critiquing your coding since I'm new to it myself, but being an illustration major, I think I can help with the color scheme a little. Right now, you have dark blue, beige, black, gold, red, and royal blue on your site. The first 4 colors are okay, but the red text is hard on the eyes, especially when it's against a blue or gold background. I'd switch the red text to beige when it's against a dark background and dark blue when up against a light one.

Look into using hex codes for your colors instead of the defaults (e.g. color: red; ) when styling elements. If you don't have program that makes it easy to find hex codes, there are plenty of sites you can use to help you out.
    Last edited by gesturepoke; Nov 09th, 2015 at 11:43 PM.

Remove Ads