Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Recently I'm improved the look and functionality of my site and would appreciate opinions and constructive criticism. It's a very original design for a community site -- I don't create any real content, technically -- users create posts with images, and can comment on existing posts.

First I should mention that though the site works with Opera, IE, and Mozilla, it won't work on old versions of them -- you need a fairly recent version.

Anyway, since there's still a little work to be done, there are a few specific parts of the site I'd like opinions on -- the main page, primarily. Click the thumbnails along the top of the page to view a post. You may notice one post with a strange brown color scheme and an annoying script font -- this is just because people who create a post can customize the colors and fonts for it, and I demonstrated that with a deliberately weird post. So it's not actually part of the site.

Anyway, also check out the New Post page. I tried to make it intuitive with clear documentation. If you want, you can create a post to see what the process is like (to help judge the site) and then edit it and click "delete". As long as no one comments it, it can be deleted just fine.

I'm not going to post some dumb poll as I don't care about scores so much as specific thoughts. edit: Oh, it's automatic.
    ~CGameProgrammer( );

Member #
    The site looks a little dark, and the user interface isn't very intuitive. I had to look at the page title to figure out what the point of your site was (Developer Image Exchange). For people that visit the site regularly, they probably know how it works and where everything is. But from a new user standpoint, I was very turned off at not understanding the site, and the design didn't encourage me to figure it out.

Member #
    That's a good point. Well I'm surprised you consider it too dark, but I guess it isn't clear what's what. I'd better try to resolve that...
    ~CGameProgrammer( );

Member #
    The site is a gray background with black text. It's not "black", but it can't get much darker and still be ledgible.

Member #
    The background of posts is gray 160. Think it should be more like 192? That's #A0A0A0 vs #C0C0C0. Technically, since people who post things can choose whatever colors they wish, they could choose a lighter or white background if they want to.

By the way, the site's purpose is/will be a place to upload screenshots of your projects, desktop captures, "relevant" photos, or relevant artwork. (Relevant to software development or developers.) I'm going to add categories to posts -- you choose which of the four best describes you post, and well, I'll update this post when that feature is implemented.

O/T, but who's responsible for this site's webdesign? These forums, specifically.
    ~CGameProgrammer( );

Member #
    Filburt1 is the administrator/owner/designer/bringer of administration on these here forums.

Member #
    Do you think it's more intuitive now? I added explanatory text specifically in response to your suggestion, plus a number of other changes...
    ~CGameProgrammer( );

Member #
    IMHO, it is still not very intuitive, you have added a short description of what the site is about underneath the logo, which helps, but it really lacks in terms of usability. I found it really hard to get to grips with getting around your site.

The site is dark, but then games sites seem to get away with it.

I think the idea of the site is really good, but I don't think that the current site pulls it off very well.
    The future will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.

Member #
    I agree w/ Trev. When I come to your site, my eye is drawn to the images first, and after seeing those, I dont want to go back up and read the tiny black text on the dark grey bg under your banner. I actually wouldn't have seen it if it wasn't for Trev's post.

I think the problem is that it seems like the first page is a random thread from your board. It's like people coming to WDF and seeing this thread as the homepage. Show a list of the different forums or threads, or find another way to make the homepage look like the "master" page, the page above all. Make it stand out from the others.

Member #
    Hm... well, there are no forums, and the 10 most recent threads are shown -- that's what the 10 images are. You click one to view that thread. The most recent one is automatically opened, but this is apparently confusing and for me it even gets annoying, so I've disabled it. Instead, some more explanatory text is shown. Does this help?

This isn't a conventional website, however. Most websites' main pages are totally worthless -- they contain either recycled news few care about, or just a bunch of crap. My main page is the only page most people will care about -- it's where the content is. But I guess this transition isn't very easy.

I really appreciate your comments; it's hard for me to see the site in others' eyes, since I'm constantly changing things and fiddling with it... in fact, a few weeks after I first publicly announced the site in February of this year, I took an HTML snapshot... the images are naturally broken links, but it is still viewable. Here it is (500KB!). I set it to "View All Posts" for the snapshot, and there were 39, hence the large size. Anyway you click a title to view that post. Yeah, the design was horrible -- you can see how much it's changed since then. Initially, posts were laid out like news headlines would be.
    ~CGameProgrammer( );

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads