Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello there!
    My pal Shahar and I released v2 of our site, http://websitefaq.com 4 days ago. The site is a database of FAQs about Web building and designing.

I would like to hear what's your opinion about the site design, layout and maybe systems. These is some points I especially want to discuss:

-The colors.
    -The logo. (Star, font, effects...)
    -The Quick Navigation Box (Open it with click on that orange line)
    -The simple main page (Good, bad, ugly...)
    -That triangle curves.
    -The gradients used on the red lines and the blue ones.
    -The vB3 integration.
    -The advertisments.
    -The graphics on the forums.
    -That little div I created to wrap the search button and bold it to make it always look like an active form.
    -The use of Trebuchet MS on the header.

Of course you are invited to discuss whatever you like, but these above are the things that interests me the most.

Thanks in advance,
    Ronny Orbach.

Member #
    I don't like the homepage. It appears that you have alot of information in your site, but you can't see any of it from the homepage. Instead of forcing people to search for all of your information as soon as they get to your site, I'd rather see the "FAQ" link act as the homepage. That way you are showing people what you have to offer, instead of making them search for it. The search box can be placed somewhere on the homepage, but IMO it shouldn't be the ENTIRE homepage. You aren't google, people arent going to know exactly what your site is about unless you put some information on the homepage. Plus, because your site looks like it could be google, I got confused and wondered if you built a search engine for the web. I think you went overboard on the "Fast, Simple, Easy": The page loads superfast, because there's not much to it, the home page is overly simple, and these two factors make the site no where near easy.

That's just my opinion, seems like you have a great resource, you just need to present it better.

Member #
    First of All, thanks for the comment!

Well, of course we thought about that. You're right, were not google, not everyone knows what to do. Maybe we'll add some content on the main page, but from that to make the FAQs page the homepage - I don't know, we'll think about that, thank you for the advice.

What about other things - The colors, design, logo, vb integration...?

Member #
    My heads not working right at the moment, so I won't go into much analasis just now, but I agree with Spluff, I think the main thing you could have on the main page are the newest FAQ additions and a little about them. Your existing page would make a good header for it, just have the updates in a simple layout below it.

Intergration seems good, and the colours are nice.
    Nothing to see here

Member #
    Everything is all cool, but I suggest you give more info on the homepage.

Member #
    I dont completely agree with the above, agreed that the most recent posts could be on the main page, maybe a bit more of an explanation on the main page of what it's all about, but I do like the google idea of searching through the website FAQ database on the front page. But I dont think that you can leave it as it is.

As for comments on the different aspects of your site:

-The colors.
    ** Not keen on the red, the blue color of the star seems right, but the red seems to bright compared to the blue.

** I like the logo.

**As above, dont think you can leave it as is.

-That triangle curves.
    **Dont like, but thats a personal opinion.

**They look OK.

-The vB3 integration.
    **What is that?

-The advertisments.
    **What about them? There position? Get rid of them, but if you have to have them, then the positioning isn't bad.IMO

**I like the stars, i quite like the graphics, but i feel the site still has quite an overly basic design to it.IMO.

-That little div I created to wrap the search button and bold it to make it always look like an active form.
    **Not sure what you want to hear?

Overall comment: It's a good idea, the site isn't a bad one, but I feel it doesn't quite hit the mark, something about it misses the professional mark, it's been a long day at the office and I just cant pin point what it is.
    The future will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.

Member #
    Thank you all for the comments! now let's get to the replies:

As to the main page, we will change it soon, see http://forums.websitefaq.com/showthread.php?t=10 .

trev.pope, thanks for the detailed reply:

-The colors.
    ** Not keen on the red, the blue color of the star seems right, but the red seems to bright compared to the blue. -And I was thinking that the red is maybe too dark... So I think it's balancing... ;-)

** I like the logo. -Thanks

**As above, dont think you can leave it as is. As I said, will change it soon.

-That triangle curves.
    **Dont like, but thats a personal opinion. -OK, I just thought and still thinking that it's more creative and different from that circle curves, it's just different... I like it.

**They look OK.

-The vB3 integration.
    **What is that? The integration of the vBulletin forums system with the website's style and systems.

-The advertisments.
    **What about them? There position? Get rid of them, but if you have to have them, then the positioning isn't bad.IMO

The position (They will stay), the lil' gradients near them...

**I like the stars, i quite like the graphics, but i feel the site still has quite an overly basic design to it.IMO.

Basic? It seems like the most designed part of Websitefaq, but I think it's OK like that and there's no need to change something.

**Not sure what you want to hear?
    If you noticed it, if you're thinking it's good (notice the double border when the form is focused).

Overall comment: It's a good idea, the site isn't a bad one, but I feel it doesn't quite hit the mark, something about it misses the professional mark, it's been a long day at the office and I just cant pin point what it is.

Thanks, I think that thing you're looking for is the neon colors or all that 3d things like the highlights and shadows, the gradients and all, or maybe the logo with that star, I'll try to see what it is and think about it.

Thanks again everyone, it was really mice to hear

Member #
    Netscape

i wanted to see what it looked like at my school, they use netscape 4.7 :S and it kinda srews up your site...i dont know if alot of ppl are still using this version but yah...

Member #
    Well, it's way too old version, I don't really care :-P But thanks for trying, and install a new browser in your school ;-)

Remove Ads