Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey. Let me know what your opinions are about my Web Design Site.

http://www.memphisx.com

Thanks!
    - Memphis

Member #
    I don't particlarly like pop-up sites- especially when the pop up - pops-up here (see attached).

All pages except home have two scrollbars! (see next post attachment)

I like - just fix the niggles. 3.8/5
    Attached Images Attached Images
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    <<see attached>> - 2 Scrollbars

Also - Google Toolbar Pop-up blocker blocked your site to begin with
    Attached Images Attached Images
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    I am actually planning on Re-Vamping the entire site.. no pop-ups because, as you said, a lot of people are annoyed by pop-ups.

Thanks!

-- Memphis

Member #
    That's actually a very good point that I overlooked (Pop-Up Blockers). Thank you.

-- Memphis

Member #
    When you revamp the site, dont use as many moving images. You have two animations moving on each side ot the text, and your navigation moves. This is very distracting to the viewer, and it takes away from your content.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i don't like it it's very poor designed...work more!!!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm going to have to agree with ironhacker and splufdaddy on this one.

I don't like sites that spawn in a new window; there's no reason whatsoever for it.

The strikethrough CSS effect is great for things such as price reductions and sales, but not for link hover effects.

Too much stuff moves around that should stay still.

I also wouldn't include a link to a Michael Jackson impersonator in your portfolio. Wacko Jacko's taken quite the beating as far as his reputation goes as of late and there are some people out there who would make the mental leap of "Michael Jackson is a child molester pervert circus sideshow freak, and Pete Carter supports this behaviour as an impersonator, and memphisX also supports it as the designer of a site for the impersonator."

I know it's a very weird stretch, but I've actually had a possible client turn me down once because of my association with an existing client. It turns out that the existing client and possible client were doing business together, and for whatever reason it went sour and possible client vowed never to do business with anyone associated with existing client again. It can happen.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Very clever!

Why not keep the design, rename it and put it as part of your portfolio ? Make out it was designed for somebody else who wanted really over-the-top flash graphics?

There is clearly a market for that sort of stuff, so I wouldn't throw it away... it is actually quite "clever", and might suit some sorts of sites... but probably not a webdesign site where the emphasis should be on selling all the aspects of your design and not putting people who just want very business-like HTML sites off.

So my advice....
    a) build an HTML presentation site to promote your work, and ensure that it complies to strict HTML guidelines and put a gif at the bottom to show that it does. And ensure that it not only validates as strict HTML4 but that it also gets approved by BOBBY (the disability people) etc.... that will impress a lot of potential customers. You have taken the time to write strict code and to ensure that nobody is discriminated against...
    b) include the Flash example as part of your portfolio... then those who want Flash sites will see that you can build them too.

Sean

Remove Ads