Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Review please

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Review please

Hello everyone, I'm new here! Could I have a review of my website, aquariumkids.com, please? If you could leave some comments on it as well too, that would be great. Thanks so much! - Evan

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think that is very, very simple design.
    I dont know if this can even called "web design"

First, you need to make and put a logo!
    Second, you need to make your main text, less wide.
    Not 100%, i can not read it in my desktop, screen.
    It tired me.

Member #
    Liked
    300 times
    Evan, using a simple design is probably a good idea until you learn more about design or development. Not bad for someone so young. My question is where do you want to go from here? Do you want to be a web designer, developer, or just help your audience with their problems?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by george.weballey View Post
    I think that is very, very simple design.
    I dont know if this can even called "web design"

First, you need to make and put a logo!
    Second, you need to make your main text, less wide.
    Not 100%, i can not read it in my desktop, screen.
    It tired me.
    It maxes out. Should I make the max width smaller? Screen Shot 2015-12-21 at 8.03.37 PM.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm not exactly sure where I'm going with this. While I definitely wish to help people learn how to properly care for their fish, I also wish to have a pleasing web design for my visitors.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    New site updates:

1. Bolded important homepage links
    2. Separated that nasty block of homepage text with headers and 2 boxes
    3. Changed mobile CSS to have the width of the screen so that it must 1000px instead of 1300px before maxing out the content width

How do I go about designing a logo?

Screen Shot 2015-12-21 at 9.35.24 PM.jpg
    Last edited by aquariumkids.com; Dec 21st, 2015 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added image

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    There is nothing fancy in the design of your site you should think about revamping the site.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This is the problem with asking designers for advice. Every one of them focuses on the aesthetic rather than the most important thing...the content. The guy has built something very useful and very helpful and some of you worry about whether he has a freakin' logo?!? Come on.

Evan: as I told you in another thread, focus on your content first and foremost. You clearly have knowledge and you clearly have experience. Use those. Whatever you do from a design point of view, don't stray from this. You're a smart kid, and being a smart kid will help you more than worrying about doing what everyone else does or wants you to do. Take it from an old man of 38.

As far as the layout goes, I wouldn't worry about a logo as much as "how to draw attention to the important parts of your site" i.e. those sheets. What I would suggest you do is put them as high up as possible on the home page. I'm going to use a web hosting template as an example of how you can do that.

Hosto ? Bootstrap Responsive HTML Template Preview - ThemeForest

Do something like this, except link your betta and goldfish templates the way "secure and reliable"/"super fast"/"support" are designed. Use the boxes to draw attention to them as key portions of content and use simple images/boxes/colors to separate your areas. Oh...and don't use the template/code. Build something similar from scratch.

When you're designing your content, think of it the same way. People tend to read short passages more easily, so use things besides borders to break them up if you can.

But again, stay true to your content. Make sure your knowledge is on full display. You've got quite a bit of knowledge on the subject of fish. That's the key.
    delstu and aquariumkids.com like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    300 times
    I agree with The Game. I recently saw a request for a site review for a page that placed design above everything else. Most designers loved it, but I hated it. Why? Really fancy design but I couldn't figure out what the site was about. The purpose of design is to highlight your content, not to obscure it.

I would suggest moving “My current work” section down below “Our history” section.

And again, as The Game said, you can improve your design by adding images to each page. Be sure to use relevant images/photos. I see too many sites adding irrelevant images that make me ask “what are they thinking”? For instance, on your Goldfish Care page you could use a picture of a goldfish, then in the fish tank section, a picture of a fish tank. How many images to a page depends on how much content on the page – don't overdo.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Okay, I don't have this version uploaded to the public yet as I still have to finish writing the Guppy Care Sheet and fix some things up on mobile, but I've placed more emphasis upon my content through some images. What do you think?

Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 12.42.55 PM.jpg

And @James More: how do you propose I do that?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aquariumkids.com; Dec 22nd, 2015 at 05:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads