Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I could use some feedback on this ssd hosting website...

It's not final yet, as I have to finish the content, come up with some sort of background image for what's currently a big orange blob on the home page, and of course, make a logo (working on that!), and tweak a few things, but overall I'd like some feedback on how the site looks. Thanks!

Home - SSDroute

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    If it's so awful nobody even wants to say anything about it I'll be quite insulted as I spent a lot of time on that

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Well i will be honest, I didn't even look at it because you started with "its not final yet, as I have to finish the content." I would much rather wait until the site is finished because, well then it will be finished.

I will leave some thoughts on just the home page since I assume that would be the closest to completion, and when the whole sites done will have another look. Also remember I am on my phone so it may be different if I were on a desktop.

For starters, the logo, i know you said you are making something and thats not finished(sort of why I wanted to wait), but what bugs me is that its on its own line above the menu. The menu breaks the dark bg and just throws it all off. Id really move that logo to the same line as the menu. Right now it just sits off on its own looking sad. I am also not a fan of the way it looks (ie. The border and thin lines) it looks like it is a plugin?

The text needs some work. Right now it looks like the spacing between each line could be shrunk just a little. Your text feels smaller than most do on my phone so the spacing shows more for me. If it were bigger font I may have never noticed it. Again not a fan of the buttons, they look like they belong in a plugin.

As far as colors go, well I am not really a fan of any of the colors but that may be because you have no images and all the colors are in huge chunks. It may be better when its done.

As far as copy, well I am not going to be too picky, one thing that bugs me and I am not sure why exactly is the "we don't upsell useless garbage." Again I am not sure why that bugs me, but it does?

Well theres some things for you to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Site is simple. It will be better if you add some graphics or pictures in the front page to highlight your service offered.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    As far as copy, well I am not going to be too picky, one thing that bugs me and I am not sure why exactly is the "we don't upsell useless garbage." Again I am not sure why that bugs me, but it does?
    It bothers you because it has a negative connotation at the end. If it said "we only sell you what you'll need to run a stable, reliable website" or something to that effect, it would sound much nicer.

It's the same logic as the "unlimited storage space" logic. Yes, it's absolutely true that no hard drive has unlimited storage space. Yes, it's absolutely true that hosting companies shouldn't offer this because it's incredibly misleading...and unfortunately, that includes Sectorlink. The problem is twofold:

1) The major players started doing it. On a not-so-unrelated note, SCREW YOU HOSTGATOR.
    2) The hosting market, which is for the most part so unbelievably greedy that they'd expect a host to fly it to the moon and back for $5.00 a month, bought the Big Lie and now everyone pretty much has to follow along.

Unfortunately, you're exactly the wrong person to be pointing it out because you have a vested interest. Your logic is spot-on and irrefutable, but your optics are terrible...and optics generally trump logic when it comes to humans, which is why I don't talk to humans very much.

That means you have to rely on people such as myself and Vapr_Arts, who know what you're talking about, to be able to point it out for you and you need us to have enough influence to get others to follow suit. It sucks hard, but that's reality.

Contrast Ratio: Easily calculate color contrast ratios. Passing WCAG was never this easy! <-- here's my major issue. Orange is an absolute b*tch of a colo(u)r to work with. It looks better on white than it does on black, but it's also harder to read because of the contrast ratio. A red might be more effective or possibly a darker shade of orange.

I don't have much to add other than that, mostly because you're not finished.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    Well i will be honest, I didn't even look at it because you started with "its not final yet, as I have to finish the content." I would much rather wait until the site is finished because, well then it will be finished.

I will leave some thoughts on just the home page since I assume that would be the closest to completion, and when the whole sites done will have another look. Also remember I am on my phone so it may be different if I were on a desktop.

For starters, the logo, i know you said you are making something and thats not finished(sort of why I wanted to wait), but what bugs me is that its on its own line above the menu. The menu breaks the dark bg and just throws it all off. Id really move that logo to the same line as the menu. Right now it just sits off on its own looking sad. I am also not a fan of the way it looks (ie. The border and thin lines) it looks like it is a plugin?

The text needs some work. Right now it looks like the spacing between each line could be shrunk just a little. Your text feels smaller than most do on my phone so the spacing shows more for me. If it were bigger font I may have never noticed it. Again not a fan of the buttons, they look like they belong in a plugin.

As far as colors go, well I am not really a fan of any of the colors but that may be because you have no images and all the colors are in huge chunks. It may be better when its done.

Well theres some things for you to look at.

Great input, thank you! I've begun working on the logo but it's not done yet.

I have swapped out my primary and secondary orange colors so the darker one is more prominent - it seems to be a bit easier on the eyes.

I did change the "upsell useless garbage" sentence to something less aggressive..

I put a button on the right side of the header to balance it out a bit - do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by PreciousReed View Post
    Site is simple. It will be better if you add some graphics or pictures in the front page to highlight your service offered.
    I appreciate the input - I do plan to add a little icon or image (some sort of graphic) to each "service" on the home page and each "feature" on the home page and the web hosting/reseller hosting/dedicated servers page.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    It bothers you because it has a negative connotation at the end. If it said "we only sell you what you'll need to run a stable, reliable website" or something to that effect, it would sound much nicer.

It's the same logic as the "unlimited storage space" logic. Yes, it's absolutely true that no hard drive has unlimited storage space. Yes, it's absolutely true that hosting companies shouldn't offer this because it's incredibly misleading...and unfortunately, that includes Sectorlink. The problem is twofold:

1) The major players started doing it. On a not-so-unrelated note, SCREW YOU HOSTGATOR.
    2) The hosting market, which is for the most part so unbelievably greedy that they'd expect a host to fly it to the moon and back for $5.00 a month, bought the Big Lie and now everyone pretty much has to follow along.

Unfortunately, you're exactly the wrong person to be pointing it out because you have a vested interest. Your logic is spot-on and irrefutable, but your optics are terrible...and optics generally trump logic when it comes to humans, which is why I don't talk to humans very much.

That means you have to rely on people such as myself and Vapr_Arts, who know what you're talking about, to be able to point it out for you and you need us to have enough influence to get others to follow suit. It sucks hard, but that's reality.
    I'm hoping that clients will appreciate the honesty - I could just as easily sell "Unlimited" SSD space, but I refuse to do that. I do use CloudLinux to manage resources between the shared hosting clients but I use it for its ability to improve stability under peak loads and better security, not to cram thousands of hosting accounts on one server.
    Last edited by noodles415; Jan 30th, 2016 at 09:48 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noodles415 View Post
    Great input, thank you! I've begun working on the logo but it's not done yet.

I have swapped out my primary and secondary orange colors so the darker one is more prominent - it seems to be a bit easier on the eyes.

I did change the "upsell useless garbage" sentence to something less aggressive..

I put a Live Chat button on the right side of the header to balance it out a bit - do you have any feedback on how to make it pop more so people chat with me?
    I do enjoy that orange a lot more than the previous. It still feels dull without any images though. That is a problem not because its not "pretty" but because it makes it look unfinished, which it is.

I believe that the "upsell useless garbage" was replaced with "our prices are upfront, and there are no hidden fees."? Either way reading it through sounds better.

I don't feel like that live chat balances anything out, and it still bugs me that the menu is down on its own line. It may be the way the light background breaks up the dark and orange? I just really dislike how that looks.

As far as how to get people to click on that I would say to go and look at some sites and see how their call to actions and buttons look. Your buttons look a little old school to me.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You're closer from this point of view:

Tanaguru Contrast-Finder

You may want to try some of the darker colors that match to help you with the contrast.

Alternatively, you may want to try a red. Something like this:

Contrast Ratio: Easily calculate color contrast ratios. Passing WCAG was never this easy!

That's the Sedona Red the Arizona Diamondbacks use in their uniforms.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Made some changes. Still not done, but at least I added some color to the home page. Right now I don't have good icons, but I'm going to get an icon set for better ones soon.
    Last edited by noodles415; Feb 06th, 2016 at 02:08 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Is there any way you could position the menu button next to the logo? If not I would just go back to not having the "menu" copy on the left. I know I said ai hated it on its own line by itself but I think that your solution has the potential to add some confusion to a visitor or 2.

I do like the look of it now that it has Icons but I'd suggest either centering all of them or alternating between a left float and a right so that they aren't all positioned to the left. Personally I would go for the alternating.

If I were you I would read up a little on balance and composition. For the most part I think balance relates more to design and some of the small issues you are having but understanding a little of composition might not hurt you either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads