Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: portfolio site

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi, i'm new to this forum, so sorry is this is the wrong section, any comments on my portfolio would be cool, thanks, Jay.
    www.orangeocean.net/jay

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It completely requires Flash, which is very bad...
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I don't do html work and never will, so why bother?

Member #
    First I believe everybody that has a Flash site have an HTML site as well. But in terms of the site, my only nit picks are when the menu's drop down with the bars at the bottom. I think those bars should fill out the rest of the page (as they do when the menu's are down) and take away the option to draw back the screen when it comes down. Instead of having that option have it so when people click on another menu option that screen will close (the current one that it's on) and the new one will open or come down.

Besides that, very nice site. I like the colors and the fact that it's nice and clean, I'm not a big fan of flashy sites so it's a very nice site IMO.

Member #
    thanks for that, if i have a html site which then links to a bunch of flash sites it defeats the purpose. My business site has a html option and all our clients go through that, this portfolio was somewhere to show off, and i find html the most restrictive show off tool

Member #
    "It completely requires Flash, which is very bad... "

???

I think it looks alright jaybirch. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before on ultrashock. bit too small for me though.

maybe speed up fps too?

keep up the good work

Member #
    fps is at 41, and yes it was on ultrashock too.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Originally posted by jaybirch
    I don't do html work and never will, so why bother?
    I'm about to go on a rant that's not directed at you specifically, so please don't take it personally. This is directed at everyone in general that shares this attitude (and yes, I know quite a few people in this boat):

Flash is for show, and code is for dough. Those who get it understand that Flash is a rather restrictive medium in that it doesn't lend itself to search engine promotion; not everyone has the Flash plugin; there is still a large degree of resistance among those both in and outside of the design community; and it can't be used for a large number of websites, especially storefronts and e-commerce.

Consider if you will a definition of the word "Flash" (provided courtesy of dictionary.com):

To move or proceed rapidly.

Basically, the concept of Flash is to try and attract and retain attention with rapid motion, the latter of which is a very difficult thing to do. While motion attracts the human eye initially, the individual becomes immune to it as time goes by and if there isn't any substance to back the flash up...bye bye user.

As far as your site goes, I will not question your aesthetic and graphical ability...as far as I'm concerned, it's better than mine will ever hope to be, and it would be rather hypocritical of me to do so. I will, however, question your logic and user-friendliness. Your mystery meat submenus make it rather difficult for the user to determine where to go next, your fonts are small and somewhat hard to read, and you mention in your "about me" page that you "live to booze." If I'm looking for someone to do something for me, the last thing I want to hear is that he/she is under the influence.

I only wish I had a nickel for every site that I've seen that's just like yours, where the user is absolutely convinced that a flashy site that's full of pretty graphics and unusual animations is going to make him millions of dollars. These are the same people that within a year end up as either a bottom feeder in some large corporation making the square root of jack all saying things like "I'm enhancing the corporate infrastructure by implementing a unique interaction sequence among employees, stressing the values of co-operative interoffice communication and adjusting to the paradigms of a global marketplace", or ending up screwing up some menial job that a trained chimp could do while constantly bitching that "there are no jobs in IT anymore."

In other words...learn some HTML. It'll be much more useful to you in the long run.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I spent 45 seconds at your site and left.

It's too slow
    It has noise
    It's flash
    It's microscopic
    Your menus might as well be pictures of dog feces for all I'm concerned.

Back off the design, realize that there's other people than you visiting your site.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Originally posted by Brak

Your menus might as well be pictures of dog feces for all I'm concerned.
    Remind me not to come back to WDF after going to the bathroom again.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads