Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts

Thread: Help finish the look of a new cannabis website

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    1.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    1.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    1.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Help finish the look of a new cannabis website

Hello everyone, almost finished with the website, but hitting a wall when it comes to the background of the main body and getting the website to fall into place & tie itself together.

www.ohiocannabis.com

Any suggestions as to what I should do for the body background? I'm totally stumped at the moment. Another image like the header? Or would that be too busy and maybe just a repeatable gradient image? If so, any suggestions on the color? Or help making one?

Also I know that the navigation bar seems a bit out of place as far as the color goes, any suggestions on to what to do or which color would work better?

Perhaps a repeatable gradient image for that as well?

I have to touch up some parts of the code for a few various things, feel free to point them out, but this is mainly for finishing the overall look & feel of the website.

I am using www.invisionpwer.com IPS Suite 4.0 software.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Thegreywizard; Nov 22nd, 2015 at 02:31 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think it'd be fine with a white background. An image would make it too busy. I'd also suggest incorporating some green into the site since the logo has green in it. Maybe the sign-in button and/or the topics column - just an idea. Otherwise, not bad.

Member #
    Ok I changed teh background to white, but now I think it's almost too much white? What do you guys think?

I'll look into incorporating some of the logo green into a couple of places.

What about the main navigation bar color? Does it look out of place? Perhaps another shade of blue, or a blue gradient of some kind?

Thanks btw.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegreywizard View Post
    Ok I changed teh background to white, but now I think it's almost too much white? What do you guys think?

I'll look into incorporating some of the logo green into a couple of places.

What about the main navigation bar color? Does it look out of place? Perhaps another shade of blue, or a blue gradient of some kind?

Thanks btw.
    White/whitespace is a good thing to have at times, and I do not think you need to worry about that. My bigger issue is actually the blue in the nav. Its a darker shade of blue than the other blue you have. Id pick one (personally i like the lighter blue) and stick with that.

Heres a tip, when I work out color schemes I try and use as few colors as possible. I also dont use pure white or black. If you look on a lot of sites, we can take Youtube for example. It appears to be white but its actually a very very light grey. I tend to use something like #efefef for white or something very close to it. I then will decide on a "main accent color" whatever color will be the most used (besides black/white) and will create my black from that. A really dark dark bluish grey will look black when not next to a pure black itself. From there any other color I use is based off of that main color. It might not be blue itself but it will look good next to the blue. Ive taken color theory and that has helped me a lot, but I still have my biggest design issues revolve around color. Its just a tough choice. I will use things like Adobe Color and ColourLovers to help find inspiration.

Now, I don't mean to be rude, but I think you need a designers help, and heres why. Cannabis is a very controversial topic. Some people still do not know enough about it and will revert back to all the bad information the school, media, and govt have been shoveling down our throats. Your sites design (and logo for that) are very amateurish. I am a strong advocate of legalization both medically and recreationally so I might look past that if I visit your site. On the contrary however, someone who is seeking info and trying to make their own decision on it or to find out if they have been wrong all this time may not. It sounds dumb that we would judge the truth based on appearance but no matter how much good info you have if they don't take you serious enough to read it, it wont matter. I recently worked with a medical dispensary here in California. They were having legal issues and funny enough one of the recommended solutions from the lawyer was to turn their image around. They needed to look more clean and professional. I took inspiration from medical design. They are too small to need a website right now so I cant really show you examples, and I do not have permission to post the work to forums sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gesturepoke likes this.

Member #
    Ok I took your advice & adjusted a few things, added in some grey to the background instead of just pure white, I think it's easier on the eyes.

I also changed the main navigation bar to match the title bars of the rest of the website, but is it me or do they still look a bit off color from each other?

Any other advice anyone can give? This is still a work in progress and a lot to do, but I think it's coming along pretty good.

I need to add more to the main page, what exactly I'm not sure. Any tips on that? What kind of feeds or content in general I can add without clogging it up too much?

And great advice about keeping the website clean & professional, honestly it's my original intention. I didn't look at it from the perspective you brought up, but it's a critical one I believe and will include that in my design & the information I offer on the site.

I do like the logo, but realize its not the best ever and always open to change. I need to find a website full of designers that bid for your business... anyone know of a website like that? I used to know of a really popular one, but forget what it's called. But you would have multiple designers making you logos, web designs etc and you didn't have to pay until you chose one. Really opened up the talent pool for getting great work done and forced the best of the best to make you something great by having the designers compete against each other.

What about the header background image? I think it looks cool, but once again, not married to it.

Do you think it looks better now with just those few changes already?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegreywizard View Post
    Ok I took your advice & adjusted a few things, added in some grey to the background instead of just pure white, I think it's easier on the eyes.

I also changed the main navigation bar to match the title bars of the rest of the website, but is it me or do they still look a bit off color from each other?

Any other advice anyone can give? This is still a work in progress and a lot to do, but I think it's coming along pretty good.

I need to add more to the main page, what exactly I'm not sure. Any tips on that? What kind of feeds or content in general I can add without clogging it up too much?

And great advice about keeping the website clean & professional, honestly it's my original intention. I didn't look at it from the perspective you brought up, but it's a critical one I believe and will include that in my design & the information I offer on the site.

I do like the logo, but realize its not the best ever and always open to change. I need to find a website full of designers that bid for your business... anyone know of a website like that? I used to know of a really popular one, but forget what it's called. But you would have multiple designers making you logos, web designs etc and you didn't have to pay until you chose one. Really opened up the talent pool for getting great work done and forced the best of the best to make you something great by having the designers compete against each other.

What about the header background image? I think it looks cool, but once again, not married to it.

Do you think it looks better now with just those few changes already?
    The blues look different because of the colors surrounding it, its hard to explain but thats how colors work. In my Color & Design class we had an assignment to paint colors on squares cut them out n then place them next to other colors, the same color can look completely different when surrounded by certain colors.

More isn't always a good thing. Don't ever add more because you can, add it because you need to. If you have everything on the homepage that you need on there then thats fine.

The header image to me looks fine, granted I am viewing this on my phone and it might not look as good on a bigger screen.

As far as a site that you can get people to do what you said, just don't. Its bad for everyone. As a designer it effects me personally because you in essence devalue our work. I could go on a long and detailed reason why its bad for everyone but I will save you the trouble. Heres what I would do if you are on a very tight budget. Go to a school that offers design. You can find a student who will help you out and you in return will be helping him/her get real client work for their portfolio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads