Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Could use some feedback, both positive and negative!

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Could use some feedback, both positive and negative!

Hello everyone, I have been working on my personal portfolio website and minus some fixes on mobile it is pretty much complete. I could really use some help from everyone here in getting some feedback. I will more than welcome both positive and negative feedback, just looking for some honesty from people who have been around design before. Thank You to everyone in advance.

Derek Estrada - Front-End Web Design & Development | Graphic Design

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    +Great Design, very modern with good flow
    +Love the way you displayed your work, very creative
    +That timeline though, very nice.
    +Responsive
    +Good Load Time

-The navigation isn't clear (don't know where it is going to take me until after I click, maybe a title attribute or something?)
    -After clicking on a portfolio piece, the pop up is nice, but I was unaware that clicking would take me to the next piece. This confused me a tad bit until I figured out what was going on. Would be nice to have some indication of what is going to happen if I click.
    -Horizontal scroll bar at smaller viewport on desktop (Chrome)

Overall, great single page site. Love the flow. Creative. Amazing load time. Good job dude!

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    I think you need to put a link on your menu back to the front page. Not everyone knows to click on a logo to return to the home page and not everyone likes to have to move their mouse all the way back up to the top left hand corner.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Thanks for the input! Went back and forth on just icons in the nav or icons and headers so im glad to see some feedback on that. Thanks again!

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Uggg. I am sorry to be brutally honest but I thought it was terrible. When I clicked onto the link I got a black screen with your name and the word visit. My first thought was to click the word visit to get to your site then I noticed the arrow and scrolled down. Now to be honest If I was a typical user searching through a lot of sites I would have just hit the back button and gone back to Google without ever seeing the details of what you have to offer. Once I scrolled down it was sort of ok.

Scrolling down there is a gray bar that covers part of the text as you scroll that is rather distracting. It does disappear as you scroll down. Then you have a block of 12 images that don't really convey a message. I assume they are work you have done but it isn't readily apparent.

Then you have your experience listing midway dental supply. My first thought was what that had to do with anything but then after thinking about it I decided you must have done their web site work but why make people guess.

I am sorry to be negative and really prefer to post good things but really think you need to do some work on it. I am not as expert as some of the others on here but sometimes it is good to get the view of a less experienced person that would more replicate what a potential customer might think.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bleau canon View Post
    I think you need to put a link on your menu back to the front page.
    I hate to post more negative but looked at bleau canon's post which confused me since if there is something more than one page it is not very clear how to get there. I only saw one page.

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    It's a Parallex site and scrolls to each page clicked on in the Menu (upper right hand corner) There is no way to get back to per say the start-up page without clicking on the D in the upper left hand corner.

There needs to be a icon or text link on the Menu to scroll back to the top of the site and not have to click on the D in the upper left hand corner. There is also no scroll back to the top arrow at the bottom.

We would consider this not a user friendly site because of those to missing actions. Most people that visited the site, other than someone that knew what to do, would know to open the Menu in the upper right hand side to scroll to the pages. many people would not know to scroll back to the top of the site you have to click on the D, I suppose his logo.

Another thing too is..most people would have no clue what the icons in the Menu mean. We always use text and not icons on a Menu.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Thanks bleau canon. It is unique and in some ways cool, which is good in a world where so many sites are starting to look like carbon copies of each other but I do agree with you that it isn't very user friendly. I just scrolled down since it was easier than using the icons but do agree that text would be better than the icons and that it would be better not to have to open the menu.

Member #
    Dont apologize for the 'negative' feedback, all feedback only helps me so Thanks! Part of the reason I posted it was to see how user friendly it was. If I am getting more negative responses than positive responses than I will have to make some changes. Thats why i wanted to post it before I was completely finished. Seriously, thanks again, every response helps. If I couldnt handle a little negative feedback I wouldn't have posted it.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I am glad to hear that. I always bothers me to post anything negative since I try to be a positive person and like to suggest things in a positive way. Someone like bleau Canon has more skill and talent in her little finger than I have totally so listen to any suggestions she has since they will be excellent ones.

My thoughts on how to improve it would be:

1. Make the home page more attention grabbing. The blackness with the name has some dynamic qualities to it but doesn't really grab someone's attention.
    2. Fix the navigation the way bleau canon suggested. That will be a big improvement.
    3. Add a little more info to make the dental supply so it creates a clearer picture of it's relevance
    4. On the photo links to your past projects I would put what you did on the first link. When you click one it shows it but some people may not realize that.

I do agree the site shows a lot of creativity and originality which is a big plus and I think if you make some of the changes the others have suggested you will have a great site.
    bleau canon likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads