Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By BidDiscover
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts

Thread: Thooughts on Website and Concept please. Just Launched

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Thooughts on Website and Concept please. Just Launched

Please take a look at www.biddiscover.com and let us know what you think of the concept and our website

Bid Discover was built with the intentions of giving our members a chance to find NEW items at a large discount. Members buy bids (cost $1/bid) then use these bids on items they are interested in buying. Every time they use a bid on an item the price decreases by $1. A member may choose at any time to exercise the BUY NOW option and purchase that item for that cost. There are not time limits to our auctions and nothing resets like penny auction websites. We have no bots or automated software for bidding. Our Profits are built in to the starting price so there is no need for us to alter the auctions in anyway.

Members need to use their Bids in order to see the BUYNOW price. Once their it is up to that member whether or not they are interested in buying that item at the BUYNOW price or not. USed wisely members should not use more then 5-10 bids per item and see a significant decrease in the items they are interested in,

Thanks in advance for your time!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not going to comment on the aesthetics of the website. There will be plenty of people on this forum that will do that, and quite frankly in this case I'm not sure it matters.

My issue is with the concept and its strong resemblance on the surface to Quibids. For those who don't know what Quibids is, it has been long held in contempt by several people (myself among them) for being extremely misleading and tricking people into paying to bid on auctions that they stand little to no chance at winning. Basically, the idea is that one person "wins" the item at a reduced price but several others end up paying for it. It's sort of like a crowdfunding site if the donors had absolutely no idea that they were donating money.

Top 86 Complaints and Reviews about Quibids.com <-- here are some people that were ripped off. Way too much smoke not to be any fire.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuiBids.com <-- as much as I hate linking to Wikipedia for things, it's a pretty good low-level explanation of how the site "works".

This is a very good example of why I strongly despise the practice of "cloning" sites and ideas. Just because someone builds a site and it gets some traffic and you heard about it and it's "popular" doesn't mean that

1) it's a good idea;
    2) that it's a successful idea, and;
    3) it's a profitable idea.

Personally, I'd scrap this idea completely. Then again, I'd never have even started this idea in the first place.
    satindertech likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i agree with you and the penny auction sites. Unlike them we are offering our members a chance to purchase these items at anytime they want. There are no time limits nor are the any restrictions to when they buy the item. It is up to that member to decide when they place a bid if they want to buy it at that price or not. Some may choose to wait longer and see if they can get it at a lower price. Can another member bid on that item and buy it before the other member checks back, Absolutely. Bidding here should take place by a member every 15- 60 minutes depending on the item.
    satindertech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't know. That wouldn't inspire any more confidence in me. If I can use eBay for free and know what I'm bidding on and the price it's going to, I'd rather do that. I also get things at between 50-80% off retail and I don't pay a thing unless I buy something. That's a much better business model.

If there was a way to guarantee that a user could save at least the cost of the bids on a product, then that might help (depending on the terms of the guarantee). Even that wouldn't be a given, though.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    It is amusing to me seeing the quidbids and its similar competitions commercials on TV. It is even more amusing when people actually buy into it all. I remember sitting at the table around Halloween time last year and one of the commercials came on. One of the persons visiting started talking about how they love that site and have ALMOST won a DSLR or something for $35. The other gullible people started ooohing and awwing. She said she has been a member for over a year and that its not that expensive. You spend $20-25 a month and you get the chance to win.

I did the math, $20/mon is $240 a year for anyone who wasn't sure. So within a year she has spent $240 and has absolutely NOTHING to show for it. Except the story of almost winning a camera for $35.

Granted if she had won, the $240 + $35 would indeed have been a great deal.

Anyway, that isn't a very interesting story so lets get on to the actual topic.

Game has pointed out huge holes in your strategy. You probably weren't exepcting that in a critique but it is probably some of the best advice/critique you will get. I wont batter the issues game brought up anymore, but rather approach it from the design side.

Game brings up not having very much confidence. Well those graphics aren't helping. That logo reminds me of an old grocery store logo. I can't identify where exactly what time this was from but it feels old n it feels out of place. It looks silly and unprofessional and thus causing it to not ensure much confidence.

Your slides in the slider as just as bad. You obviously did this on your own or paid a very bad designer to do them. Whoever designed the images has very little to no idea about things such as hierarchy, color, or even composition. They are bad, and would scare me away from the site. The icons for buying bids are ugly as well.

Your site appears on mobile and it looks like there was an attempt at responsive design. The execution is off and the issues I see lend me to believe that a) this is a theme, b) the responsive aspect is a plugin, c) your designer got lazy and didn't check everything. More than likely its a combo of all 3, c) is guaranteed true as if it weren't I wouldn't have seen it, because it would have been fixed. Theres no need for me to list ALL the things wrong with the responsive design, but I will point out that for one, the Macbook Pro on your homepage has been stretched. The screen appears to be in the shape of a square which we know is not the shape it should be. Most screens, the MBP especially come in with the 16:9 ratio. Yours is far from that.

And this is just what I found within the first fee minutes.

One other thing that I will point out, Game has already mentioned it but it feels worth mentioning. No prices? How the hell am I suppose to know how cheap I can really get your product without a price? Have you ever taken a second to analyze how/why Quidbids and other sites are able to bring in those numbers of visitors? Its the fact that they SHOW the low prices. Do you think that many people would just trust Quidbids? Buy bids for $20 for a chance to win cheap stuff! We wont tell you how cheap tho, just gotta trust us! If I was crazy enough to want to do that I definitely wouldn't do it on your site. The amazingly low prices are what attract people to these sites. You have taken a flawed business plan and used one of its major selling points to create another flaw. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    https://www.weismarkets.com/ <-- might be that one.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I did not like the first impression - the stuff I saw before scrolling created an impression that it is not a serious website, hard to say what exactly, but it created a feeling that it is some sort of scam. I would definitely change the rotating images at the top to something that does not 'shout' that much.

As for the concept, I have never heard of any websites like that and it is surprising that people buy into this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    hiitsme: QuiBids has been around for a while. They advertise quite aggressively on US television in particular...I seem to recall their ads on NFL Network, among others. So the model is not a new one. It's just not an overly popular model.

Remove Ads